Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,101,214 times

Advertisements

We never had much trouble with Japanese beetles until last year, when they suddenly descended upon us and demolished our rosa rugosa. They're back again this year and are, if anything, worse than last. We don't have a single blossom on the roses, despite using beetle traps and (forgive me, J.I. Rodale) a sprinkle of Sevin powder. The little buggers are everywhere! Anyone have an surefire Japanese beetle cures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,764 times
Yeah, they are destroying my roses too, but I won't use insecticide as it kills the bees, and probably everything that eats the dead bugs. Plus I've got a well and don't want the crap in my drinking water.

I just shake them into a pail of sudsy water. My roses I cut the buds off and enjoy them inside. Doesn't matter what you do really, they only PREFER roses. They'll eat anything else you own in a pinch.

About the baits/traps, I heard these will bring them in from five miles away. I wouldn't use them if I were you.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
Lord, I hope they're not headed this way. We haven't had them here. Yet!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,101,214 times
Hey, I'm willing to share!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
No thanks. I wouldn't want to impose.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:13 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Not as bad this year as previous years. Slugs and snails have been numerous though.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,160,205 times
Oh yeah, we have 'em big time here in coastal York County. I've picked them off the roses, the cherry trees (they ate all the cherries), apple trees, and pulled a couple out of my hair. It's a constant battle with slugs, snails, and when they're done, here come the mosquitos!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM

277 posts, read 892,463 times
Interesting. No problems here in Belfast at all! My wifes roses are actually doing better than ever this year.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM

276 posts, read 849,382 times
The sweet little fellas came to visit here as well. They have sent out invitatons to all their relatives and they too have decided that my yard makes a great bed and breakfast despite the beautiful water view they could have across the street

This year is also the first year that we have really had slugs too. I put out beer plates for them and they must not have liked ICE beer since we only were able to get about 4 of them. These are not the big brownish ones but small ones that crunch when you squish them. Gross! is about all I can say about them.

For the beeltes, 2 years ago we put out the bait bags and got loads of them, they may have come from miles around but they went right to the bait and died leaving my plants alone.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Yeah, they are destroying my roses too, but I won't use insecticide as it kills the bees, and probably everything that eats the dead bugs. Plus I've got a well and don't want the crap in my drinking water.

I just shake them into a pail of sudsy water. My roses I cut the buds off and enjoy them inside. Doesn't matter what you do really, they only PREFER roses. They'll eat anything else you own in a pinch.

About the baits/traps, I heard these will bring them in from five miles away. I wouldn't use them if I were you.

I think the bags work great. I haven't noticed anymore of them then there were the first year we used them, and now I don't have to spray toxic junk on my plants.

They are extremely fond of gardens - mostly green beans and peas, but they will also chow down most everything else we have planted to some extent.

I can usually get one good batch of roses out of my rosebush before I have to install a bag near it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine