Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

There is a "story" getting attention on the talk shows and on line today regarding a business in my town of Gorham Maine. I am concerned.

The owner of a farm stand store has reportedly refused service and ordered a family out of his store because they were Asian.....using hate speech ....even in front of their 10 year old son. Another person was reportedly called the "N" word and throw out of the store. (This all happening in this season of Peace from a store that is specializing in Christmas wreaths, balls and trees.....irony there.

The owner of the store is a long time resident and business man here....and has been known as a bit of an unpleasant curmudgeion... ..it sounds as if he may have gone off the deep end.

I waiting for news confirmation of the incidents so not mentioning the name of the business. However my concern is that this man may represent a public danger. I am hoping to hear soon the results of the initial news investigation.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
It could be a long wait. There is a severe shortage of investigative reporters in Maine. Most Maine "reporters" will wait for a press release from an advocacy group expressing "concern" and print that press release.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
There is a "story" getting attention on the talk shows and on line today regarding a business in my town of Gorham Maine. I am concerned.

The owner of a farm stand store has reportedly refused service and ordered a family out of his store because they were Asian.....using hate speech ....even in front of their 10 year old son. Another person was reportedly called the "N" word and throw out of the store. (This all happening in this season of Peace from a store that is specializing in Christmas wreaths, balls and trees.....irony there.

The owner of the store is a long time resident and business man here....and has been known as a bit of an unpleasant curmudgeion... ..it sounds as if he may have gone off the deep end.

I waiting for news confirmation of the incidents so not mentioning the name of the business. However my concern is that this man may represent a public danger. I am hoping to hear soon the results of the initial news investigation.
I don't think calling someone a racial slur equates to being a danger to the public, he's just an ***.

How old is he? Is he suffering from something that maybe he doesn't know yet?

Or, maybe he's just an *** as I stated and the best way to take care of that is not go to his business. If it is found that these allegations are true, spread the word. It's a privately owned business, he has the right to refuse customers. However, when it fails, he can sit at home and gripe about all the people he doesn't like while everyone gives their money to someone more pleasant and not so stupid and racist.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM

I read your comment and am not sure that I totally agree with you.

I certainly will stay away from his store--that part is easy. but I know several families in the area who have adopted children from China..........it horrifies me to think that a family outing to pick out a christmas tree could end with the child being exposed to a verbal assault including being called the slang beginning with CH---from a large foul mouthed unclean and uncouth man.....thowing her parents and her out of the store. Similarly verbal assaults on Afro-Americans who come into his store have been reported.

Indeed I thnk this may well be a mental health issue.....the man is not well and may be in physical pain.....but that doesnt ameliorate the offense. And I do worry in a state where much of the public is armed, to think that someone with access to weapons, maybe starting that slide into irrational hatred, and irratic behavior.

I am also not sure that the public accomodations act allows the owner of a business to discriminate based on race or national origin. I think that is what the Freedom Rides and lunch counter sit ins were all about.....and settled.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I read your comment and am not sure that I totally agree with you.

I certainly will stay away from his store--that part is easy. but I know several families in the area who have adopted children from China..........it horrifies me to think that a family outing to pick out a christmas tree could end with the child being exposed to a verbal assault including being called the slang beginning with CH---from a large foul mouthed unclean and uncouth man.....thowing her parents and her out of the store. Similarly verbal assaults on Afro-Americans who come into his store have been reported.

Indeed I thnk this may well be a mental health issue.....the man is not well and may be in physical pain.....but that doesnt ameliorate the offense. And I do worry in a state where much of the public is armed, to think that someone with access to weapons, maybe starting that slide into irrational hatred.

I am also not sure that the public accomodations act allows the owner of a business to discriminate based on race or national origin. I think that is what the Freedom Rides and lunch counter sit ins were all about.....and settled.
But that's my point, make it well known that this is a store not to visit and the 10 year old won't have to witness that crap.

And we will agree to disagree that just because someone is racist, it doesn't mean they are going to start shooting people.

As far as I knew, a private business can shoot itself in the foot all it wants and it is not illegal to be a racist. Once we start controlling peoples thoughts, no matter how much we dislike them, we are in dangerous waters.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
But that's my point, make it well known that this is a store not to visit and the 10 year old won't have to witness that crap.

And we will agree to disagree that just because someone is racist, it doesn't mean they are going to start shooting people.

As far as I knew, a private business can shoot itself in the foot all it wants and it is not illegal to be a racist. Once we start controlling peoples thoughts, no matter how much we dislike them, we are in dangerous waters.
Its not about controlling thoughts...its about controlling behavior....segregation in the south failed, not because anyone changed a single segregationalist's thinking....the behavior was made illegal and eventually "thoughts" caught up with the law.

I am not a lawyer.....but .... It is very possible to legislate actions and behavior.....the racist beliefs arent illegal....but unless that store is in reality a "private club".....with dues and membership lists.....and refuses services to all non-members equally ....it is against the law. Thats what the last 50 years of civil rights law have been all about.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Elston, I didn't find that story online and I am one of those families you now know who has adopted from China, so I will keep checking. I will say that we have not received one negative comment anywhere we've been, although we were warned by our adoption agency, in four years that we've been home with our daughter.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM

341 posts, read 641,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
As far as I knew, a private business can shoot itself in the foot all it wants and it is not illegal to be a racist.
No, it is not illegal... Hitler hate Jews and was not illegal but it was too late for millions...

Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Channel 8 covered the story and verified the allegation that the proprietor verbally abused a local Asian family calling them the ugly word that rhymes with "Think".....the victims report that the proprietor abused them in front of the 10 y o son.....and told them to get out of his store. They were there to purchase a christmas tree and some decorations for the holiday.

A complaint has been filed with the attorney general's office. Moderator cut: Because the owner cannot defend his actions here, we'll leave the link out.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-06-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
Elton. maybe the guy is an old Veteran and is suffering form some kind of cognitive disorder? Not trying to make excuses, but trying to make sense of nonsense. I agree with the others, stay away, make others aware of this guy. I for one would not go there if I lived in the area and knew who it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine