Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times

Advertisements

Mainers are famous for putting together two or three or four jobs and "gettin' by." Given the current unemployment rates, what are you doing -- or what would you suggest other people do -- to earn some extra money, especially any that are Maine-centric?

Off the top of my head:

firewood sales
stern man on a lobster boat
lawn mowing/yard work
snow shoveling
house cleaning
market gardening
personal shopper -- grocery shopping, errand running for elderly or housebound
pet sitting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I second housekeeping. I'm having a very hard time finding someone to come in weekly.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Aerial photography
Back hoe work
Bush hogging
Snow blowing when folks with plows run out of places to put it. ;-)
Site planning

Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
"site planning" -- what does that involve? Does it mean laying out structures and such?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
don't know how it'd pay but how about taking cars to garages for inspections and minor repairs? The guy who works on mine actually picks it up and brings it back when it's done. I love it but I think I've gotten spoiled.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
I substitute teach to supplement my pension. One of the schools in my area keeps me pretty busy. Pay is not the best, but it's pretty "soft" work.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:57 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
This isn't just a Maine thing... I have a friend who lives on the Cape and he is always telling me ( for years now) how people there mix and match jobs to get by. I believe this is what many, many people do across the country. Particularly, with such a poor job market.

I admire anyone who works several jobs to get by. It has got to be very difficult at times.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
This isn't just a Maine thing... I have a friend who lives on the Cape and he is always telling me ( for years now) how people there mix and match jobs to get by. I believe this is what many, many people do across the country. Particularly, with such a poor job market.

I admire anyone who works several jobs to get by. It has got to be very difficult at times.
This is news to me. I have lived in many places -- west and south, mostly -- and have always worn more than one hat. And until I got to Maine, folks always looked at me with a bit of an odd expression when they asked what I did, if I told them the truth.. and a strong sense that they thought I wasn't good enough, or serious enough, to succeed at any one thing.

FWIW, I have a market garden, am a non-starving folk artist, a graphic designer and work a few hours a week in a little country story.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
""site planning" -- what does that involve? Does it mean laying out structures and such?"

It involves placing a building on a property to meet the client's needs four seasons of the year. Some people don't consider passive solar, winter access, plowing snow, going down hill to get out, natural drainage, natural water source, potential views, preventing undesirable views etc. There are many things that can be done to optimize a property, get the most talented contractors and plan for future needs such as a big barn, shooting range and farm pond for trout. I do this.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
cutting up deer/moose
cutting up firewood-delivering
mowing/plowing
painting
shoveling off roofs
bartending
working in retail-even if entry level jobs
handyman work
cleaning boilers
tutoring
child-care/ day-care for kids
junk buyer sellers/ flea-marketeers/e-bay resellers-from lawn-sales/garage sales
newspaper/magazine delivery
food demonstrators (samplers in food stores)
small engine repair(tune-ups minor repairs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine