Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I know that this is not happening in Maine, though it may effect Maine a great deal.

Tifton agricultural researcher J.C. Bell [ who brought the world powdered peanut butter ] has made a discovery that could result in the production of 500 to 1,000 barrels of hydrocarbon fuel per day from the initial production facility. The hydrocarbon fuel — commonly known as oil or fossil fuel when drilled — will require no modification to automobiles, oil pipelines or refineries as they exist today and could forever end the United States’ dependence on foreign oil, he said.

Tifton Gazette - Researcher: Discovery could end energy crisis

Quote:
... Sources for bio-mass to be converted to hydrocarbon fuel are the forestry industry, pulp plants, agriculture and waste derived from the construction and demolition industry.

Quote:
... Bell said the original idea came from observing cows expel gas. “That is natural gas,” Bell said. “Cows release methane gas.” He said the gas is created by bacteria in the cow’s rumen or stomach. “These bacterial organisms are responsible for biological conversion of bio-mass into hydrocarbons,” he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
It didn't say in the article, but I wonder what the by-products might be? carbon diozide? ash? excessive heat? bio-engineered material that morphs into something dangerous and destructive?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Great article. Looks like good technology! I hope he gets all the support he needs!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
It didn't say in the article, but I wonder what the by-products might be? carbon diozide? ash? excessive heat? bio-engineered material that morphs into something dangerous and destructive?
If the by products were sunshine and daisys someone wouldn't like it.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 PM

182 posts, read 490,963 times
I think that every one of us here should start calling our politicians non stop and get one of those initial production facilities built here in Maine.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
I think that every one of us here should start calling our politicians non stop and get one of those initial production facilities built here in Maine.
Good idea!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I do find myself generally very concerned about genetic engineering.

I also find it interesting each time that our society's accepted school of science is challenged and found to be utterly wrong.

The accepted textbook thought includes that petroleum only comes from thousands of years, with high pressure and heat applied to rotted bio-mass. But now a scientist is looking at bacteria that make petroleum [which does allow for the idea that our petroleum fields were made by a bacteria and not thousands or years of high pressure and heat], and he is developing different bacteria which can produce higher volumes of such petroleum.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM

182 posts, read 490,963 times
I started emailing. Not only just because of prices these days but my god wouldn't it be nice to see all that OPEC financed terrorism dry right up.

Here a link to contact congressman Michaud.

Congressman Michaud (http://michaud.house.gov/article.asp?id=389 - broken link)

Last edited by bringselpup; 03-20-2008 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
Except that there is probably some law against it. Or soon will be.....

Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I also find it interesting each time that our society's accepted school of science is challenged and found to be utterly wrong.
The key word is society. Scientists understand that nothing is carved in stone and our (human beings) understanding of the workings of our world are open to constant revision. That is what separates Science from Faith. Only the common man accepts scientific evidence as absolute proof in the same way that Evangelicals believe in, well you know. Scientists themselves know that a scientific law today could be proven wrong in the future. In fact, a scientific theory must be falsifiable in order to be considered valid. Geologists and other earth scientists commonly believe that oil will not run out, or, it will always be able to replenish itself so long as there is organic material on this planet create it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine