Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 12,212 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I plan to go to Stonington this weekend for taking some photos of this beautiful place. I'm coming from Boston. I have been searching how to get there but it doesn't seem to be easy at all. I think I'm going to Portland or Bangor by bus first as it's the cheapest way and available, then heading Deer Isle.

Please let me know how to get to Deer Isle ( by bus, train or boat, anything cheap as I don't have a car ).

Or some photographers in this forum please recommend me other beautiful places which are accessible by bus or train.

Thanks and best regards.

Jasly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
There is no public transportation service to Stonington AFAIK. The closest bus service is, I think, Bangor, although there might be a bus to Ellsworth in the summer. Either way, you'll have to rent a car or take a taxi to get to Stonington.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Yeah- we have no train, ferry, or bus access here (as with most of Hancock County). You will need a car in order to get here.

The (one) passenger train in Maine doesn't go north of Brunswick, so you may want to use that to narrow your search of places to visit.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to ask anything else about Deer Isle-Stonington.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times
Hmmmmmmmm you can't get there from heyah......

Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 PM

625 posts, read 791,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Hmmmmmmmm you can't get there from heyah......
Beat me to it!!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 PM

321 posts, read 486,795 times
It's really hard without a car, as others have said. If you have a license, you could take the Concord Trailways bus from South Station to Bangor, rent a car, and drive to the island if you don't want to drive from Boston. Otherwise, I think it's out.

Concord had a coastal route that leaves from Bangor once a day and goes to picturesque places like Belfast, Searsport, Lincolnville, Camden, and Rockland. You would need to come to Bangor the day before, stay the night, hop on the bus the next morning, spend a second night somewhere along the route, and then the bus would take you back to South Station. If you have a few days to spare and don't mind taking the bus, that's a possibility.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM

404 posts, read 777,791 times
That coastal route can also be picked up in Portland, and while I know you said you wanted to get to stonington or deer isle with out a car...it simply can't be done. SO again renting a car from Portland or Bangor is the only way that can happen.
Another choice; Portland is dooable with out a car. You can take a bus or cab to the old port, and take a ferry over to one of the islands: Casco Bay Island Ferry Service - Portland, Maine
or the trolley/cab over to Portland headlight. Its not deer island....but unless you rent a car its another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine