Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
One has to wonder why it hasn't been done...

I can only speculate of course, but personally, I think the number one reason is that no one can say "No" which then snowballs into a quagmire of paperwork and hoops through which to jump.

There are a lot of people who would qualify, but aren't willing to jump through those hoops and/or feel ashamed that they need to. Yes, there are those who have become adept at gaming the system, but I don't think they are as prevalent as some would have us think.

The right hand often doesn't seem to know what the left hand's doing (as is the case with the recent so-called "overpayment" of providers recently).

I suppose defrauding plays a large part of it as well, but obvious lack of education doesn't help any either IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
This is the Standing Headline in the Maine papers

(Fill in name here) was sentenced today for embezzeling (fill in the amount here) from the (fill in the taxpayer funded municipality or state program here.) Sentenced to (fill in the slap on the wrist punishment here) and ordered to pay restitution of (fill in the figure that represents a cup of coffee per day at the corner store here.)

Its time to begin making drastic cuts in State and Municipal programs now! The DHHS and their cronies in the non profits need to be audited and held accountable.

The real lunatics are in the hall; the paper holds their folded faces to the floor; and everyday the paperboy brings more! My apologies to PF.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
The real question is whether she has the money. If she does, then maybe it pays. If she doesn't then spending 42 months in a 6 x 8 cell might not be so enticing. And then of course there is the $270,000 that the state will have to pay to incarcerate her for doing this act.

I love the life-in prison gambit. The dude is 20, gets life for some murder. And instead of just going away, you and I have to pay $5,000,000 over the course of his life to have him imprisoned. Who gets the raw deal with that one? I'm a believer in the off shore island policy with the satellite watch of the island. Drop them off, if they survive until their sentence is over, great! if not, well.. too bad. Would have been a great spot for Martha Stewart for 6 months.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
This is the Standing Headline in the Maine papers

(Fill in name here) was sentenced today for embezzeling (fill in the amount here) from the (fill in the taxpayer funded municipality or state program here.) Sentenced to (fill in the slap on the wrist punishment here) and ordered to pay restitution of (fill in the figure that represents a cup of coffee per day at the corner store here.)

Its time to begin making drastic cuts in State and Municipal programs now! The DHHS and their cronies in the non profits need to be audited and held accountable.

The real lunatics are in the hall; the paper holds their folded faces to the floor; and everyday the paperboy brings more! My apologies to PF.
I think we should just do an across the board cut of 50% in every department for all state workers, police, firemen, all teachers, etc. Then finally we will all get what we deserve with less taxes. Of course when ouyr house burns down, it will take too long to come, and when we have someone burglarizing our house it will take hours to come, and when teaching class sizes jump to 65 in even the elementary school, we'll be complaining that our kids get no personal attention. There are no easy answers unless we are all willing to go back to 1840.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: