Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,710 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information on schools? I am a teacher of 14 years many in alternative schools around the country and I am interested in moving to madison, but terrified about job prospects. Does anyone have advice for me. I am flexible about when I move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,245 times
Check out the schools around Memorial & West high school. That is a good area. Middleton is right next door.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM

99 posts, read 485,767 times
If you are looking for something different than a traditional school, you may want to check out is Madison Country Day out is Waunakee. A non-denominational private school set out in the country with grades pre-K to 12.

Another interesting school is Wingra School. It is a private "progressive" school on the west side of Madison.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
I get the feeling the poster is referring to public schools that cater to our non traditional students. If you work with ESE, ESOL or children with severe behavior disorders, there is plently of work as this is a burn out career anywhere.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 18,030 times
Moving To The Madison Area To Teach?! I Have Some Great Advice: Don't Do It! The Teaching Job Market Here Is Absolutely Hopeless! My Wife With Over 10 Years Experience From Another Market Moved Here To Marry Me, And Even The Schools Here Where She's Been Subbing Won't Hire Her. And, No, There's Nothing Wrong With Her At All, Nor Is She Doing Anything Wrong At All! They Keep Cutting Teaching Jobs In Madison And The Surrounding Areas Are Therefore Very Overcrowded, And Unless You Are Basically Closely Related To A Principal, You Don't Have A Snow Ball's Chance In Hell Of Getting A Teaching Job Around Here. Plus, This Area Is Ridiculously Expensive To Live In For The Midwest. I'm Not Just Complaining Here, But I Hope You Take My Advice, And Run! Run For Your Life! Unless You Want To Live In An Expensive Area And Want To Be Unemployed! Madsion, Wisconsin Sucks!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,150 times
DO NOT MOVE TO MADISON IF YOU PLAN ON TEACHING FOR A LIVING!!! I was born and raised in a small town outside of Madison and have returned here after 8 and a half years of living in Chicago. I was a teacher at one of the top middle schools in Chicago. I earned two Master's Degrees and taught Middle School Science. I was making $63,000 a year. I moved back to WI in June to be with my fiance and I cannot even get an interview!!! I run into countless "others" that hope to be selected out of the crowd and I'm sickend by the rat-race of it all. Bottom line, I've pretty much been told that I will never get hired with my credentials, because I'm too expensive. I will work for the bare minimum just to teach!!!! Its extremely disheartening that I have spent my life as a student, so that I can be "highly qualified" and serve the students to my best ability. And, my return favor is to be pushed away, because I do not fit into the budget. Really, where are our priorities here???? I don't know where else to turn.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:40 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,298 times
Well, it's really not as bad as all that, though it takes work and perseverance. My friend works at Orchard Ridge Elem and they just hired 3 outside hires (meaning not internal transfers). One guy from MI just moved here and hadn't even been here for two months. The trick is he applied by the deadline. MMSD (Madison Metro School District) only accepts applications for reg ed during a small window of time I believe in January. Special ed & ESL teachers year round. I'm not sure how it works for School within a School or Alt High Schools. There is only one in Madison, Sabazz (sp?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison