Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer2 View Post
They're auctioning off lots of home in the Calais area starting under 10k....
mainer I've heard of a couple--what a great way for someone to pick up a second property. The biggest drawback though is that Calais property taxes are higher than the surrounding areas, so that may sway the second home buyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
I didn't know Calais had homes worth 100,000. Are you going by Georgia prices and assuming real estate is similar? Not so. You can buy a whole lot of houses in Calais for 100 grand.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer2 View Post
They're auctioning off lots of home in the Calais area starting under 10k.

Sign up for the local newspapers as the realtors mark the houses up pretty high. We bought a FSBO property on the water for 30k
Greta advice. Just started getting the Quoddy Tides and couldn't believe there minimum bids were $8k and $10K. This is probably the route we will go so that we can get there sooner. Maybe someone here could help with my related question. How could we determine if there are liens before we send in a bid?

While fixer upper is OK (DH and I will be retired and are fairly handy), owing tons of $ in unplanned liens may not work.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:43 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I didn't know Calais had homes worth 100,000. Are you going by Georgia prices and assuming real estate is similar? Not so. You can buy a whole lot of houses in Calais for 100 grand.
I wouldn't say a "whole lot of houses".....I'd say yes, there are a few. As for none being worth $100K I'd just say you haven't been to Calais, or maybe nothing is "worth" that amount to you. Calais has a good amount of waterfront property along with some beautiful historic homes, it's a safe bet to say that probably half of the property in Calais is "worth" more that $100K---including my house!!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Agree Molly! Calais has some VERY nice homes. There are a few there, that I would bet 5 times that amount wouldn't touch for price and value. Then like every city and town, there are those that you could buy 5 or 6 homes and still have enough left over to de-bug them and clean them out.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"How could we determine if there are liens before we send in a bid?"

Have a title search done and buy title insurance. Have a good home inspector look at the property. He will give you a good evaluation of the building and estimate the costs of any immediate or upcoming repairs.

Here's a suggestion: If you gut a room down to the studs you'll likely find 2x4s in the walls. Rip some 2x4s in half and strap the existing studs so the exterior walls will be thicker. You can then use insulation for a 2x6 wall and save on heating costs forever. It's cheap to do and you won't reduce the room size noticably. That is also a good time to replace the windows in that room. You can sell the old windows to somebody that is building a camp.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:29 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
There are a lot of beautiful homes in Calais, worth well over $100K. If I found a really solid house for less than $100K, that needed just cosmetics, I'd consider myself very lucky.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I wouldn't say a "whole lot of houses".....I'd say yes, there are a few. As for none being worth $100K I'd just say you haven't been to Calais, or maybe nothing is "worth" that amount to you. Calais has a good amount of waterfront property along with some beautiful historic homes, it's a safe bet to say that probably half of the property in Calais is "worth" more that $100K---including my house!!
While scouting property in and around Machias last July, I decided to drive up to Calais to check it out as I had never been there. I was very surprised to see some very beautiful old Victorians in town for sale and what I would call cheap prices. One of the houses was like 5 bedrooms, nice woodwork, updated electrical, plumbing and heating. Newer roof and vinyl siding. It had been on the market for some number of months and was around $30k asking price. I figured it could be had for less. If I could have got the listing agent out there that afternoon I probably would have bought it on impulse.

After that I started periodically looking at the listings on the MLS for Calais. Seems like the prices are all over the place. I thought it was a nice town though, just further north than we want to be right now.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"How could we determine if there are liens before we send in a bid?"

Have a title search done and buy title insurance. Have a good home inspector look at the property. He will give you a good evaluation of the building and estimate the costs of any immediate or upcoming repairs.

Here's a suggestion: If you gut a room down to the studs you'll likely find 2x4s in the walls. Rip some 2x4s in half and strap the existing studs so the exterior walls will be thicker. You can then use insulation for a 2x6 wall and save on heating costs forever. It's cheap to do and you won't reduce the room size noticably. That is also a good time to replace the windows in that room. You can sell the old windows to somebody that is building a camp.
Yup, good advice.

You could also leave the 2x4 studs alone and spray in foam insulation. 3 1/2 inches of sprayed in insulation has better R value than the R 19 you can fit into 2x6 walls. Also the foam fills every nook and cranny. This is definitely more expensive than rolled fiberglass insulation but if you can afford the upfront cost it will surely pay for it self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine