Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 PM

326 posts, read 433,925 times

Advertisements

Are there public transports to and from say Caribou/PQ/Van Buren to Quebec City? Northern ME is my focus to purchase property to eventually move/retire in, but I want to be able to get some "city fix" whenever I feel the need. I love Quebec City, and can see myself spending a weekend or two there, God willing none else than at the Chateau Frontenac! (I can dream, can't I?) But not sure about driving the distance in the dead of winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Downtown Caribou to the Chateau Frontenac's entrance is about 4.5 hours in decent weather. In the winter those numbers can be right on as well, or way off depending on the conditions, which is impossible to guess. Made that drive several times myself (even spent the start of the Honeymoon with that drive). I don't recall there being a Public Transportation handy that makes the trip into Quebec City... but honestly, the 20 years I lived in the Caribou area, I never once really looked into public transportation either. Last time I stayed at the Chateau Frontenac it was cheaper than what the Caribou Inn and Convention center wanted for a room, and there is ZERO comparing those two places. One is a beautiful, luxury hotel overlooking the old town area of Quebec city; and the other is a filthy, run down, dump.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Acadian Bus Lines runs from Fredericton to Quebec City and beyond (on the Transcanada). My friend has taken it several times. You can access it at several towns right across the border.
(There may be another Canadian bus line also).

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Acadian Bus Lines runs from Fredericton to Quebec City and beyond (on the Transcanada). My friend has taken it several times. You can access it at several towns right across the border.
(There may be another Canadian bus line also).
I think Acadian Lines runs only to Rivière-du-Loup, which is about 2 hours east of Quebec City. From there you can take Orléans Express buses to Quebec City and Montreal.

If you are in Van Buren, you can probably even walk to the Acadian Lines bus stop in St-Léonard, New Brunswick just across the bridge. Not sure about Caribou though...

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Downtown Caribou to the Chateau Frontenac's entrance is about 4.5 hours in decent weather. In the winter those numbers can be right on as well, or way off depending on the conditions, which is impossible to guess. Made that drive several times myself (even spent the start of the Honeymoon with that drive). I don't recall there being a Public Transportation handy that makes the trip into Quebec City... but honestly, the 20 years I lived in the Caribou area, I never once really looked into public transportation either. Last time I stayed at the Chateau Frontenac it was cheaper than what the Caribou Inn and Convention center wanted for a room, and there is ZERO comparing those two places. One is a beautiful, luxury hotel overlooking the old town area of Quebec city; and the other is a filthy, run down, dump.
Book ahead, I tried to get a room at Chateau Frontenac last weekend, SOLD OUT! 'course there was this skating thingy going on in downtown Quebec.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Book ahead, I tried to get a room at Chateau Frontenac last weekend, SOLD OUT! 'course there was this skating thingy going on in downtown Quebec.

That's some good advice! I actually never stayed at the Frontenac, but I think it is one of the grandest hotels of the world. Definitely planning on staying when/if I'll get that that city boy inside bored...

Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think Acadian Lines runs only to Rivière-du-Loup, which is about 2 hours east of Quebec City. From there you can take Orléans Express buses to Quebec City and Montreal.

If you are in Van Buren, you can probably even walk to the Acadian Lines bus stop in St-Léonard, New Brunswick just across the bridge. Not sure about Caribou though...

You may be right; in any event it's an easy transfer.
The closest stop to Caribou would be Perth-Andover (about fifteen minutes away).

Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
The Chateau Frontenac should bve on everybody's bucket list. That said, the Beaver Club restaurant in the Canadian Pacific in Montreal should also be in the bucket. I pulled in to Montreal in February back in 92 and decided that the town was really dead. Then I found "Underground Montreal". There are malls and fine restaurants everywhere and they are all underground as part of the subway system. It's amazing and most people speak some English.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The Chateau Frontenac should bve on everybody's bucket list. That said, the Beaver Club restaurant in the Canadian Pacific in Montreal should also be in the bucket. I pulled in to Montreal in February back in 92 and decided that the town was really dead. Then I found "Underground Montreal". There are malls and fine restaurants everywhere and they are all underground as part of the subway system. It's amazing and most people speak some English.
I give you that. The underground in Montreal is something! But Montreal is not as beautiful as Quebec City, nor does it give you the impression that you are somewhere in Europe. I believe they expanded their underground since '92, you should go for another visit, very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine