Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 9,769 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of buying a home in Monroe, The previous owner has a pole that needs to be isntalled on the property. The problem we are having is we cannot seem to find an electrician that will put the pole up and hook it up. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to get this utility poled installed and hooked up? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Central Maine Power should be able to give you names and contact info.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Yeah, that was the first place we called, they told us we would need to find an electrician to do this since it is between the Box and the House. We have cold called a few electricians already but cannot find one that will do the work in the area.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:42 PM

77 posts, read 84,206 times
maybe try the Maine Electricians Union? IBEW, I think.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:02 PM

Awesome, Will def. give that a try! Thanks!

Old 10-12-2015, 04:29 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times
I'm not sure exactly what you mean about needing a pole between the box and the house unless the owner had a temporary service installed out by the power lines while he was building the place. If that is the case, he did it because he didn't want to pay for the extra pole at that time. If that is the case, I would go to the power company to have the service moved to the house. The power company is responsible for everything up to meter. If you need an extra pole installed, you have to pay for that which is what you are finding now. I think you are asking the power company the wrong question. Tell them you want the service moved to the house location. You still will need an electrician to connect up to the meter, but if the service is not delivered to the house, you are responsible for the line from the service location to the house. So when a tree falls on the line between the meter and your house, don't call the power company, you need to get it repaired yourself. You will pay the power company a fee if the install is not typical, but if they need a pole to deliver service, they would put it in and charge you. If that is not what you are describing, disregard!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
We added an extra light in yard through Eastern Maine electric. ( pole and light etc ) Cost was very little to put in, and only draw back was a contract for I think 2 years to keep it on.
Does a great job !

Old 10-12-2015, 07:44 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Does this house already have grid power?

Please do not install outdoor lighting just to light up the outdoors. We have wonderful night skies.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:49 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Does this house already have grid power?

Please do not install outdoor lighting just to light up the outdoors. We have wonderful night skies.

That we do...
We put an extra outdoor light actually for the dogs. - To see if anything was in the yard before we let our gang out. It also makes great lighting for outdoor photos. ...
It does, however, aid our neighbor as their outdoor 'woodinator' thing is on that path. They can see better when they load it up at night...

Old 10-12-2015, 08:10 PM

468 posts, read 758,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you mean about needing a pole between the box and the house unless the owner had a temporary service installed out by the power lines while he was building the place. If that is the case, he did it because he didn't want to pay for the extra pole at that time. If that is the case, I would go to the power company to have the service moved to the house. The power company is responsible for everything up to meter. If you need an extra pole installed, you have to pay for that which is what you are finding now. I think you are asking the power company the wrong question. Tell them you want the service moved to the house location. You still will need an electrician to connect up to the meter, but if the service is not delivered to the house, you are responsible for the line from the service location to the house. So when a tree falls on the line between the meter and your house, don't call the power company, you need to get it repaired yourself. You will pay the power company a fee if the install is not typical, but if they need a pole to deliver service, they would put it in and charge you. If that is not what you are describing, disregard!

I concur with Kellysmith.

My house is back about 300 ft from the road and MPS (now Emera) has a pole on my front lawn. They indeed own and maintain everything up to the drop wire above the meter box on the house. Last year they even came out and clipped a few branches from trees on my front lawn that were beginning to rub up against the power cable and did the work free of charge since it's their line they're maintaining.

You want this set up I think, as Kelly says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: