Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 AM

264 posts, read 759,003 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I know you'll be able to help me out!

My parents are up here visiting (I am in the Lincoln area) and they originally wanted to cross over into Canada. They didn't plan on really doing anything, just cross TO cross and just take a pretty scenic drive in the process etc for 1 day here. I don't know of anything to really go do right over the border, so my dad said, maybe lets just drive up more north in Maine (because I was mentioning since living here almost 2 years, I still have not explored north very far) They have been to Baxter many times, they are in Bar Harbor today and have been tons of times. They just want a day of scenic pretty places with maybe jumping out of the car here and there if anything neat is around.

So the help...

If we drove up north on 95 from Lincoln to Houlton. Starting around there, could you guys give me suggestions on pretty areas, or neat places to stop or drive through. Anything scenic (waterfalls or any neat things to see or whatever else you could think of ) Anywhere up towards Presque Isle or Caribou areas or in-between (probably not as far north as Van Buren).

Also IF anyone knows a good border crossing area with anything neat close on the Canada side, that would be helpful too!

And last... IF you think any other suggestions would be better for just a long days drive of exploring starting from Lincoln area... (maybe moosehead lake area?) IF that would be better and have more to see etc.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM

One idea I do have.... From Lincoln, head down rt 6 then up to Danforth and continue taking the rt 1 north taking the Million dollar view bypass up to Houlton. From there I am stuck so far

Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Do they have their passports? Since 911 you can't get out of the country even to Canada without a passport.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 AM

They do have passports

Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 AM

277 posts, read 891,615 times
If your in the Linneus area and find yourself hungry, there is a little place called Grammies on Bangor Road which I believe is 2A. We found it while riding our ATV's...the food was unreal! Very large portions, so I'd suggest possibly sharing!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
If your in the Linneus area and find yourself hungry, there is a little place called Grammies on Bangor Road which I believe is 2A. We found it while riding our ATV's...the food was unreal! Very large portions, so I'd suggest possibly sharing!
Thank you!!! Just also read reviews on it and it is now in our plans! It is only 12 minutes outside of Houlton and we are going to now drive up the bypass to Houlton and then it will be perfect timing for lunch by the time we get to that area!

Now to just plan a bit after lunch!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM

325 posts, read 706,081 times
Go up and take the exit off 95 that goes towards Fort Kent(Route 11)....the area from 30 miles south of that city is gorgeous.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
Thank you!!! Just also read reviews on it and it is now in our plans! It is only 12 minutes outside of Houlton and we are going to now drive up the bypass to Houlton and then it will be perfect timing for lunch by the time we get to that area!

Now to just plan a bit after lunch!
What are your interests? Are you looking for scenic drives, historically interesting, wildlife...

As far as Canada goes, about the most interesting thing just across the border is Grand Falls, which you would access by crossing at the Hamlin Port of Entry. The best scenic highway is Rt 11 from Sherman Mills through to Fort Kent (but that is as far north as it gets in Maine). The loop from Bangor/Houlton/Calais/Bangor is a pretty drive, but a long one.

Once you start talking about northern Maine, ones' perspective concerning time and distance has to change.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
If you eat at Grammy's cross over at Orient Maine (one meal there will feed all three of you and if you have a spouse, them too)!, head through Canterbury NB, then The Trans Canada, head to Hartland. I kinda like Hartland New Brunswick. Quaint little town with the longest covered bridge in the world. Also a potato museum, and a potato chip factory with tours (pretty good chips too)! Then head north on the Trans Canada Highway to Grand Falls, beautiful falls, nice gorge ( if they wish or you do there is a zip line across the falls. If your doing costal, Deer Isle is nice, or you could ride up to Alma and do the provincial park. My favorite spot is in Juniper, NB, I fish for salmon on the Miramichi headwaters there. Not much there to interest anyone who doesn't fish. Hope this helps, you will like it there,PS fill up with gas in Maine,

Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
What about Campobello?

A nice museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine