Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 AM

23 posts, read 71,245 times

Advertisements

Some brief perspective: My fiance and I relocated to Madison from Chicago for my job. I had lived in Austin, Savannah, Nashville and grew up in the Cleveland, OH area. My fiance is from Champaign, IL. We were in Chicago for 3 years.

Random musings on Madison:

A little colder and snowier than I had originally thought, but weather has not been an issue. I can see why everyone has a snowblower.

Traffic situation has been dreamy compared to Chicago. The beltline gets a little backed up at rush hour, but we love being able to get anywhere in Madison in 15 minutes.

We were surprised how suburban the whole Madison area feels. Check that, it almost has a small town, rural feel and attitude amongst some of the populace. Now before you flame me as a big city snob, I have lived in small towns before -- see Savannah - just my initial impression as I've been out and about. We were surprised at the number of guys in camo around here...didn't realize it was such a hunter's paradise.

The scenery is good and we definitely look forward to hitting all of the trails and parks when it warms up.

The Capitol building is impressive!

There is a bar every block it seems. Even the small surrounding towns have 3 or 4 bars even though their population is under a 1,000 people. Not a bad thing in my book.

Cheese curds = heavenly.

Definitely see the East/West divide. We've spent a decent amount of time on both sides. Been to both the West Towne and East Towne Malls, restaurants on both sides, Princeton Club on both sides, etc..I like the East side, but would not necessarily fit in over there. If anyone is from Cleveland, the East side reminds me of Tremont. The West Side feels more yuppy and upscale (yeah, I know, Captain Obvious).

Vibrancy -- I realize it's not Chicago, but Madison doesn't have the vibrancy I thought from everything I read beforehand. Been to places on Atwood and Willy St. Been on State St and University. Been to Middleton and the Hilldale area. Ate at Graze and Great Dane Pub downtown. Been to Verona and Fitchburg. Monona too. All nice and all, but fairly low energy. Especially liked Graze downtown.

People have been pretty friendly, but somewhat reserved and, hate to say it -- small minded and provincial. It pains me to type that and I sound like an ass, but it is a first impression. The friendliest people we have met just happen to be from New York. Go figure.

Taxes higher than Illinois.

Food and alcohol very cheap.

Good thrift and furniture stores.

Shopping is pretty good.

Even thought it's 20 degrees out you see people jogging which is nice.

Kids where shorts and a hoodie when it's 15 degrees out. Is that a Wisconsin thing?

Comfortable place to live and our stress level has gone way down. Can not be underestimated. I can see where you find your 5 or 6 go to restaurants and places and just enjoy a much less stressful lifestyle which is what brought us to Madison in the first place.

I know I sound negative, but we are both pleased with the move and look forward to ingratiating ourselves in our new town. I can see where it is family friendly and the city services seem decent. Everyone raves about the schools although we don't have children yet. I could see us being here awhile and adapting to Madison.

Haven't felt the so called notorious Uber Progressive political climate yet. Not concerned even though I lean to the Right. People are people.

Anyway, just my .02 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,152 times
Thanks for the impressions. Not negative at all, I found them quite positive and predict you'll do quite well.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,354 times
I think it useful for people who have lived elsewhere (esp. many places) to give their first impressions for people who are considering living here. I would be curious to hear your observations after six months or one year.

Didn't seem negative to me. You can't love everything about where you live, no place is perfect.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
I have never heard anyone refer to Madison as feeling rural??? What part of the city have you been hanging out in? And people in camo? You mean camoflauge? Maybe you saw some troops returning home from service? I have no idea what you are referring to.

And kids not dressing appropriately for the weather is a UNIVERSAL thing, not a Wisconsin thing.

The rest of your impressions seemed pretty accurate to me as well.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:23 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I have never heard anyone refer to Madison as feeling rural??? What part of the city have you been hanging out in? And people in camo? You mean camoflauge? Maybe you saw some troops returning home from service? I have no idea what you are referring to.
I assume he meant a suburban feel. That is exactly how I think of Madison, esp after even a short trip to a large city.

Re. people in camo, assume he was around during deer season about a month ago. Not exactly camo, but hunters with guns in bright orange, sort of a reverse-camo.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
I have never heard anyone refer to Madison as feeling rural??? What part of the city have you been hanging out in? And people in camo? You mean camouflage? Maybe you saw some troops returning home from service? I have no idea what you are referring to.
Is this sarcasm? you cannot be serious. I was just in Madison over the weekend and noticed people in camo, yes hunting hats, blaze orange, Deer antler stickers on truck windows, the whole 9 as they say. It's not a Madison thing but a Wisconsin thing, I am a little embarrassed by it but you gotta live with it just like the idiots that put a cheese block on their head and think it looks "neat" or "coo"l.

Madison does have some rural parts which is not a bad thing it is just what madison has to offer. I wouldn't feel ashamed of it, I have once said Madison feels like a giant suburb.

Bars on every corner is also a Wisconsin thing, ever notice any small town,WI ?

You will see 5 things, a Church and 4 bars even a town with 45 people.

BTW: Go Bears!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,003 times
You've done a lot in only one month. You definitely need to do another write up in 6 months or a year.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
I just am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of Madison being rural? I think some people may have taken a drive to the country because Madison is not rural, it is the state capitol with suburban sprawl surrounding it for several miles in every direction...but maybe people are thinking of the outlying suburbs? But then again that isn't Madison.

And people in hunting gear in Madison? I haven't seen that unless they are at Sports Authority or Gander Mountain going shopping for, hunting gear. People go up north to hunt, Madison is too populated for that kind of activity...but to see people dressing like that just around town? I suppose you could find some wierdos like that but they could live anywhere for that matter. Probably tourists from Chicago thinking they are going to blend in amidst the rural wilderness that is Madison lol.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I just am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of Madison being rural? I think some people may have taken a drive to the country because Madison is not rural, it is the state capitol with suburban sprawl surrounding it for several miles in every direction...but maybe people are thinking of the outlying suburbs? But then again that isn't Madison.
Not to be picky be there are farm field right outside of madison city limits and actually touching city limits. If you bring up a city limits map and use either street view or sat image of madison you can clearly see farm fields.

So on the edge of town you could be out in the country in less than 5 min.

McCoy Rd to S Syene Rd - Google Maps

Suburbs don't completely surround madison

http://monroenews.biz/madison_map.jpg (broken link)

afterall much of Fitchburg is farm land, "several miles in every direction" is a stretch to me. Then again this is not a bad thing unless you don't like that.

After this is right outside of madison this is a madison suburb:

McCoy Rd to S Syene Rd - Google Maps

Not trying to start a fire but you can go to any city and show areas of rural-ness. I wouldn't take offense to it.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 PM

To prove my point that in any city you can get a country feel here are a few areas in Milwaukee where you would never think you are in Milwaukee but I promise you are in Milwaukee City Limits.

milwaukee - Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=milwau...,94.04,,0,2.53

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=milwau...12,110.68,,0,5

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=milwau...165.43,,0,6.18
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison