Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 51,600 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking of moving back to the west coast area and wanted to get any info from other transplants. We have been here (Portland)for about 6 months and are really having trouble with Housing. We can't seem to find a decent place that people don't lie about 1 thing or another just to try and get you to rent. We were hoping to buy a house but after living here a little while and learning about the area, unfortunately we are still having issues!
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 PM

6,632 posts, read 13,573,676 times
Have you looked for housing outside of Portland? Or would you not be able to commute?

When I lived in FL I rented a house. The lease went through a real estate agent's office. The landlords were screened. Does anyone know if there's something like this in Portland?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,233,284 times
The Portland market is so small that there are very few agents that work with rental properties and those that do represent sellers. I know in larger markets agents work with renters, but not here.

michloryn, can you be more specific about your comments?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 PM

Well, coming from a large city real estate agents are quite agressive and especially if they have a "live" one with money to spend. Here, we haven't been getting any follow up after a showing or even after I call the agent to say "no to that property but let me know if something comes avail. in the future" I never hear from them again. And, what people think is totally re-done looks like a DIY mis-hap if you ask me. I'm starting to think we are too picky, yet we have met some really nice people and I think everyone can not live in the places we are seeing because they are not very good for what $ people are asking (we have been looking mainly in the West end and Old Portand)
Sorry about the rambling but we are so frustrated and didn't think it would be so difficult here.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 PM

I'm not sure I understand, are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:09 PM

Right now rent. The initial plan was rent for a short term 3-6 months, do a little traveling about and decide where we want to buy hopefully by 6-8 months. But, we have now been here for 6 months and have had such problems just for renting that I'm not sure about delving into the buying market because we are a little down on if this is really the right area.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,104,125 times
"...what people think is totally re-done looks like a DIY mis-hap..."

LOL, I can so relate. Maybe you *should* be a little "less picky", see if you can find something that hasn't been *too* badly done that you think you could do over better.

I've looked at a lot of houses in ME over the last 14 months or so. Some have had some very excellent work done to them, while others (only a small percentage really)...let's just say that I've seen some tree-houses built by 7 year olds that displayed finer fit and finish. The do-it-yourself spirit is alive and well, but sometimes you just have to admit your limitations and get someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM

Ah, o.k. I understand. I wish there was a more organized place to look for rentals, but other than craigslist and the daily newspaper's site, I'm stumped. As for buying, I'd recommend you establish an exclusive relationship with a REALTOR who is willing to represent you in a future purchase down the road. If you decide not to buy, there is no cost to you and if the agent doesn't want to invest the time with you now, find somebody who is forward thinking enough to plan for a mutually beneficial relationship both now and in the future. You should also interview financing sources on the same basis, it's a good idea to know what you might qualify for now based on your combined incomes, savings, credit scores and the current interest rate.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
"...what people think is totally re-done looks like a DIY mis-hap..."

LOL, I can so relate. Maybe you *should* be a little "less picky", see if you can find something that hasn't been *too* badly done that you think you could do over better.

I've looked at a lot of houses in ME over the last 14 months or so. Some have had some very excellent work done to them, while others (only a small percentage really)...let's just say that I've seen some tree-houses built by 7 year olds that displayed finer fit and finish. The do-it-yourself spirit is alive and well, but sometimes you just have to admit your limitations and get someone who knows what they are doing.
Oh so true. So many start out with good intentions only to be overwhelmed with the task at hand.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I'll keep you posted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: