Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 AM

158 posts, read 526,992 times

Advertisements

I just got up an hour ago..went uptown to get my coffee. And something amazing did I ever see (besides an attractive girl who was actually younger than 50): SUNSHINE!!! I swear the sun came out this morning...and it's still out!

Pittsburgh, PA, gets maybe 1 day of sunshine per 3 or 4, in my estimation. That is, the winter is awful for weeks on end, and the summer is generally ok. How is it in Maine--how many days of sunshine? ...I might move there, and though it really wouldn't stop me (probably not), I really could use a place with a little more sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,345 times
Maine is a place that puts sunshine in your heart year round.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 AM

158 posts, read 526,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbymoulton View Post
Maine is a place that puts sunshine in your heart year round.
That was the fastest reply I've ever received. ...and you are saying, then, that ME gets no sunshine either?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Here is a link for my area:
Rumford, Maine (ME) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
you can view % sunshine hours for Pittsburgh and Portland ME on the City-Data pages for those cities ... plus on the charts on the following link:
United States Climate

Old 03-29-2008, 09:38 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smily Gladshanks View Post
That was the fastest reply I've ever received. ...and you are saying, then, that ME gets no sunshine either?

No I wasn't saying that. Maine gets it's share, but living in this state makes you feel so good and days that are lacking are well worth it.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:01 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
When I took my private pilot's license, the course curriculum taught us that Maine has as much sunshine and clear weather for flying as most of the rest of the US. The standard that was being used was weather suitable for flying under visual flight rules, as opposed to having to file an instrument only flight plan.

The problem in Maine was that although the actual number of VFR flight hours is equal to or nearly equal to the rest of the country, it is impossible to count on them being lined up in a nominally useful order. We might well get a beautiful morning, and by noon have a raging snowstorm and clear by midnight.

In Maine especially, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute.

It is also true that if you can't stand the winters, you don't deserve the summers.....

Old 03-29-2008, 10:04 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Maine gets a lot more sunshine than WI. I know this for an absolute fact. We're lucky to get 1 or 2 days of sunshine per week out here in the Winter. I never experienced SAD in Maine but I have it out here.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:24 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Heh ... bush-league when it comes to winter gloom compared to the NW ... lucky you! Want a shudder? ... look at the sunshine charts at the links I sent in this thread earlier.

Known fact: SAD related suicide capital of the country here. Days without sun? ... no, multiple weeks without even a couple hours. Day temps hover in upper 30's while you swim through mist and showers from house to car to stores and back. The wet finds its way inside your clothes regardless of Gortex. Constant chill. When the sun does show itself, rarely, people here whip out sunglasses ... glare hurts. Literally, more than 6 weeks can go by at a time commonly.

Yet, our annual sunshine hours are equal to Maine's ... summer we get No rain with mid-70's temps ... like Maine summers, summers here entice immigration.

Nothing wrong with 20* and snow on the ground when the sun shines a while at least every few days. I've lived both. Happy to endure either to be where I love with the ones I love ... if I can afford it! Nothing affordable left here ... and no open space anywhere near water, either. Damn.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 PM

259 posts, read 703,683 times
I've been comparing the weather, and it was sunnier in Jan and Feb in Maine than over here in Utah...Being on the coast I would imagine Maine's weather changest much more frequently than in PA... giving you a good variety of sun and clouds I would think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine