Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,672 times

Advertisements

Is there a large landfill near you? Many times those attract crows in large numbers.
Fun fact, they make interesting pets if you somehow came across a baby crow. They also have the ability to speak just like parrots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 02:20 PM

164 posts, read 138,217 times
Whistler tip bottle rockets, with or without report(will they explode or not) work very well with crows, they're very intelligent and social birds and once scared away will tell the other crows not to go to your area again.

Wear a mask though, they are able to communicate the description of your face and this could result in crows in your neighborhood dive bombing you.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
if the flock is that size.....keep doing what you are doing..

i feed some wild-life out in my yard,,,and the crows of course will come after it too..

i dont mind them as much now as i use too,,,kinda interesting watching them....(only 3-4)

years ago i would buy the fake owls to ward them away ...of course that didnt work,,,but interestingly enough,,,they do not like balloons with strings,,,,it freaks them out....

i drew faces on a balloon and it kept them away even when i was feeding other wild-life

Old 02-21-2017, 06:44 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Anyone else ever have to deal with a huge flock of Crows landing in trees around there house, I'm talking about 5 or 600 hundred maybe more.
Last night my house, garage, cars, street, and driveway was littered with thousands of poops, Not only poop, they managed to knock down hundreds of small branches and several very large ones .

They came back again tonight but my son and I have managed to scare them off using firecrackers and roman candles, gonna check again for them in an hour.
May have to stand watch all night.

This means War......

RR
what's going on the in the neighborhood that might attract so many crows, assuming the crows suddenly showed up?

we see them heading from landfills in evening to roost and towrd landfills in the early am.

which way do your crows travel?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I've seen huge, eerie murders in Lewiston. It seemed to go on for miles. This is called winter roosting. They'll travel up to 50 miles a day for a reliable food source and come back to roost together. Winter roosting typically happens in urban and suburban settings because of reliable food. They're courting now and will spread out to start building their nests in March and April. I've been hitting the panic button on my truck to disperse the mourning doves that insist on perching there. I guess now I'll be grateful it's a hundred small doves rather than 500 crows.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
what's going on the in the neighborhood that might attract so many crows, assuming the crows suddenly showed up?

we see them heading from landfills in evening to roost and towrd landfills in the early am.

which way do your crows travel?
This flock(Murder) is quite common in the lew/Aub area, they gather every winter, They seem to roost in various neighborhoods, and cause a horrible mess.

RR

Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 PM

71 posts, read 69,574 times
I suspect there is a food source nearby.

I recall a time when a single crow found something edible in my neighbors trash barrel. After it ripped the plastic bag open it began to "caw" and attract other crows. The other crows did the same calling as well. Within 30-45 minutes there were so many crows (appx. 200-300???) in the trees and on the nearbyfences that I would have had to think twice about going outside.

I looked around to see if Alfred Hitchcock was filming a remake of "The Birds".

Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 PM

565 posts, read 935,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intok View Post
Whistler tip bottle rockets, with or without report(will they explode or not) work very well with crows, they're very intelligent and social birds and once scared away will tell the other crows not to go to your area again.

Wear a mask though, they are able to communicate the description of your face and this could result in crows in your neighborhood dive bombing you.

Problem is, for some dumb reason bottle rockets are not legal here, even though reloadable mortars and roman candles are. The nearest closest state that has them is PA I believe.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Problem is, for some dumb reason bottle rockets are not legal here, even though reloadable mortars and roman candles are. The nearest closest state that has them is PA I believe.
I really don't get the bottle rocket ban, that being said the roman candles and fire crackers did the trick, the crows have not come back.

RR

Old 02-22-2017, 04:18 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBeachcomber View Post
I suspect there is a food source nearby.

I recall a time when a single crow found something edible in my neighbors trash barrel. After it ripped the plastic bag open it began to "caw" and attract other crows. The other crows did the same calling as well. Within 30-45 minutes there were so many crows (appx. 200-300???) in the trees and on the nearbyfences that I would have had to think twice about going outside.

I looked around to see if Alfred Hitchcock was filming a remake of "The Birds".

the few crows i have around my house...... somewhere along the line have learned...if they caw and attract other crows.....they wont eat as much or get bullied away,,,so they keep quiet...

they will also try to store some food for later,,

on one of the nature shows on crows,,,they said ...crows can remember up to 12 places of storing food for later.....

on one of the snowstorms i threw out some scraps...they got snowed over this was a different place than normal far from it.....and it was dark ..no crows around,,,the scraps got snowed over by a few inches.....

no other animals was going after it,,,then i saw two crows walk over and dig in the snow to these scraps.... no indentations in the snow...
they seem to know they were there ..... smart birds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine