Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM

323 posts, read 992,787 times

Advertisements

I have been to Auburn, Maine and really love it! I am just afraid of the winter's because I have basically lived in AZ my whole life and I am not use to that kind of cold. All my family is in Az and I would love to find something on the West coast that was similar but nothing compares to Maine. Does it rain a lot in Maine and are there a lot of sunny days? I noticed on a house the taxes were $6000.00! How do you afford that?! I have kids in Elementary school and hear the schools are great. Anyone with Auburn info please share-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 03:46 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
I have been to Auburn, Maine and really love it! I am just afraid of the winter's because I have basically lived in AZ my whole life and I am not use to that kind of cold. All my family is in Az and I would love to find something on the West coast that was similar but nothing compares to Maine. Does it rain a lot in Maine and are there a lot of sunny days? I noticed on a house the taxes were $6000.00! How do you afford that?! I have kids in Elementary school and hear the schools are great. Anyone with Auburn info please share-
AZ to Maine is a big change- but others from AZ have relocated to Maine and other New England states.

It can get cold in Maine- very cold at times; although in recent years winters are becoming milder due to global warming/climate change. In any case it still will become cold from December through March, with snow and temps dropping to below zero at Auburn. And this will be a major adjustment for you.

The sun does come out in Maine- with about 100 sunny days a year, 125 partly cloudy days and the rest will be overcast.

A home with $6000 property taxes will be rather large- smaller homes and condos will be much less.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Hi, I live in Auburn Maine. I also have the pleasure of going to AZ (phoenix area) often to visit a friend. So what is it your looking for? The schools here are fine. The crime rate is low, and housing is affordable. Why are you looking at Auburn. I have a lot of real estate experience but I am not an agent.

go here. it is basically a link to the mls/mlx system and is really easy to use to search for homes.

Maine IDX Listings -Maine Real Estate Listings (broken link)

Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM

My bestfriend lives there and I have been to visit and just seeing the different landscape, beaches, and the small town atmosphere has really won me over. We love the outdoors and own a Outdoor business that could go wherever we move. I think it would be my dream place but the winter just seems so harsh. I guess what I am looking for is a place to raise my kids that isn't filled with crime, pollution, short on water, flipping hot and being taken over by illegal immigrants. We live in a really nice area in PHX but we have lived in AZ our whole lives and would love a change, just want to pick the best place and it's hard!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
My best friend lives in Ahwatukee. I personally love AZ. Love that dry warm air and knowing it will always be sunny. I can totally understand why you might want a change of scenery and how it can get old. Even I have noticed that it has changed a lot the past 5-10 yrs.

I do not want to talk bad about Maine. I know a lot of people that were born and raised here that would never want to leave. I just think you might find the winters really harsh. Especially coming from az. Its just not the long cold winter but its the rainy gloomy spring we seem to get that just adds to it. To me there isn't just enough warm sunny days. otherwise geographically Maine is cirtaintly beautiful.

I have been researching a lot of differant areas. If money was no object I'd probably be somehwhere in Ca but I too am concernced about the cost of living. Not to mention, because of family, I really am tied to the east coast. I think you might consider the carolina's. And though I have not looked into it, I heard Tenn has some beautiful places and not as much humidity.

I found NC to have several growing motropolitan areas charlotte, & raleigh/Durham. Both have affordable housing, low tax structure and a green Mt environment. If you want to get out of the city Hickory Nc (50 miles outside of Charlotte) looks very interesting. Similiar to Lewiston/Auburn (old Mill type towns that are trying to change their economy). IMO Hickory has the advantage and has been growing very well the last several years. In any case the best way is to get out and spend time some where. good Luck

Old 06-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Thanks so much that was great info- The Carolina's is one of the places I have been looking into because no one really has anything to bad to say about it. The long Maine winter is a factor and I just don't think I could hack it. I lived in Flagstaff for awhile and thought that was cold I live in the Cave Creek area and while it is really nice the crime is a factor..lot's of burgleries, we have been busted into twice and it is happening up and down our streets. The traffic is getting bad in the North Valley and forget it if you want to drive to the East Valley from 2pm to whenever..it's crowded. Yes, we have great winter's but we really don't have seasons, it's hot and not so hot with little rain. So, anyway...thanks for the info!!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,766 times
The Phoenix area certainly has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years. It's looking like Los Angeles more and more each day. I can't wait to get out of here. (I'm also in the North Valley, not far from Cave Creek.)

I'm moving to New Hampshire, but I can understand why you're considering Maine. The scenery is absolutely fantastic and so were the people I met there. It seems like it would be a great place to raise a family.

As for the winter, it would be big change for you having lived most of your life in AZ. But your body will adapt somewhat to the colder climate, just like it does for those who move to AZ from colder climates. Whether you like the cold or not is a different question. Only you can answer that. I would recommend taking a trip there in the middle of winter just to see what it's like. Maybe a couple of trips, even. I was in NH in February and, yes, it was cold, but it was also sunny so it was actually quite enjoyable to me.

New England is not like the Pacific Northwest where it rains constantly. In Portland, Maine for example there is an average of about 200 sunny or partly cloudy days each year. Compare that to Portland, Oregon which has less than 150. Phoenix has close to 300.

I like the New England climate and the change of seasons. It's one of the reasons why I'm moving back there.

So good luck with your decision.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 PM

I like the snow and did visit Maine in March and loved it. I know it was a vacation but I really did like the scenery in the winter and I am going back this summer and take my family see what they think. The people were great, it seemed more laid back and the towns are still small....plus the beer is great! I like sunshine but this AZ sunshine is tooo much and I like it when it's overcast it feels like a break. Is New Hampshire a lot like Maine? Thanks for your post and Good Luck to you!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:33 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
Is New Hampshire a lot like Maine?
Yes and no. There are many similarities but some significant differences too. The scenery is similar and it seems that in general the lifestyles are similar. The people seemed friendly in both states. The biggest differences I saw seemed to be a reflection of the differences in the political climate between the two states. If Maine had NH's lower taxes and small government culture, I'd seriously consider moving there.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,129 times
Wink moved from maine to arizona

Hi guys - I lived in Maine 17 years - moved there from Arizona in the late 80s, but now have
moved back to Tucson and love it there. Due to work, I am in Maine for a month right now and it has rained most days, which is one of the big reasons we moved back to Arizona. My theory is it rains in Maine more than Seattle, although I haven't checked that. The snow was actually nice - much prettier than all the rain and mud in the fall, summer and spring - but my big deal wasn't the cold of the snow, but it the coldness of the people. Our friends aside, the general population here in Maine just isn't as happy or as friendly or laid back as in Arizona. My two cents, as I know it's all relative and has to do with your state of mind and how friendly you are, but I was always friendly and somewhat happy, but didn't get friendly or happy back - from the school office to the mr. bagel to the town offices, just wasn't a happy place. Also, no humor. You make a joke and they stare at you here. Schools are good, though, and the beach is nice, but again, way too cold for my taste. Grew up in DC area, which is equally boring and cold, so Arizona to me is heaven. Even when 105 I prefer it to the east coast humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine