Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,358 times

Advertisements

I wondered what people thought of the traffic on rt. 85? I have school aged children. The oldest likes to walk when the weather is nice but gets very frustrated by the speeding traffic he feels the need to dodge. I also have younger ones that wait for the bus and also feel somewhat threatened by those who speed by. I understand that the speed limit is posted up to 45 mph however that is obviously exceeded by many. This street houses both the middle school and elementary school for Raymond. How do we support our children and their right to feel safe on our street? Is there anyone else that has an opinion on this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins III View Post
I wondered what people thought of the traffic on rt. 85? I have school aged children. The oldest likes to walk when the weather is nice but gets very frustrated by the speeding traffic he feels the need to dodge. I also have younger ones that wait for the bus and also feel somewhat threatened by those who speed by. I understand that the speed limit is posted up to 45 mph however that is obviously exceeded by many. This street houses both the middle school and elementary school for Raymond. How do we support our children and their right to feel safe on our street? Is there anyone else that has an opinion on this matter?
when this has happened in this area, folks will complain to the local police, and the police will set up speed traps

Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 AM

502 posts, read 1,736,161 times
Not sure exactly what you are fishing for. The school area in raymond is a 35 zone and it is patrolled by the sheriff. It is a busy area but traffic typically slows pretty good when going through.

The rest of rt 85 is different. 45 zone that many people don't go 45 in. It is typically of many major country roads. If you are moving to the area then I would suggest not getting a house on rt 85.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 AM

I have spoken with the police and a speed trap was supposed to be set up. This was last year and it has yet to happen. I understand that they are very busy and patrol a huge area so I was only trying to be supportive of my community.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM

I am not fishing for anything. I have lived on 85 for many years. My community is full of people who enjoy exercise and frequently walk this road. The children in the middle school enjoy walking to and from school on nice days as well. The problem is they live outside the "school zone" and as you mentioned it is posted 45 mph. It is not common for traffic to adhere to this limit. It is more like 60+. This includes large trucks and commercial vehicles as well as every day local traffic. Police have a large area to patrol, as I'm sure you are aware. I would like to do my part as a part of this community to help our kids feel safer. That was my intent for this post.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins III View Post
I am not fishing for anything. I have lived on 85 for many years. My community is full of people who enjoy exercise and frequently walk this road. The children in the middle school enjoy walking to and from school on nice days as well. The problem is they live outside the "school zone" and as you mentioned it is posted 45 mph. It is not common for traffic to adhere to this limit. It is more like 60+. This includes large trucks and commercial vehicles as well as every day local traffic. Police have a large area to patrol, as I'm sure you are aware. I would like to do my part as a part of this community to help our kids feel safer. That was my intent for this post.
Like shadowfax1997 said the scenario you described is very familiar. Some roads are just not good roads for walking, biking, jogging, or safe for kids to be on. 85 is a secondary State route patrolled by the Sherriff or the local LEO's. These secondary roads are used much more often than one might imagine. We live near a road similar to route 85. People complain, put up their own "slow down" signs, there are "children playing" signs, speed traps occasionally and yet nothing seems to get the cars to slow down. The posted speed is 45 yet 55-60 is the norm. There is nothing you can do about it. People use these roads daily for commuting, delivery trucks use them daily for their routes, large trucks use them occasionally to move freight. The police will act when called but as soon as they leave the speed will resume and the safety drops down again. I won't even walk down the secondary road near us it just isn't safe to do. I'd suggest taking your kids to a dead end road for a walk or to ride their bicycles. Either that or move to a less traveled road. Most "safe" roads are posted for 35mph or less. 25mph is even better. I'd look for a road with a much lower speed limit as you cannot stop people from driving fast on the those 45 -50 mph secondary roads.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM

22 posts, read 40,830 times
We're hoping to move over to raymond (from standish) and build a house this year. I'm a cyclist and rt85 looks like a death trap. Similar to River Rd. heading into Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine