Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times

Advertisements

This is an excerpt of a letter that appeared in our local paper yesterday:

Quote:
Cain not a true Mainer
I have been reading up on the candidates and find that Emily Cain is not a true Mainer. Born in Kentucky, raised in Illinois, graduated high school in New Jersey. Moved to Orono and lived with relatives while attending UMO, then went to Harvard. Not a political major, but music education. She is now working on her Ph.D. in Public Policy.
Not a "true Mainer."

I am glad that this attitude is certainly not typical of 95% of the "true Mainers" I know. So if you ever are tempted to write something like that to your local paper, take a second thought and don't. It's just reinforcing the bad stereotype of the residents of the greatest state in the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,676 times
I don't have a problem with what the person wrote and can empathize. Having grown up in California, which has been destroyed by new residents with special agendas (former Speaker of the House, for example), I understand why some Mainers are wary of people 'from away' moving in and changing their state's dynamics. Perhaps if more Californians had been careful in their priorities when voting, it would not be experiencing the many problems it has now.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
I'm 100% okay with criticizing a candidate's agenda. We need more of that.

But the attitude of, "You ain't from here. Git off my lawn!" is really sad. Mainers have a reputation for that, which is totally undeserved 95% of the time. But every now and then one of the remaining 5% pop up.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 AM

642 posts, read 1,256,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This is an excerpt of a letter that appeared in our local paper yesterday:

Not a "true Mainer."

I am glad that this attitude is certainly not typical of 95% of the "true Mainers" I know. So if you ever are tempted to write something like that to your local paper, take a second thought and don't. It's just reinforcing the bad stereotype of the residents of the greatest state in the union.
Do we know if the letter writer was a "true Mainer"?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
Only been in Maine for a short bit BUT, I understand totally the ideal of being cautious of people from away. Have experienced it in other states where I have lived. Myself I am not even voting in Maine until I am here long enough to understand what's at stake and have a vested interest in what goes on. As for someone especially from the city, there's an old saying: "You can take the boy/girl out of the city but you can't take the city out of the boy/girl." I HAVE been watching the ads (how can one avoid them) if half of what they say about her is true, like the death tax and not liking to cut taxes and being anti sportsman and it is not just mud-slinging then she is deserving of the negative publicity. Thank God November 4th is right around the corner.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:40 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not a "true Mainer."
What did they say about that poor fellow in the "Bert and I" recordings...seems he was born in New Hampshire and came here when he was one month old...he was "from away"!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:43 PM

109 posts, read 198,891 times
A true Mainer is one who leaves others alone to live their life as they see fit!
I've always said "my right to smoke ends with somebody else' right not to" but don't give me crap about the small if you need to wear a ton of perfume or patchouli oil because you refuse to bathe!
In other words "welcome to Maine, we like and shoot our guns, we cut trees for a living & to heat our homes, and we eat stuff we kill. Don't force us to change because you are offended."

Emily Cain finds our way of life offensive and has always tried to better it by forcing her city-ways down our throats. Her actions have negatively impacted my personal & business life.
She's not a 'true-Mainer' in that she refuses to acclimate to our way of life and continues to force change.

We'll soon have to change the sign at the border... Welcome to Maine where welfare is free, energy is unaffordable and jobs are priceless!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
A true Mainer is one who leaves others alone to live their life as they see fit!
I've always said "my right to smoke ends with somebody else' right not to" but don't give me crap about the small if you need to wear a ton of perfume or patchouli oil because you refuse to bathe!
In other words "welcome to Maine, we like and shoot our guns, we cut trees for a living & to heat our homes, and we eat stuff we kill. Don't force us to change because you are offended."

Emily Cain finds our way of life offensive and has always tried to better it by forcing her city-ways down our throats. Her actions have negatively impacted my personal & business life.
She's not a 'true-Mainer' in that she refuses to acclimate to our way of life and continues to force change.

We'll soon have to change the sign at the border... Welcome to Maine where welfare is free, energy is unaffordable and jobs are priceless!
I was born here and have lived here 60 years and I think that makes me a "true Mainer". I don't think like this and I hope there are other "true Mainer's" who don't think like this.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
she is a liberal fruit-loop

she will probably get elected, if a community organizer can be president - then why cant a music major be elected??

another cocktail politician, with lip service

im sick of both sides,,,we need a political cleansing ,

true mainer??? you wont find 3 people to agree on what that means

Old 10-24-2014, 05:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Get over it. IMO, it doesn't give Maine natives a bad rep at all. Others would almost expect such a comment, in a matter-of-fact way, much like, "You can't get they-ah from he-ah." Or, calling someone who's lived in Maine for decades a newcomer. Quirky, quaint, not evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine