Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,355 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a house to rent while we do a tour in Eastport.

I have tried the local realtor's. One has nothing and the other wont respond to emails or pick up the phone!

We have 2 boys and I'm currently pregnant. So by the time we move there we will be a family of 5. No pets, non smokers, and we don't party.

We are looking for 3+ bedrooms, or 2 large bedrooms.

Last time I was in Eastport I remember other coastie families renting a house on corner of Water street and Woodman place. Another house was on the corner of Water Street and Clark Street. Last a house that was on the corner of Clark and Cemetery road.

If anyone knows if these houses are still for rent, or if you know a house for rent, please contact me.

We would like to live near the station.

Thank you for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Ah, if you'd askwd a few months ago.... Cobscook Property Management - Eastport Vacation Rentals & Property Management & Real Estate probably your best bet. There are three rentals in the QUoddy Tides back page. I'll DM you the phone numbers. Odd that one realtor won't respond.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Not many Realtors work with rentals. Maine has the highest rate of home ownership in the nation. The flip side of that fact is that we have the lowest rate of rentals. Most rentals occur through word of mouth followed by local newspaper ads. Many homeowners are reluctant to rent because if the renter quits paying the owner can't evict the family during the winter. They can stay until March. Most renters don't own any property so the owner can't put a lien on property they own. The owner is stuck. Small claims court is no help. The renter will just claim poverty in court.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Not many Realtors work with rentals. Maine has the highest rate of home ownership in the nation. The flip side of that fact is that we have the lowest rate of rentals. Most rentals occur through word of mouth followed by local newspaper ads. Many homeowners are reluctant to rent because if the renter quits paying the owner can't evict the family during the winter. They can stay until March. Most renters don't own any property so the owner can't put a lien on property they own. The owner is stuck. Small claims court is no help. The renter will just claim poverty in court.

I agree with this but what most home owners dont know about the military, is if the service member stops paying rent, they have options. They can go to the service members unit commander and the Command will do something about it. I wish more home owners would be willing to take a chance. its better thn letting the house sit empty.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Ah, if you'd askwd a few months ago.... Cobscook Property Management - Eastport Vacation Rentals & Property Management & Real Estate probably your best bet. There are three rentals in the QUoddy Tides back page. I'll DM you the phone numbers. Odd that one realtor won't respond.
Thank you.

Why if I had asked a few months ago?

I keep checking CPM...but for now she doesnt have anything.

Once upon a time ago we lived in Eastport... We rented from Harry Boone, and this time we are leaving it as our last option.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieFSwife View Post
Thank you.

Why if I had asked a few months ago?

I keep checking CPM...but for now she doesnt have anything.

Once upon a time ago we lived in Eastport... We rented from Harry Boone, and this time we are leaving it as our last option.
I have a rental house down the lane here. It was vacant up until Dec.

Pat's good. If she gets something she'll let you know.

Did you get the DM? I only ask because I don't trust computers

Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I'm a Vet myself. In fact, I went on a Deepfreeze cruise on the USS Eastwind a long time ago. Most homeowners don't understand about military families. It's going to be up to you to educate them. The same applies to ICE, Customs and Border Patrol folks.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Might want to contact everyone with a home for sale and see if they'd be interested in renting. You would want a lease that stipulated they'd have to take it off the market, but this isn't a bad market to sit through with a dependable renter keeping your house safe.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
A lot of the vacant homes in Eastport have been empty for years and many need a lot of work to be liveable. Dramamama and I were just there last August and walked every street in town to see what was for sale, we also did this in 2009 and I took pics, it seemed it was the same houses for sale so I will link you to the pics.

Homes For Sale In Eastport

Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
NMLM... just had to clarify this part- in the State of Maine, it is perfectly legal to evict a tenant (for any lease violations, including non-payment) including any minor children at ANY time during the year. There is no provision that prohibits evictions during certain months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine