Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:28 PM

34 posts, read 88,149 times

Advertisements

I like a good micro brew pub and I was wondering if Maine has some good one. Please tell me the good and the bad. I figure Portland has some what about the northern and inland parts of Maine?

Thanks for your replies,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
I tried some of Shipyard's Pumpkinhead Ale a few weeks ago. It was NASTY. I mean gag-a-maggot nasty.

I like some of Shipyard's beers, but steer clear of the Pumpkinhead Ale. Ick!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,955,611 times
I had a 6 pack of Shipyard's Chamberlain Ale when I was in Stonington last year. I thought it was a little stiff. By that I mean it took a few of them to get accustomed to and I was up to the task. I didn't have much to go on so I bought it because I thought the good colonel kinda resembled Pete Townshend.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-20-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: please don't post copyrighted images

Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,714,664 times
Mark S. Your tastes are your own. Though I happen to agree with you on the pumpkin spice ale. Not my favorite either. I brewed for both Seadog brewing company in Camden and Gritty Mc Duff's in both Portland and Freeport. A friend of mine and I brewed the first batch of SeaDog Blueberry Ale in 1992. We made it to appease the ladies while the men drank our more "traditional ales and lagers". Boy were we surprised when we couldn't keep that blueberry ale in the house. Everyone loved it! We also made a pumpkin spice ale way back then. SeaDog is now owned by Shipyard but they have kept the recipes pretty much like they were when SeaDog was it's own brewhouse.. I personally think Seadog's recipe for brown ale is the best in Maine.
My suggestion to the original poster is to try Gritty Mc Duff's in Freeport, Portland or Auburn, Sebago Brewing in Portland, Gorham or South Portland (the owner worked with us at Seadog in Camden). Allagash Brewing makes AWARD winning Belgian style beers. If you Like Belgian beer you have to try these. They are the absolute best around. DL Geary Brewing in Portland is the first and arguably the best brewer in Maine. His Pale Ale is probably the best around. Hampshire Special Ale is a knock your socks off heavy ale with a real kick. He makes a Wee Heavy that closes in on the barleywine in alcohol content and is as smooth as silk. My favorite is Geary's London Porter. Not a stout and not a brown ale just in between enough to be unique with a chocolatey finish....Yum. And lets not forget Shipyard. Alan Pugsley Owner of Shipyard is the supreme guru of Maine brewing. He is single handedly responsible for Gritty's, Gearys, SeaDog, Shipyard and a number of other local breweries existing. Shipyard has any number of ales from their flagship Export Ale to Old Thumper to Chamberlain Ale, to Prelude Christmas ale to their many seasonal wheat beers, It's hard to find a bad one. They even still make the Seadog Blueberry Ale! This is the tip of the iceberg. Maine is a brewing paradise and there are LOTS of brewers I have not mentioned. You will have plenty to choose from in Maine.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,110,326 times
I like Shipyard's Export and Xmas ales, Old Thumper is good too, but I thought that was brewed in England...maybe I'm thinking of something else.

But, the question was northern and inland...I think there is a micro-brewery in Orono...Black Bear Brewing? I've never had anything from them.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I like Shipyard's Export and Xmas ales, Old Thumper is good too, but I thought that was brewed in England...maybe I'm thinking of something else.

But, the question was northern and inland...I think there is a micro-brewery in Orono...Black Bear Brewing? I've never had anything from them.
Yes Black Bear Brewing is in Orono but I have never tried their beer.
None of Shipyard's beers are brewed in the UK. They make them all in Portland. The process used for all of Shipyard's Ales, Gritty's, and Geary's is the same. It is a brewing system brought over from the UK by Alan Pugsley through Peter Austin and Partners. The key feature of this system is the open fermenters and the wonderful top fermenting yeast hailing from the Ringwood Brewery in England. The yeast is the key! It is 60% of the flavor profile. I can tell a Ringwood beer from any other beer at any time.
Though the breweries I suggested are not North of this area they distribute all over Maine. Like I said there are lots of breweries I did not mention and they come and go constantly! Brewpubs are even fewer and farther between.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 AM

7,061 posts, read 9,110,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes Black Bear Brewing is in Orono but I have never tried their beer.
None of Shipyard's beers are brewed in the UK. They make them all in Portland. The process used for all of Shipyard's Ales, Gritty's, and Geary's is the same. It is a brewing system brought over from the UK by Alan Pugsley through Peter Austin and Partners. The key feature of this system is the open fermenters and the wonderful top fermenting yeast hailing from the Ringwood Brewery in England. The yeast is the key! It is 60% of the flavor profile. I can tell a Ringwood beer from any other beer at any time.
Though the breweries I suggested are not North of this area they distribute all over Maine. Like I said there are lots of breweries I did not mention and they come and go constantly! Brewpubs are even fewer and farther between.
After a little research, it turns out that we're both right. Old Thumper was/is brewed in England but Shipyard does it too. When I first had it, it was the import from England. I've had Shipyard's version since and I can't say that there was any notable difference. I'd probably have to have them side-by-side to be sure though.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 AM

16,743 posts, read 15,757,959 times
Quote:
After a little research, it turns out that we're both right. Old Thumper was/is brewed in England but Shipyard does it too. When I first had it, it was the import from England. I've had Shipyard's version since and I can't say that there was any notable difference. I'd probably have to have them side-by-side to be sure though.
Sounds like some serious research is needed. I think you're up to the task.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I have never seen the Ringwood Brewery version Of Old Thumper for sale in the state though I don't doubt it exists. They were the original. In a side by side test with two fresh beers you would most likely be hard pressed to tell any difference between the two as the recipies, processes and yeasts are exactly the same. It doesn't travel well and has a tendency to take on off flavors in just a few months. You can really tell when it's been around too long. If you find it again let me know, I'd like to compare the two.

Last edited by Maineah; 09-21-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,506,282 times
Here is how I see the micro-brewery scene in Maine:

Allagash: Arguably the leading maker of Belgian-style beers in this country, right here in Portland. (Brewery Ommegang out of NY being another notable).

Up-side to breweries like Shipyard, Geary, Gritty's: They make beers (English style ales) that really aren't found anywhere else in the US. Also kind of cool that Maine has that sort of distinction. The beers that are made in town are one-of-a-kind in this country.

The downside (at least in my opinion): Maine's beer scene is weighed too heavily towards English style ales. Good if you like them, but the US craft-beer movement has really come into its own as far as American styles of beer (The West-Coast IPA for instance....a hop head's dream!). Those styles are somewhat under-represented here.

Sebago brewing makes more American style ales though, as well as the folks up in Bar Harbor Brewing and Atlantic Brewing Co., Oak Pond Brewing, etc, etc.....so I guess it all averages out. Right in Portland, however, it seems likes its all English-style stuff to be had.

However, there are some new up-starts (Maine brewing company, Baxter Brewing Co (canned microbrew!), Rising Tide) that should also throw some variety into the mix. (if they survive which I truely hope they do!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine