Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
Being from California and having misspent my youth and well into my adult years smoking "the bud", and a lot of it, I feel legalizing it would make it more available to kids and young adults. They, in turn, can waste away and turn their minds into mush, thereby squandering away the most important parts of their lives and walking around "stupid", just like I did.

25 years ago, there is no way in the world I would've voted NO to legalize marijuana. I would've crawled over broken glass to vote YES! The libertarian in me is still putting up a fight, too! But after finally growing up, having a family and realizing, with great regret, what I COULD HAVE made out of my life without drugs and alcohol, I vote NO, emphatically.

For those adults that smoke pot responsibly, I'm sorry but too bad. It's not worth it to allow you to do so legally when it leaves a trail of young people behind that will have better lives without it, whether they know it now or not. If that makes me "not cool", so be it.

ding ding ding ,,,,,,

we have a winner of best response to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from a former stoner....not an observer or dreamer

Old 10-20-2016, 03:29 PM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
When this thread started I was ready to vote Yes on 1. I have been persuaded by several arguments presented here to change my vote to No.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:57 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
...I feel legalizing it would make it more available to kids and young adults...
Don't be naive. Anyone who wants it is already getting it, just as they have been since *I* was a kid (and before). All we are doing is removing the criminal penalties for those over the age of consent.

It will still not be legal for kids to have it, just as it is not legal for them to have cigarettes and booze...but they will still get it and the others, just as they always have. *Nothing* is going to change that.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
In my youth I was an elected District Attorney in conservative Texas. Each DA's office has a limited amount of funds and I would have to decide case by case whether to fully pursue marijuana or violent crimes. It was an easy decision as violent offenders often repeat.

Some say well the (pot offenders) usually get probation -- but then probation officers who sometimes have huge caseloads have to decide -- do I want to make sure that pot smoker is in his home by 10Pm or the sex prowler.

I've followed this in Colorado. A Denver Post poll asked "Would you vote to legalize all over again?" The answer was a resounded YES. Another study determined young people were no more likely to use after it became legal. Perhaps the thrill of breaking the law is gone.

Colorado has had an economic boom. More money in the treasury, more visitors. I asked a pot shop if they had lots of out of state customers. They took me to a room with a pin map-- umm yes -mostly New Mexico but lots from Cal and Texas too. Maine would gain from other states nearby.

620,000 Americans were arrested in 2015--thats good job new for attorneys, police, probation officers, chemists, their staff but it sucks for the rest of us.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:23 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
I never thought that "former stoners" could be worse than "former smokers" (of cigarettes). But man was i wrong.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:25 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Don't be naive. Anyone who wants it is already getting it, just as they have been since *I* was a kid (and before). All we are doing is removing the criminal penalties for those over the age of consent.

It will still not be legal for kids to have it, just as it is not legal for them to have cigarettes and booze...but they will still get it and the others, just as they always have. *Nothing* is going to change that.
Exactly. NO MORE (amount of) kids are going to smoke pot because it's legal. What age do most "kids" start experimenting with liquor? 21? Not quite... more like the early teens. And it's NOT legal then.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:31 PM

217 posts, read 199,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Nothing naive about it. I fully realize kids will get it, just as I did and still can. The case you're making is nothing short of pretzel logic.

Put down the bong for a day, come back and try again. <<< Don't get twisted up, I'm just kidding there, just a little humor.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Exactly. NO MORE (amount of) kids are going to smoke pot because it's legal. What age do most "kids" start experimenting with liquor? 21? Not quite... more like the early teens. And it's NOT legal then.
Okay, Jellybean from NJ. You certainly have a right to your opinion just like me, but it's not fact. I'll count on my life experience to make my decision when I vote. You are free to do the same, of course. I might even be wrong about it and it could be that legalization will LESSEN the amount of young people smoking pot. I do NOT believe that to be the case though.

By the way, are you moving to Maine or Colorado or wherever else some ares trying to pass legalization laws? Is it coming in NJ too? I'm just curious about your interest in the voting in Maine.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 PM

By the way ( I know, again!), I would just like to state for the record that I have an older sister that's almost 65 yrs. old. She lives in California, was a hippy back in the day (still is I guess) and smokes pot with great regularity. As a matter of fact, she has a medical marijuana ID card and grows a lot of plants. She'd be first in line to vote yes on such a law. She's also a loser, never married, no children and hasn't done a damn thing with her life. She got so fat that she had to have one of those operations, now she looks like all drawn out, flabby skin and the California sun hasn't done her any favors either.

As a matter of fact, I'm 52 now and not one in my group of stoner friends from back in the day have achieved much. At least a few of their siblings sure have, but they weren't out smoking pot well into their 20's either. I used to like to come home after a hard day's labor, relax after dinner and smoke a bit "just to take the edge off". That's cool if that's what you want to do, I think nothing less of a person wanting to do that. But thinking back, there were so many other productive things I could've been doing besides vegging out in front of the tv stoned.

Say what you will, I think it's a dead-end street. I'm off my soapbox for good on this subject!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
Quote:
Nothing naive about it. I fully realize kids will get it, just as I did and still can. The case you're making is nothing short of pretzel logic.

Put down the bong for a day, come back and try again. <<< Don't get twisted up, I'm just kidding there, just a little humor.

Up the creek why not get more educated. I published the Denver Post study showing that since legalization use is NOT up among youth. Why not at least LOOK at it--instead of repeating the same thing again and again like a dumb animal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine