Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2016, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,763 times

Advertisements

Today we went for a nice ride ! Our plan was to ride from Pittsfield through Hartland to harmony and loop back through Athens, did it a few weeks ago with no issues.
Today on the other hand was different! The railroad bed from Pittsfield to Hartland is fairly smooth except for the railroad spikes in the trail! I picked up one in a rear tire. Went back to have it fixed and headed out again! Wouldn't you know it I picked up another one about a mile from where I got the first one . (Front tire this time)
I stopped and picked up 16 railroad spikes on my way back!
Attached Thumbnails
Maine ATV trails!-20160910_114519.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 12:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
There are two basic kinds of Railroad spikes, the traditional ones tht fasten rails to ties and the long ones about a foot long like giant carpentry nails. When the rails were torn up, crews picked up most of the spikes, but they were not hired to be meticulous about it. Thank you for picking them up. I wish every ider had a pair of brush loppers to trim back the brush. Riders would be amazed at how few people actually maintain club trails.

In Maine we can ride 100 miles to the ocean. We can do that in no other state except possibly Alaska.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:10 AM

Well I seen a spike a couple of weeks ago on another trail and didn't stop and pick it up! But I will from now on! I had to order tires today at150 a pc, that spike pokes a big ol hole in the tire and is impossible to patch!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:02 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Okay- I have a question here when it comes to ATV trails. There is run that runs the back or our property. I didn't have an issue at first, but this year it is turning into a dumping site for trash. Since it is running our property, is there a way to mark the trail in some way for litter- or who do I contact to report this ? ( short of the game warden..)

Old 09-11-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Okay- I have a question here when it comes to ATV trails. There is run that runs the back or our property. I didn't have an issue at first, but this year it is turning into a dumping site for trash. Since it is running our property, is there a way to mark the trail in some way for litter- or who do I contact to report this ? ( short of the game warden..)
Yes please report it! Riding on private property is a privilege not a right,if people are littering and using your property as a dump they need to be reported! I would consider putting up a trail cam in trouble areas, without land owners riders would be stuck in their own yard looking at a really expensive lawn ornament!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:32 AM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Quote:
You should deny access to anyone who abuses their privileged use of your property. Notify local snowmobile and ATV clubs that trashing your property will result in their loss of access. If you decide to close off your property to public access, that's your right.

More info here:

Frequently Asked Questions: Mane IF&W

Old 09-14-2016, 11:38 AM

Moaineborzoi, You will have better luck on this issue by contacting the Maine Forest Service. There are large clean ups every fall on properties with large problems. As I mention in various posts, Maine has the oldest average age population. We need young riders to help out with this problem. There was a site in Hodgdon that had over 50 discarded appliances. That's more than a truckload. It takes a crew to move, not just a couple of people.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:20 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
I saw a sign on a trail two yrs ago,,,it said smile,,,you are on trail cams,,,, the litterbug will be prosecuted,,

maybe that will deter the littering

Old 09-15-2016, 01:06 AM

The big fall clean up is next weekend, September 24.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:38 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
If you call Waite General Store they'll be able to tell you the local club's contact. I couldn't find it on ATVMaine. One call the club usually takes care of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: