Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM

222 posts, read 529,721 times

Advertisements

When I drove home tonight and came over the hill, the little boy across the street (about 6 or 7), who just got his first snowmobile was still out riding around on his toy (he only has about a 1/2 acre to go around on and he goes round and round). It was very cold, but you could here him laughing and the light of his tiny snow mobile casting shadows on the snow. It was magical to see a child having so much fun in the snow that he did not care if his feet were cold or if he was late for dinner-he had snow to plow through : ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:18 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
We put up the Christmas tree (2 weeks later than usual) and it wasn't any fun at all. We didn't even care if we put it up or not. All we kept talking about was "next year when we're back home". Then I cried. Then he cried. We are both Christmas people and usually go crazy decorating. We didn't even put a wreath on the front door this year.

Shhh, don't tell my mother. At almost 88, she still decorates like a crazy woman

Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM

121 posts, read 320,580 times
I sat at the computer for almost two hours looking at pictures of Maine in the SNOW! If it wasn't for this forum and Wunderground I would just lose it waiting to move!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Tonight I went to the town Christmas parade....we went 15 minutes before it was supposed to start. A good friend of ours was at the corner, in full police garb, ready to block the road when it was time. Jake pounded him with a couple of snowballs and he promptly turned Jake upside down over his shoulder. A man walked past with a golden retriever puppy that his family got in late fall. The puppy came from somewhere in Newport and they've had the best time with him. He loved the snow on Monday, and the man said that the puppy rolled and rolled in it, then shoved his whole face under it. Then he asked if I'd seen a particular person yet, I hadn't, neither had the policeman...and he walked on. I have no idea who he is....but we had fun with the puppy! Jake and his friend who is spending the night had a snowball fight while waiting for the parade, another man came by with his retriever, we know him....asked us if we saw the man with the puppy, and filled us in with more information about the puppy, he didn't know the man either! A person came and stood beside me while the parade was going by (all 7 minutes of it! )....and we talked the entire time, I have no idea who it was! Her son was playing in the snow with mine. While the parade went by a few people in it yelled to me by name.....Amy went by in the band float, I yelled her name--she stopped playing and waved Took supper over to the 16 year old son who is working at the gym and 4 people were in there working out. We all said hi, but I don't know them, and the adult asked if it was still snowing and we chatted about Monday and Tuesday's storm. Turns out it was the coach and a few of the guys from the wrestling team in the next town over.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I was just thinking that EVERY day I'm reminded in a gazillion ways that Maine is home, and I'm so anxious to get there. I feel out of place and so discontented. It's that unexplainable feeling that our time here is over. Time to move on! I think you can only understand if you've experienced it.

My sweet husband keeps telling me, "We'll be there soon." And I know we will!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
I do understand that feeling El. But when it happens it will happen all at once and you will be so busy! I felt like I was drowning when I was away. The wonderful thing was, everyone was waiting. By the time we hit the town line in Old Town the phones were ringing from one person to the next. We were met in Old Town by the friends that came up to check out the house we are renting. There was someone waiting in front of the house with the keys when we pulled in.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:00 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
'Today'?

Maine is great, but I got off on a bad footing today.

We had this cute little buck that KAF gave us, he has been full of life and energy all fall.

He was a runt, born in late spring and just never managed to catch up in size. He had skin problems and was not prospering at KAF's.

I would bring him in each day so that he could eat some grain separately without the herd knocking him away. They ram and beat each other up whenever one of the goats is not aggressive.

With some daily grain he had energy and was playful, he ran in the forest and ate lots of grass and bark, his belly became so big everyday that if anything he had issues jumping and playing as his belly was often too full. In our entire herd his voice has been the loudest. KAF expected that we would slaughter him and have a BBQ. But once his skin cleared up and he began putting on weight, I just kept putting it off.

I have not fed him separately for at least a month now. He has been able to stand up for himself and get his mouthful of grain while the herd is feeding together each day.

Yesterday I saw the other goats had knocked him down in a snow bank and he had a hard time standing up again. He had no cough, his nose was not runny, he was loud calling to me and seemed to just need help standing back up once his feet had sunk into the deep snow. I was planning on bringing him inside this morning and feeding him grain separately.

When I let the herd out this morning, he was missing. I found him, laying in the goat's shed, he died last night.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:06 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
'Today'?

Maine is great, but I got off on a bad footing today.

We had this cute little buck that KAF gave us, he has been full of life and energy all fall.

He was a runt, born in late spring and just never managed to catch up in size. He had skin problems and was not prospering at KAF's.

I would bring him in each day so that he could eat some grain separately without the herd knocking him away. They ram and beat each other up whenever one of the goats is not aggressive.

With some daily grain he had energy and was playful, he ran in the forest and ate lots of grass and bark, his belly became so big everyday that if anything he had issues jumping and playing as his belly was often too full. In our entire herd his voice has been the loudest. KAF expected that we would slaughter him and have a BBQ. But once his skin cleared up and he began putting on weight, I just kept putting it off.

I have not fed him separately for at least a month now. He has been able to stand up for himself and get his mouthful of grain while the herd is feeding together each day.

Yesterday I saw the other goats had knocked him down in a snow bank and he had a hard time standing up again. He had no cough, his nose was not runny, he was loud calling to me and seemed to just need help standing back up once his feet had sunk into the deep snow. I was planning on bringing him inside this morning and feeding him grain separately.

When I let the herd out this morning, he was missing. I found him, laying in the goat's shed, he died last night.
I'm so sorry Forest.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:07 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Forrest--I'm sorry. Wonder what happened to the little guy--just got trapped and too cold?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Ah Dayum. I am sorry Forest. Real sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine