Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 10,647 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is a question for you all.

I grew up in Maine and love the state. Yes the management of our state government leaves a lot to be desired and jobs are scarce but the beauty of the state combined with quaint peacefulness balances everything out. I grew up in the Bangor area (North of) in Dover-Foxcroft. I went to the University of Maine and am now in the active duty Army. I have been around the country (and out of it!) a lot in the past years after completing college and think Maine is where I want to rest my hat.

What areas of Maine would you suggest?
If I were to go for a 20 year retirement in the Army, I would love to set myself in the woods, on a quite lake but with reasonable access to shopping and 95 for travel. However, I may not do 20 years. Right now I am 5 in and thinking about coming back home and finding a reasonable job for a slower paced life.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Priorities, likes, and dislikes change in 15 years. I know mine did (quite often) while I was in. Jobs are scarce so I would suggest staying in. Nothing says you can't buy property now and have it paid off by the time you retired. Maybe we'll have a better economy by then too.

Hey, by the way, thanks for serving.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
Ditto what Retiredtinbender said. Stay in, Uncle Sugar is your friend. I wish I stayed in the paratroopers 20. It may seem like 15 years is forever at your age, at my age it is a very short time. Thank you for your service to our nation!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Ditto what Retiredtinbender said. Stay in, Uncle Sugar is your friend. I wish I stayed in the paratroopers 20. It may seem like 15 years is forever at your age, at my age it is a very short time. Thank you for your service to our nation!

Roger that sh--! Time slips quicker the older you get.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I did 20-years of Active Duty, retired and decided to settle in Maine. I meet many fellow retirees who have also settled to Maine.

I focused a lot energy on searching for a good state to retire in. For our criteria Maine is tops.

If you desire to settle in Maine, I suggest that you spend some of your annual leave now to look, find and purchase a place.

20 years is a long time. In our career field you can never predict when someone may become disabled. In a relatively short period suddenly your income may drop a great deal. So it can be difficult to do much long term planning.

I wish you luck.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,647 times
I appreciate all the feedback. As of right now I am looking to continue my military career but possibly with the given economy take a look at buying a house and renting it out. It is a buyers market after all.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear64 View Post
Ok so here is a question for you all.

I grew up in Maine and love the state. Yes the management of our state government leaves a lot to be desired and jobs are scarce but the beauty of the state combined with quaint peacefulness balances everything out. I grew up in the Bangor area (North of) in Dover-Foxcroft. I went to the University of Maine and am now in the active duty Army. I have been around the country (and out of it!) a lot in the past years after completing college and think Maine is where I want to rest my hat.

What areas of Maine would you suggest?
If I were to go for a 20 year retirement in the Army, I would love to set myself in the woods, on a quite lake but with reasonable access to shopping and 95 for travel. However, I may not do 20 years. Right now I am 5 in and thinking about coming back home and finding a reasonable job for a slower paced life.

What do you think?
If I could go back in time, I think I may have chosen to stay in. I don't know how old you are but if you are young, if you started the military at 18, you will be "retired" by the time you are 38. That sounds like a really long ways away right now but trust me, if you do this, you will thank yourself immensely.

Not only will you be "retired", you will have access to commissary and PX on bases, (prices will be lower for you), you will have access to all sorts of VA benefits and your life will be so. much. easier. as you get older.

I KNOW it's hard to think about that stuff when you're young but if you stay in and retire from the military, you will remember this conversation and you will know that it was the right choice. Besides, at 38, you really are NOT old, you have your whole life ahead of you and you can still do something else that interests you.

Take those college courses while you're in...continue your education or try something completely different. Go see the world. Get your experiences, and get your 20 years. When you get out, you will be HIGHLY sought out for employment in what you want to do, if you wish to do it, as well as, have the means to live where and how you want, if you are smart with your money right now.

Stay in. Retire. You will be so thankful to yourself that you did.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If I could go back in time, I think I may have chosen to stay in. I don't know how old you are but if you are young, if you started the military at 18, you will be "retired" by the time you are 38. That sounds like a really long ways away right now but trust me, if you do this, you will thank yourself immensely.
When I read the OP saying about attending university, I pictured joining at 22 years old, thus retiring at 42. [Which is effectively what I did]

Quote:
... Not only will you be "retired", you will have access to commissary and PX on bases, (prices will be lower for you), you will have access to all sorts of VA benefits and your life will be so. much. easier. as you get older.

I KNOW it's hard to think about that stuff when you're young but if you stay in and retire from the military, you will remember this conversation and you will know that it was the right choice. Besides, at 38, you really are NOT old, you have your whole life ahead of you and you can still do something else that interests you.

Take those college courses while you're in ... continue your education or try something completely different. Go see the world. Get your experiences, and get your 20 years. When you get out, you will be HIGHLY sought out for employment in what you want to do, if you wish to do it, as well as, have the means to live where and how you want, if you are smart with your money right now.

Stay in. Retire. You will be so thankful to yourself that you did.
Well said.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:19 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear64 View Post
I appreciate all the feedback. As of right now I am looking to continue my military career but possibly with the given economy take a look at buying a house and renting it out. It is a buyers market after all.

That's excellent that you are staying in as of right now. Continue to forge on because IMO, the job situation in Maine is not really going to get all that much better anytime soon.

VA benefits are dependent on how long you served and when you served. There are varying percentages for coverage. Still, it could really help you further down the road (as it did for my self-employed father who had zero health care coverage when he became sick near retirement age even though he never really retired).

As far as renting it out, I'd advise to carefully scrutinize who you rent to (background check, references and I'm talking past landlords as the current one may just want to get the tenant OUT and will say anything to do so- the whole enchilada).

If at all possible, consider a person up here to manage it because it's good to have someone 'boots on the ground' to watch it while you're away.

Good luck and stay in! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
... VA benefits are dependent on how long you served and when you served. There are varying percentages for coverage.
Only within the limited context of 'disability rating'.

If he stays 'in' and retires then it is possible that he may never have any dealings with the VA anywhere in his entire life.

Quote:
... Still, it could really help you further down the road (as it did for my self-employed father who had zero health care coverage when he became sick near retirement age even though he never really retired).
For a 'vet' [and not a retiree] who carries a 'disability rating' the VA is a wonderful benefit.

However for retirees the health care coverage that is provided by the military is significantly a better benefit.

Quote:
... Good luck and stay in! I hope you find what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: