Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:26 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times

Advertisements

Not to offend anyone, but i am getting very confused, from threads were it sounds like most of maine shares nmlms view on things, to being the exact oppisite. I am starting to become really confused on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 07:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Maine is as big as the other five New England states combined. You can find what you want in your comfort zone in Maine. Just today I posted about two tows with very different philosophies. This is possible because we have something called "home rule".

Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
It is a mix.

Since moving to Maine, I have met a few people who started off wanting to know what church you belong to. That is how they categorize other people. But you only think of the 'Bible belt' doing that, not New Englanders. So far I can only thing of 6 maybe that really stood out to me as doing that to me.

I wear a full beard. I have worn a beard for most of my adult life. It was seen as tradition within my careerfield. But in most places where I have been stationed, when you go off-base and deal with locals. Beards are un-common. Walk into a restaurant and if there are any men with facial hair, they each make eye contact and nod their head at you. It is like your in a fraternity. Otherwise the feminized men project onto bearded men that they must be 'bikers' or outlaws. I can site many examples. In my travels I have been many places stateside, where females will go to lengths to avoid passing near a bearded man on the sidewalk or int he aisles of a store. By contrast in Maine beards are a common sight, and they do not mean anything. Facial hair is fully accepted by the culture here.

Consider adolescent females, as a parent I have observed that there can be a huge amount of peer pressure put on girls to fit in, in terms of make-up, dress, music, teen idols, etc. Some states have it much worse than others. We were fostering some children, when I first began coming to Maine shopping for land. It was a stark difference that really caught me. Here a woman can be a sales clerk or a waitress, wearing comfortable shoes, flannel shirt and jeans. Or she can do the make-up thing, coordinated jewelry and outfit, but it is entirely up to her as an individual. The culture here is not forcing behavior on the members of society here.

I know a lot of Mainers who wear long hair, work clothes, and are generally dirty [meaning sweat, soil, grease]. You really can not tell from a distance if they are 'liberal' or 'conservative'. They may look to be hippies, but they do not fit the stereotypes.

Among the Mainers I know and deal with, the most 'liberal' individuals are also the most clean cut, well dressed and squared-away looking people.

If you want to see hippies, come to the Common Ground Fair 25 to 27 September in Unity. I will be there all three days

The other place is Harry Browns farm in Starks. He hosts a dozen rock concerts all summer long. Each concert is a weekend in length and has a long list of bands performing. Lots of hippies attend his concerts. [so I hear]

I do not think you can summarize Maine either way. There are liberals and conservatives. There are hippies and there are suits.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:34 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times
So very polarized then, ok i was just confused, im used to the mass layout were most are highly liberal, with a few "conserveratives" which are more centerlined. You do get deep republican, but very very few.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:53 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I am active with a couple different groups at UM-Orono; which 'seems' to be mostly liberals. I know a few who are on even the Democrat party pay-roll. However some on the university payroll that are tea-party [granted you need to know them first before they will reveal themselves].

I know a few among the John Birch society.

The only thing really missing, ... I do not know many who are actually 'straight' Republicans.

Watchmen, yes. Tea-party good God yes, like fleas on a dog. Birchers, yes. But when it comes to straight Republican, I know very few who actually like the Repub party.

I know many who lean Repub, simply because they hate every thing else more than they hate the Repubs.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:37 PM

447 posts, read 651,903 times
Wow this was interesting. So I grew up in idaho beards are normal keeps you warm and women seem to like them. I had a room mate in idaho who was dumbfounded by facial hair when he came up from southern california-he eventually gave in and attempted to grow a beard. Also same thing when I came back down to california they aren't common. Totally found a girl who digs mine though. Men aren't men anymore you have to be sensitive and shave and keep your nails clean and dress up etc. its out of hand.

Whole country is polarized. Anyway I get along just fine with most people as long as they tolerate my all over the place independence ha!

Old 09-19-2015, 05:00 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
Depends on where you go really. Portland(northern Boston) is very yuppieish. there's pockets of old hippies everywhere. Blue Hill is a good example. In the woods where I live it's mostly old conservatives with a mix of new flatlander types moving in....sheesh.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:20 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
Men aren't men anymore you have to be sensitive and shave and keep your nails clean and dress up etc. its out of hand.
Definitely not true here. And, you don't have to pretend to be anything you aren't. We are real here, and it turns some people off but so be it.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:43 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you want to see hippies, come to the Common Ground Fair 25 to 27 September in Unity. I will be there all three days
That's been on our calendar since we first heard about it. We're in South China, so we're pretty close to Unity. Looking forward to checking out the Common Ground Fair.

As far as Maine being a bunch of one thing or another, mostly it's a bunch of pretty decent people. Every point on the political spectrum is represented, but the vast majority of people seem to me to fall pretty much in the middle. I think common sense is valued more than political sense.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Portland is the liberal mecca of maine

north of Portland...it gets more conservative...more people hunt, more people like their freedoms,,,,more people want government out of their busness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine