Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:28 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msp079 View Post
Hey Kevin,

I live in CT and close by New Britain....I head to Rolly Polly every weekend for meats, bread, smoked whitefish, etc...Great place with a decent variety. My wife's grandparents are in there early 90's and I still take shots of Spirytus 190 proof with JaJa, and if I don't he calls me a baby in polish haha.
I think you should really give it a try. I grew up in NJ and our population was mixed with a large polish heritage. Kielbasa on a stick at a campfire was expected over hot dogs. I think adding another restaurant that offers the same cuisine as your competitors would be harder than a restaurant offering something completely different. I thought of opening a pizza place in Maine when I moved there 15 years ago. People balked at me and said " how can you make a better pizza". Then the slice bar opened and they were from Boston. I talked to them and they thought the same thing as me, "How could we fail, they do not have good pizza here".

Start small and slow, and you will know if enough people want it. You already have a small customer base here by just talking about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 11:48 AM

880 posts, read 2,345,823 times
Portland has Bogusha's on Steven's Ave. It has been there for ages, and does well from what I have heard. I place closer to downtown would probably do well also. Freeport would be hard, I think, unless there was a large group of Polish/similar in the area. Freeport is full of tourists looking for deals, not necessarily food. Plus, everybody disappears after 6:00pm. Portland has longer hours of operation.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:04 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
Just a case in point that many people enjoy Polish food just like many people like Chinese,Italian food. One does not necessarily need the demographics to succeed

Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM

86 posts, read 106,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
She is someone who is very educated in business, I doubt you will get her on board. Restaurant industry is very, very failure prone. Profits are very, very hard to come by. Especially such a niche market. I used to visit many restaurant owners as part of my job. They would come and go at an alarming rate.

Just being honest.
I agree with you 100% on that. It is a very stressful business, long hours, and can put strains on relationships...It is something we have been talking about, but with her she is business minded. I am more of the people person and interacting with the locals....I mentioned the food truck idea and that might be the route we will run, for the mere fact we can control more aspects with less overhead.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:43 PM

198 posts, read 211,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
all this talk of Polish food makes me home sick. I grew up in western PA. We had 2 really good Polish markets with awesome Kielbasa and fresh sausage.

My mom use to cook some up fro breakfast on Christmas morning.

My Dad did too, in Pittsburgh area, family all Polish immigrants.
My question while on the topic of food; Are there any communities in ME than have somewhat of a Polish Population? In Mass, where I used to live, more Poles in Central Ma and out towards Chicopee MA than Boston area (Irish & Italians) and new immigrants (well thats all over).

That would be important to me.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine