Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,019,764 times

Advertisements

This is my current fear...how to continue on without losing everything before my husband and my retirement.

for-the-unemployed-over-50-fears-of-never-working-again: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/110742/for-the-unemployed-over-50-fears-of-never-working-again?mod=fidelity-changingjobs&cat=fidelity_2010_changing_jobs - broken link)

We are only 52 and 53 respectively and he has effectively seasonal trade work and I am working entry-level healthcare, which means I work hard for little wages and, as a newbie, I am afforded little flexibility for time off. We had hoped we could refinance with the low rates and acquire a mortgage free second property as our back-up plan for retirement. At least we have a property with a decent equity to work with, but selling all now means that would take a huge hit with this soft market.
Now the obligations of re-settleing an aging relative look to sap our more immediate assets. These are truly bleak times.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,499,177 times
If you have equity in your property, you might want to consider taking it. If you think the market is "soft" right now, it's going to get worse in the future. The equity you have in this property represents, from what you have stated here, the bulk of the wealth that you have. You need to take stock of what you have available for sure, and what may end of being wishful thinking!

The best way for anyone to have future security is to own outright their home property. As you have expressed an interest in refinancing, I gather that you do not fully own this current property where you are living. You may wish to consider renting temporarily while you use the proceeds of the sale of your current home to purchase land that you can afford to buy for cash, then move some sort of mobile home onto it (purchased for cash), then proceed to building something yourselves that you will not need to finance.

This is not what you expected to hear, and likely not something you would want to do, but if your future looks uncertain, having a roof over your head that you own free and clear is the best security that I know. All this borrowing and debt stuff will never give you security. Buying land and building, small to start, is the way we intend to get established in Maine. I, for one, will have no regrets.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 AM

846 posts, read 1,022,074 times
Nor'Eastah is right, a tax bill once a year is cheaper than a mortgage. I plan on owning outright when I move. I won't be in a castle, but it will be mine. If you can do this your life will improve. In addition, let's not overlook the fact you have family. That is the greatest wealth one can have!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 AM

That is one of the alternatives we are considering. We have enough equity to sell (hopefully) and own a home outright, but that means a major move in order to get the most bang for our buck. Currently we need to stay where we are , at least for a little while, until my mother's situation is resolved or , at least, stabilized.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 AM

625 posts, read 793,268 times
Ok this story is about a irresponsible person. She was let go from a 80 grand a year job. She has taken several vacations overseas AFTER she was let go and the home they live in is worth far more then there income. So what is the real problem here. Well to start with they are spending more money then they make. The should sell the house ( 7 grand a year in taxes!!! ) . She says she is selling some jewelry she is not helping the problem if they have cc debt they are not paying. Then there is the stupidity of this "And she admits some regrets: she had a $180,000 balance in her 401(k) account, and paid $80,000 in penalties and taxes when she cashed it out early. She did not rein in her expenses right away. And now, her $500-a-week unemployment benefits have been exhausted." . I would alos be willing to bet cash money she has not even applied for a job paying less then 30 grand a year.

In short tcrackly unless you are irresponsible and completely stupid you do not have anything to worry about. I don’t think most people who loose there jobs spend money like it is going out of style. Most people don’t drive up CC bills buying things they do not need or going on vacations to other countries while unemployed without even a job prospect in the future.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 AM

I am far from irresponsible and hopefully not stupid...in essence I keep trucking and hope for the best...hopefully these old bones will hold up through my future working years.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,755,224 times
Hey, folks, let's try and keep the topics to items with a Maine focus.

I know pressing national issues dominate our daily lives, but the forum owners prefer that local and national forum topics remain separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine