Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM

158 posts, read 527,184 times

Advertisements

I travel for work and am living near Bar Harbor for now until the end of April. I'm really liking the place in the winter and wish I was there (great snowshoeing, easy-feeling, just enough life in the town to make it not feel isolated).

I may be extending my work contract for 3 more months. Question: I know rent is reasonable and available now, and that this will change, but come May, how bad does the COST and the AVAILABILITY get? I would need a three month lease, too. I'm paying 1200/month now, which I can afford, but I would prefer to pay less. (Some places are expensive. Some aren't. One can't complain). Thanks for the help.

I had read a previous post that loosely said rent gets more expensive and harder to find. But how much more so on both counts is what I would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
I know it does up this way in tourist season. I would imagine the same happens on MDI. Make hay while the sun shines.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:40 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smily Gladshanks View Post
I travel for work and am living near Bar Harbor for now until the end of April. I'm really liking the place in the winter and wish I was there (great snowshoeing, easy-feeling, just enough life in the town to make it not feel isolated).

I may be extending my work contract for 3 more months. Question: I know rent is reasonable and available now, and that this will change, but come May, how bad does the COST and the AVAILABILITY get? I would need a three month lease, too. I'm paying 1200/month now, which I can afford, but I would prefer to pay less. (Some places are expensive. Some aren't. One can't complain). Thanks for the help.

I had read a previous post that loosely said rent gets more expensive and harder to find. But how much more so on both counts is what I would like to know.

Ask co-workers and check the Bar Harbor Times. Could always move off island and get a rent .

Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
You might be able to get an extension on your present rental. The owners might go for a sure thing if they don't already have a contract with a summer person. Everybody is nervous about this year because we are in uncharted territory. No nation has ever before printed trillions of dollars out of nothing. Nobody can reliably predict what the effect will be except to generalize that we will have major inflation in food and fuel.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
I would try and get an extension. The problem on MDI is that everybody rents their places by the week so it really sucks for people who actually live there in the summer and especially for people who live there all year. The price will not go down.Snag what you can ASAP.
Tourism has been really booming the last 3 or 4 years so you might want to move to the other side of the island vs. Bar Harbor which is just too crowded and lacking in parking.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Good luck with the extension. Many people rent in the winter just to keep the place opened up without the expense of shutting it down and paying someone to watch it. In the summer they can get $1200.00 A WEEK for a place in that area. The same goes for lakes in Maine. The going rate ranges from $600 a week to $3000 or more depending on how nice a location the house is and what shape it's in.
My brother used to rent a place on a lake in the winter for $450.00 a month...same place in the summer was $1500 a week. NMLM may have a point about this year's uncertainty. Gas is going to be high and inflation is bound to be a factor soon. Tourists may not be booking places this summer so you may get lucky though I'd be really surprised if you could hold it through the summer at the current rent rate.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,898 times
alot of people that work in bar harbor in the summer time live in ellsworth because of lower rent costs and commute to and from bar harbor

Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
Did you find anything or stay put?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine