Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Just this week got a kit to make mead, takes about 7-14 days, requires 2lbs of honey. Ambrosia Farm Blackberry mead kit purchased at the annual Bonnie Brae Scottish games event down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:01 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Just this week got a kit to make mead, takes about 7-14 days, requires 2lbs of honey. Ambrosia Farm Blackberry mead kit purchased at the annual Bonnie Brae Scottish games event down here.
I've never made mead, but have home-brewed beer for a number of years. Everything I've read regarding mead says it takes many weeks to ferment out properly and many more weeks after that to age/condition properly. So just an FYI.

Its might be drinkable after 7-14 days, but it might taste like honey-flavored lighter fluid.

Maybe some bona fide mead makers can weigh in on this, but I also know that the beer kits do that same thing and low-ball the amount of time it takes for beer to be done and ready to drink.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default beeline

Good to know!

I'll let you know how it goes. Would hate to waste 2lbs of honey.

I have a ancient mead formula somewhere that takes a year or more.

Bottled meade varries as well. Bunratty Meade form Ireland was pretty good. Bartlett Mead Wine from Gouldsboro is a decent drink but I believe is just honey tinted wine vs fermented honey as most of the meads I came across.

I always lay my longbow and arrows across the table before I pour a goblet of meade.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
My experience has been that mead does take 6 months or longer to ferment, and ferments better with the bottom yeasts at lower temps.

However it is possible that with the new GMO turbo-yeasts, you might be able to finish fermenting sooner. Those yeasts are super fast, they will accept much higher specific-gravity, and they will run to much higher alcohol percentages.

If it is a turbo-yeast I would be concerned about the off-alcohols. While all yeasts will produce a tiny percentage of methanols and bytols along with the ethanol, it is my understanding that turbos will produce a higher percentage of the 'off' alcohols. Those off-alcohols are commonly linked to hang-overs. The only practical method of removing them is to remove them as a 'fore-shot'.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
This thread brings to mind the song by Judy Collins: "I always cook with honey"

"I always cook with honey
To sweeten up the night
We always cook with honey
Tell me, how's your appetite...
For some sweet love."

Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 AM

473 posts, read 714,866 times
baklava- it isnt very difficult, buy the pastry sheets in the freezer section. just layers of pastry, butter, honey and walnuts.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,312 times
I tried mead years back at a beekeepers meeting. Not all that impressed with it.. but that's just me(ad).... here I use it in my morning tea... biscuits (with bakewell of course) enjoy it.... love the different flavors you get... never know how it will taste...

Old 07-24-2010, 01:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
A friend of mine is into beekeeping in a pretty big way. He gave me four pints of fresh honey he just extracted. It was VERY nice of him. However my limited use of honey in the kitchen extends to putting some on an English muffin or a spoonful in hot tea. Any suggestions on using Maine honey???
Honey Baked Rabbit: Honey Baked Rabbit or Chicken | Courtesy Of ICook4danny&Puddin Recipes | - user receipe | Foodnetwork.co.uk

I made a batch of it for some friends.

Those who had never eaten rabbit, were squemish about it at first--but after the first helping they were asking for seconds and the recipe.

(When they asked me where I got the rabbit, I casually told them I hit it with my car. LOL)

Old 07-25-2010, 07:44 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
We just finished bottling some honey.

It is 'black' not unlike coffee.

I did some research and discovered that it is due to the presence of knotweed and buckwheat in this area. I may need to pay more attention to when the knotweed is in 'bloom' and harvest our honey before they bloom to avoid blackening our honey. Otherwise we will simply be producing black honey.

[and to anyone else with bees, I did candle it, it does not have a red wine tint. It is black]

Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
A friend of mine is into beekeeping in a pretty big way. He gave me four pints of fresh honey he just extracted. It was VERY nice of him. However my limited use of honey in the kitchen extends to putting some on an English muffin or a spoonful in hot tea. Any suggestions on using Maine honey???
Interesting: Honey as a topical antibacterial agent for treatment of infected wounds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine