Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 AM

103 posts, read 194,390 times

Advertisements

We saw a really nice house in Auburn but know nothing about the area. We have been going up there for about 12 years, but never to that area.

I apologize in advance if this has been already discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM

10 posts, read 19,377 times
May I ask where in Auburn - only if you feel comfortable giving a street name or a general area (eg. Main Street or New Auburn area). I've lived in the area for the past three years.

In general, not a bad area. I'm not overly enthralled with it but neither will I warn people away from here. I personally prefer a more rural type of living and Auburn doesn't really have that feel for the most part - it's not a city but definitely not rural. Quite a few college kids live in the area on a seasonal basis so depending on where you land, you may have more rowdiness than in others. City services are dependable, easy commute to I-95 if you need to travel, taxes are a little on the high side but again - not rural.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
The outskirts of Auburn are like any other town in southern Maine. The inner part of the town is probably less desireable that other parts of Maine. In my opinion (and only my opinion) Auburn and Lewiston are places where I personally would not like to live. Both towns (cities by Maine standards)
have tried over the years to improve their image. The problem is there are many poorly educated, boderline impovershed, welfare recipient, people living in that area and they seem to drag down the overall feel of the area. Throw in a good sized Somalian population on the Lewiston side of the river and you have a strange blend indeed. It isn't a terrible place by the city standards of most states but in Maine L/A sticks out as a less than desireable place for many people's tastes. Sorry flycessna!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 AM

325 posts, read 706,167 times
I would have to agree with that assessment. Lewiston in particular is a run down old mill town that has clearly seen better days.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Auburn has some excellent neighborhoods- lewiston does also, but lewiston gets a bad wrap- it use to be an industrial powerhouse with all the mills

many nice towns around auburn-poland, new gloucestor, greene, turner, minot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine