Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times

Advertisements

all we got was Rain!

We returned last Sunday from our one week trip to Maine and just wanted to post and say what a lovely place we found Maine to be. Although it rained almost every day (which for the first couple days was a welcome relief, coming from dry, arid, parched Southern California,) we still managed to enjoy lots of fun activities, and enjoy some very beautiful scenery. Highlights included:

Cumberland County Fair: We were so lucky to make it to the last day of this delightful fair. My daughters especially enjoyed the 4H Pig Races. Now, all they talk about is wanting their own pet pig!

Mackworth Island: What a gem this is! We walked the mile and a half around the island and were totally amazed by how clean and unspoiled this place is despite being in such close proximity to the city. No broken beer bottles, no cigarette butts, no trash, no graffitti and no scarey looking people - in fact, hardly any people! Ahhhh, I could breathe! And my girls had the best time tending and building the fairy huts constructed totally of natural elements.

Ogunquit's Marginal Way Walk: If we weren't already smitten with Maine, our last day did it. It was clear and crisp with giant billowing clouds floating above the Atlantic as we walked briskly along the coast and totally fell in love with this place. Once again, we marveled at how clean and spacious and beautiful Maine is. After lunching and shopping in town, we took the trolley back to the start of our walk and by this time it was raining again...but noone really cared. The trolley driver was so friendly and told a charming little saying about Maine, and even jumped out of the trolley at the end of the ride to add a humorous little ending, which we all enjoyed. This is something we never see where we live.

Kennebunkport's Seashore Trolley Museum: Despite the constant rain this day, we all enjoyed riding the trolley, touring the little museum and the kids got to paint pumpkins and get their faces painted. Good fun and then we raided the great gift shop as dh is a train enthusiast and my 6 year old found fun pencils to bring back for everyone in her first grade class!

Freeport: was a fun stop for more shopping and a good lunch - a bit touristy but quite picturesque.

Brunswick: We just drove through this interesting looking town on our way to have dinner with an old classmate of my husband. But if we get back to Maine, it certainly looked like a place worth revisiting more closely.

We also looked at some homes for sale in Yarmouth, Cumberland, Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth (thank you, Rick!) and visited some of the schools. We found the people to be very friendly and the public schools seemed like private schools!

To summarize, we LOVE Maine and had a wonderful trip. It certainly seems like a place to which we would like to move if given the opportunity. Of course, we still would want to come back and check it out in the winter - we know we can deal with the rain; but better do a reality check with the snow, too!

Thanks to all those who posted their wonderful suggestions and helpful tips for our trip on this board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 01:12 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,386,209 times
I'm so glad you had a nice visit.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
thanx for the maine review, even on rainy days, it sounds like you enjoyed yourself,,,,i went on the trolley in kennebunkport when i was a kid, and also enjoyed it.

come on up in the wnter for a vaca, rent some snowmobiles, stay at a place with a woodstove or fireplace

Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,204 times
OMG maja, it sounds like such a wonderful time! We're all happy you enjoyed it so. It sounds like you took in a little bit of southern Maine, that's terrric! There's so much more to see! I can't wait for you to see / enjoy/ appreciate the rest!

In spite of the weather, you made the most of a perfect trip.

Nest visit, talk to Molly about geocaching- see the rest that most people don't get to see.
Talk to MW about BSP!
Talk to NMLM and Bydand about renting sleds and seeing "the county" and the "back woods"
Talk to 7th about the western hills/ mountains!

Youre going to be busy! Set aside another week or two and really get the "Maine experience"

(Rick is THE man)

Welcome to your new next home!

Last edited by island mermaid; 10-10-2008 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: oops! forgot a bunch of stuff!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,103,899 times
oh, I'm sorry it rained, but I'm glad you had a wonderful time anyway!! And mermaid is right... let us know when you're here again and we'll fix you up with more to do!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,521,531 times
Wow ... did you guys sleep at all? Sounds like you were able to pack tons of fun into your stay. Glad you had so much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine