Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:00 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
That's also assuming you don't have vehicle expenses too, which let's be honest, any place in Maine where you can find a rent for $500 with heat included is unlikely to have many if any jobs within walking distance or anything resembling public transportation. Also 15k/year assumes close to 40 hours per week, which with most minimum wage jobs is optimistic to say the least.
There are a number of towns in northern Maine where you absolutely must have a car, true. These would be the very small towns. But in some cases you can survive without one. I did, for over a year.
In the bigger towns, there are jobs you can walk to.
Sitel is a call center which just moved from Loring to downtown Caribou; this means any one living in town can walk to it. But they also have a ride program; they will pick you up from just about anywhere.
They pay $8 or $9 an hour. It's not a great job, but it's a job.
With section 8 apartments, you won't even pay $500 a month. You might pay $200 or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Even people making minimum wage still pay social security/medicare (about $1,150 per year) and sales taxes. I just don't think it's a good idea to uproot yourself and move to a rural area of Maine (with no car I assume) and NEED welfare to survive. The OP is asking for advice, and that's mine.
I don't think I would do it, either..........unless I had family/friends there.
But the OP asked if it is possible, and it definitely is.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:12 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Minimum-Wage [$15,000/year] is well above poverty [$11,000/year].

Many government assistance programs are keyed to poverty.

On the other hand, a household with two adults working Minimum-Wage is far above the average household income.

One adult working full-time and one adult working part-time [both on Minimum-Wage] works out to be about the average household income for raising children here.

Of course in reality, a lot of these jobs are seasonal.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
It would be horrible in Maine or anywhere in the US.
I agree that it would be a bad idea to plan your future on the idea of working Minimum-Wage anywhere.

Thankfully Maine has such a low Cost-Of-Living, it does allow for many families to do okay here. Where they would be doing much worse elsewhere.

A lot of us retirees come to Maine because our money goes so much farther here. It works better for all of us, both the small pension folks like me, and the wealthy retirees that we also have in this forum.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Even people making minimum wage still pay social security/medicare (about $1,150 per year) and sales taxes. I just don't think it's a good idea to uproot yourself and move to a rural area of Maine (with no car I assume) and NEED welfare to survive. The OP is asking for advice, and that's mine.
Most folks making that much cash, will not 'need' welfare in Maine.

Everyone who opts to be in SS, pays into SS. Likewise we all pay sales tax. At least we do not all pay income taxes, that is reserved for higher income folks.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times
I'm not planning anything on min wage, but I'm trying to find a spot were min wage != death, like down here in ma. I'm basing min wage as most likely worse case scenario, as well, you never know....

Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
It's next to impossible to live on minimum wage IMO. You might get by if you rent a room in someone's house rather than an apartment or mobile home of your own.

Here's an example in Belgrade, Maine Room for rent in waterfront home This one is $400 a month PLUS half of utilities.

Here's an example in Bangor. rooms for rent includes heat and some other utilities.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 PM

Both Belgrade and Bangor would be more expensive than many other smaller towns in Maine. You can rent an apartment in many towns for $400-450 a month, heat included (1 bedroom).

Old 05-08-2015, 03:29 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I would rephrase the question:

"How good is working a min wage job up in northern Maine? (1 person)"

It is pretty good for many people. They have chosen a lifestyle and they are a significant part of our smaller towns.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:09 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times
off topic alittle, but is there any demand up there for jobs in the computer/IT field? or are they hard to find?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine