Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:19 PM

332 posts, read 990,282 times

Advertisements

I just learned that Maine issues non-resident concealed weapons permits so I was going to apply for one since we plan to visit Maine frequently. I'm also hoping that with recent developments in firearm case law (Heller v. D.C. and McDonald v. Chicago) that one day we'll get a 50 state reciprocity bill which would mean that non-resident permit holders like myself would be able to legally carry in NJ since technically we are a "may issue" state. You just have to be famous, wealthy, connected (or all three) to actually get a permit . A federal 50 state reciprocity bill would essentially be a workaround for that. It only failed by 2 or 3 votes in the Senate last time around. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good place on the web where I could get some specific information on the finer points of Maine's concealed carry law such as:

-Can one carry in an establishment which serves alcohol? For example, in Pennsylvania carry in restaurants and bars is completely unrestricted-in other states you can't even carry in a pizza joint if they happen serve beer.

-Is open carry allowed?

-Are there specific rules about carrying firearms in a vehicle? Once again, in Pennsylvania you can carry a loaded handgun but not a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle-just curious what the rule is in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Open carry is allowed. Guns,open, non-concealed, must be empty in a vehicle and must be visible.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:05 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Concealed weapons permit yes.. I am retired law Enforcement and though I "should" know I am a little rusty.. you cannot carry concealed in bars.. reasaurant/bar not sure?? I hardly ever carry and have my concealed because of years of always having a gun I didn't want to give up that choice..

I was hoping to see some new laws here regarding retires LE being able to carry concealed nation wide but it hasn't happend...yet??

Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Open carry is allowed. Guns,open, non-concealed, must be empty in a vehicle and must be visible.
I think I understand this...

Scenario A:
I am carrying a holstered, concealed, loaded handgun and I get into my truck and begin to drive. This is permitted because the gun is on my person?

Scenario B:
I store a rifle in my truck in a rack in the rear window, but it has to be unloaded because the gun is not on my person?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
I think I understand this...

Scenario A:
"and begin to drive. This is permitted because the gun is on my person?

Scenario B:
I store a rifle in my truck in a rack in the rear window, but it has to be unloaded because the gun is not on my person?
If you don't have a concealed carry permit, no gun is to be concealed.

"I am carrying a holstered, concealed, loaded handgun and I get into my truck "

better mean you have a permit. If you get stopped, it could be trouble.

Gun unloaded and the bolt open is the other scenerio. There must be others better versed in this than me... NMLM perhaps.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
If you don't have a concealed carry permit, no gun is to be concealed.

"I am carrying a holstered, concealed, loaded handgun and I get into my truck "

better mean you have a permit. If you get stopped, it could be trouble.

Gun unloaded and the bolt open is the other scenerio. There must be others better versed in this than me... NMLM perhaps.
Gotcha-I'm planning on getting the permit so it sounds like I'd be covered in these situations.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Scenario A:
I am carrying a holstered, concealed, loaded handgun and I get into my truck and begin to drive. This is permitted because the gun is on my person?

Only if you have a concealed weapons permit.

Scenario B:

All long guns must be unloaded in vehicles at all times.

If I have my pants on I'm carrying. 24/7. It's a responsibility more people should assume. Google Luby's Restaurant. Then google Thayne Ormsby.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 PM

163 posts, read 260,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If I have my pants on I'm carrying. 24/7. It's a responsibility more people should assume. Google Luby's Restaurant. Then google Thayne Ormsby.
I ABSOLUTLY agree. Since I was a little girl my father taught me about firearms, safet and personal responsiblity not just for myself but for the nation. Not to mention it was a cheap way to bond....then the firing rang woman shot free on Sundays *LOL*

Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 PM

163 posts, read 260,001 times
Wait...I didnt think about that and moving to Maine...am I going to have to get an out of state license to be able to move from NH to Calais the guns will be packed??? Hhhhhmmmm

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Absolutely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine