Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,714,664 times

Advertisements

Now for something completely different.
Have you ever seen a UFO over Maine? Don't be shy!! I'll start off and you can all think I'm nuts first....it will make it easier for the rest of you!
Two summers ago around the fourth of July we were flying a big red white and blue kite for the fourth and had it tethered to a picnic table. As we were watching it my brother and I saw what looked like a silver ball up in the sky sitting still. It didn't move for over 10 minutes. We just sat there having a beer and wondering what it could be. Finally I went in the house for binoculars and when I came out naturally it was gone. My brother said he was watching it and it just blinked out! No big deal but it was quite odd to see something just sitting there in the sky not moving for so long.

How about you? It doesn't have to be a Maine sighting..Come On! You've been dying to tell someone anyway!

Last edited by Maineah; 03-17-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,276,673 times
There is a thread on this subject already, but that is okay. Interesting topic. When I was younger I was completely fascinated by the prospect of UFO's, but since I have been listening to Coast to Coast for about the past ten years I wish that they would go away (insert appropriate smiley).

I do love to hear the stories, though.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
There is a thread on this subject already, but that is okay. Interesting topic. When I was younger I was completely fascinated by the prospect of UFO's, but since I have been listening to Coast to Coast for about the past ten years I wish that they would go away (insert appropriate smiley).

I do love to hear the stories, though.
I guess I should have run a search on the subject before I started the thread... Sorry. Delete away Cornerguy if you want to!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 AM

474 posts, read 1,419,785 times
Don't worry about it Maineah! Some of us don't read any of the other post except for Maine!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,496,784 times
As a small child I saw one, and my parent did too. We lived in the country and I went out on the back porch to relieve myself. What I saw scared me so much that I couldn't talk, all I could do was just make noise. My mother heard me and came to see what was going on. There was this bright light, so bright in fact, that it seemed like daylight. Our chickens came out of the coop and the roosters started crowing, and even the cows started mooing for their "morning feed." The object was stationary, and it wasn't a weather balloon. We never saw any features of it, except for the light that came from it. It stayed around for about 10 minutes, then literally took off. We weren't the only people to see it. People in our community saw it and called the sheriff's department. The state had a forestry tower, and they saw it and called government offices. They scrambled jets from a nearby Air Force base and that was all we ever heard. Yes, I believe in them, no, I don't know what they are. If our government was tinkering around with stuff like that in the mid 50's I have never heard that anything of it. The UFO, or whatever it was, remained the topic of conversation in our area for many years.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,480,323 times
Okay, I passed on the last thread about UFO's, but now I'm ready to share.

25 yrs ago I lived out way in Bowdoin in the middle of the woods. My DH at the time and I were out on the back deck and noticed something very strange in the sky. It hovered for a long time very close to our house. Then it started moving south, towards Topsham. We were very intrigued and decided to follow it. We jumped in the truck and managed to follow it all the way up the Litchfield Rd towards Bowdoin Center and almost into Topsham before we lost sight of it. We still have no idea what it was, but it certainly was very, very interesting. In a spooky sort of way.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,980,011 times
I've never seen anything like a UFO or strange light in the sky, but ghosts, now that's an entirely different matter.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Okay, I passed on the last thread about UFO's, but now I'm ready to share.

25 yrs ago I lived out way in Bowdoin in the middle of the woods. My DH at the time and I were out on the back deck and noticed something very strange in the sky. It hovered for a long time very close to our house. Then it started moving south, towards Topsham. We were very intrigued and decided to follow it. We jumped in the truck and managed to follow it all the way up the Litchfield Rd towards Bowdoin Center and almost into Topsham before we lost sight of it. We still have no idea what it was, but it certainly was very, very interesting. In a spooky sort of way.
Cool story! Admit it you really feel better now that you shared that don't you?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
As a small child I saw one, and my parent did too. We lived in the country and I went out on the back porch to relieve myself. What I saw scared me so much that I couldn't talk, all I could do was just make noise. My mother heard me and came to see what was going on. There was this bright light, so bright in fact, that it seemed like daylight. Our chickens came out of the coop and the roosters started crowing, and even the cows started mooing for their "morning feed." The object was stationary, and it wasn't a weather balloon. We never saw any features of it, except for the light that came from it. It stayed around for about 10 minutes, then literally took off. We weren't the only people to see it. People in our community saw it and called the sheriff's department. The state had a forestry tower, and they saw it and called government offices. They scrambled jets from a nearby Air Force base and that was all we ever heard. Yes, I believe in them, no, I don't know what they are. If our government was tinkering around with stuff like that in the mid 50's I have never heard that anything of it. The UFO, or whatever it was, remained the topic of conversation in our area for many years.
Right out of close encounters! Did the police ever offer any ideas on what it was?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,496,784 times
No, in fact, even after the police came out looking for it, there was never a mention of it in any of our local news sources. One of our neighbors who was a sheriff said later that there was no paper trail on the incident. I know law enforcement always assigns an incident number to anything that they send a car out on, but we never heard anything from the officials. About 30 minutes after whatever it was left, we did hear the jets flying around for about an hour. We had coon hunters in the woods that night, and it made them so afraid that they left their dogs in the woods. If you know hunters, something spooked those guys pretty good because they went back the next day to get their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine