Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times

Advertisements

This could well be a good gold year, but spring won't be the time. We have a pretty serious flood coming. All rivers will be dangerous and the water is going to be about 32 degrees until the snow is gone. The best time to go is around the third week pf August when the rivers are at their low point for the year. If you vacuum or pump the cracks in rocks ledge at the pools you'll have the best chance. People are using pressure washers now to blast out the cracks with 3,000 PSI water. Tomorrow's panners are going to have slim pickings. It will take a while for the pressure washer guys to get to all the good pools so now is the time for the traditional panners to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 AM

109 posts, read 198,921 times
Don't know how I missed this subject but a subject I am well versed in.
Corrections...
The specific gravity of water is 1.
Specific gravity of most gravels 3 to 5.
Specific gravity of lead is 9.
Specific gravity of gold is 19.6, more than twice the weight of lead when weighed in water!

Now that I have stuck my two cents in, is anyone prospecting this ummer with the price of gold up over $1200 per ounce?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
Don't know how I missed this subject but a subject I am well versed in.
Corrections...
The specific gravity of water is 1.
Specific gravity of most gravels 3 to 5.
Specific gravity of lead is 9.
Specific gravity of gold is 19.6, more than twice the weight of lead when weighed in water!

Now that I have stuck my two cents in, is anyone prospecting this ummer with the price of gold up over $1200 per ounce?
Way too dry. No runoff this spring. Dredging might be good.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 AM

109 posts, read 198,921 times
Speaking of gold in Maine, there will be a Gold & Treasure Show October 16 & 17 at the Cumberland fairgrounds, put on by the GPAA.
Anything and everything about gold, gem and treasure hunting (metal detecting) should be there. We have a few clubs coming from Ct - MA - NH and maybe VT and NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine