Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,378 times

Advertisements

Hi

Frequent reader but don't post much. I need suggestions.

We have a family campsite with a camper on it that has been in the family for 2 generations northwest of Rangeley on aziscohos lake. Last summer a nearby camp - 100 yards away - was purchased by someone. There is no electricity in the area. This new person runs a generator just about 24/7 when there. 3 am and the generator is running and the sound carries wonderfully when the air is still.

Many people nearby have chatted with this individual and he says basically *********. He has no intentions of turning off the generator because he likes having his tv, fridge, etc.

So, what are the regulations for noise in the great white north of maine? I have found some information that suggests he needs to turn it off late at night. Would the oxford county sheriff report to the middle of no-where if they were called? Would a game-warden be a better group to contact about the noise issues?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Not sure about up where you are but a lot of towns do not have a noise ordinance. We don't and the only thing that folks can do is call the cops. It disturbing the peace or whatever the law calls it now. I can understand him wanting the fridge but a bit of common decency goes a long way. He doesn't seem to have any. I've heard Jewish Lightening happening around here. I sympathize with you. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
How big is the generator? Maybe someone could suggest some kind of sound dissipation? I built a kind of "dugout" for my generator at my house (we lose power a lot)-it also has a pretty substantial muffler which helps too. Of course if the guy is total jerk I guess it won't matter. If its that bad for you 100 yards away it must be a real racket for him though-I don't get that. Maybe a midnight sugaring of the gas tank will send a message?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Id call the town office, or the sherriff department, tell them you suspect he has a meth lab going, with that generator going all night (dont give your real name)

Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Would a game-warden be a better group to contact about the noise issues?
Actually why not? Maybe it will make it onto the next episode of North Woods Law

Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,483,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Id call the town office, or the sherriff department, tell them you suspect he has a meth lab going, with that generator going all night (dont give your real name)
Here's how we'd do it in Oklahoma: Get with your neighbors and purchase air raid or storm warning sirens and aim them toward the guy's trailer. It would also help if you dragged a good and ripe dead cow (make that moose, since you're in Maine) into his yard.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,955 times
An insulated little enclosure would help, but sounds like he won't consider that.I'd try the sheriff some night around 1 or 2 in the morning. If that doesn't help.......midnight sugar run..............

Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Sooner or later this guy is going to find it inconvenient to go to camp.

I know a guy who ran his generator from 6 to 8 PM every night. He charges his batteries, watches the news and gets on his Ham radio. He got a new neighbor who wanted peace and quiet when he was at camp. My guy asked what he could do. I told him to dig a hole the size of a washing machine. Get a piece of stainless flexible exhaust pipe at NAPA. fill the hole with stones. Put the stainless flex hose into the hole and fill the hole with rocks. Put a couple of cheap plastic tarps over the hole. Cover the hole with the soil you removed. Leave a plastic tube leading out from the "muffler".

The hole will absorb all the heat, all the sound and most of the water vapor leaving your generator as condensation. Next, build a generator shed like a dog house. Insulate the inside. That will also cut down on noise. This generator shed should be on the opposite side of your camp from your fussy neighbor. Even you will be pleased with the reduction in noise from your generator.

There is a cheap and effective solution for both of you. My guy was skeptical until he tried it. His wife never liked the generator noise, but tolerated it. Now everybody is happy.

You don't say whether your noisy neighbor owns or leases his lot. If he owns it, offer to install the underground silencer. If it's a campground, pass this on to the owner. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 02-23-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Here's how we'd do it in Oklahoma: Get with your neighbors and purchase air raid or storm warning sirens and aim them toward the guy's trailer. It would also help if you dragged a good and ripe dead cow (make that moose, since you're in Maine) into his yard.
OMG. The mere vision of that cacophony made me laugh so hard I believe my beverage just flew out my nose. Thanks for the belly laugh.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM

625 posts, read 792,719 times
I have to chime in on this one. I have tow camps one I rent and one I use in the summer mostly. I have owned it for many many years. That said a couple years ago I had a couple flatlanders buy a lot near mine not next to as when the guy who owned this land sold it I bought 5 lots to ensure I woudl NOT have anyone close to me. Well I put my genny about 120 yards into the woods so I would not hear it. Well the folks form mass who bought the lot one over from the one my genny is on built there camp in the spring and I was busy that spring and did not get up till the middle of summer. Got in about 4 in the afternoon and fired up the genny and me and two friends got the guns out and started shooting cause that is what I do at camp. Well they fearing for there lives thinking a tank and a army of armed hillbillies was about to ruin there life called the police who in turn called the wardens. About 8 pm 2 cruisers showed up then a while later one warden. They came over to my camp and asked what we was doing and I told em we where just up to camp for a few days. He asked why we where shooting I said cause that is what we do here. He asked what was running in the woods I pointed at the porch light. Well I also knew the other le and this guy was ok the other guy came back from the flatlander camp sayign they said we where driving trucks in their woods ( the genny noise ) and that we where shooting at them however the le's could see the 120 yards of range we had cut about 20 yards wide facing back form my camp not towards the flatlander camp. Well the le chatted the warden showed up and he went and chatted with the flatlanders as well. Then they came back and told me I was going to have to get my genny off there land. I laughed at the guy and said I did not sell that land. he gave me a odd look so I went in the camp got eh map and handed it to him and said the areas with the red boundary are MY LAND he looked and said o! I said you can go look at the stakes if you want. The warden did the le did not. HE then went to chat with the flatlanders again and came back and then asked if I would mind moving the genny. I replied hell no it has been there for more then 10 years and that is where it is staying. The flatlanders where not happy the warden made a couple threats that carried no weight. I have got many letters form the flatlanders and a few more visits form the wardens. Unorganized township no noise ordnance gennys required for power are exempt anyway as long as they have a muffler. In any case i now always bring the 50 and shoot all night on a regular basis just because they annoyed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine