Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM

87 posts, read 79,278 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Something that has turned into a big factor in our choice to move to Maine is Cannabis legalization. We had never used it until 6 months or so ago but now both my wife and I are using it for pain, in the form of a low dose oil suspended in coconut oil that we mix into tea. With some experimentation, we have found a dosage for each of us that helps our pain without getting us high. My wife has endometriosis and I have sciatica, back issues and a chronic shoulder issue, more than likely rotator cuff damage.

I have used ibuprofen for many years in high doses- 800mg 3 to 4 times a day. My last GI appointment, the doctor told me it was killing me, so I stopped taking it, which caused many of my GI issues (pain, improper digestion, bleeding, etc) to mostly go away. Tylenol does little to help my pain, regardless the dose, and opioids get me high, which I hate being high or drunk, not in control of my faculties, as well as, for some reason, makes me severely suicidally depressed if I take it longer than 3 nights in a row. So far, cannabis has been my wonder drug- really helps with the pain with minimal high, no other side effects. It is quickly becoming indespensible and thus we must move to a state it is legal, such as Maine. We want out of California, even though it is legal here. We have looked at medical legal states, but would rather have recreational for a couple reasons- first, many medical states don't recognize our issues as cannabis necessary, and second, the Feds, DOJ/ DEA have made it clear that anyone with a medical card on record is a user of a controlled substance and thus cannot legally, federally, buy or own a firearm, which is ludicrous and I will not put myself into such a system anymore than I would risk growing or using the stuff in a state it is illegal.

Now, with that preface, some questions-

-legalization. I know it is legal for recreation in Maine, but it seems there are still many opponents, both in and out of government. Do any of you think legalization is likely to be repealed? It would be horrible to move to Maine with this as a major deciding factor, buy a home, settle in, and then it goes away.

-access. It seems legal dispensaries are not a around yet. Are there folks around that use the stuff that would be willing to sell or gift small amounts? I was planning on buying stuff here to take with us and use until we get set up in our house and can grow a plant or two to take care of ourselves, but then started researching and found if we got caught crossing state lines it could be a federal trafficking felony and I will not put my family or future at risk for such a thing. The double edge sword is not having the stuff when we get there, for probably a good 6-10 months or so it is going to take to find a home and close on it, set it up, move in, and grow our own. We don't need much but do need to find access to some somehow. The stuff we use now is about an oz or so suspended in a big quart mason jar of coconut oil and it lasts us about 3 months, taking it in the morning and night.

-social sentiment. Here in Cali, folks don't bat an eye much when we talk about using the stuff medicinally. Are people in Maine the same? We don't go around with weed shirts on or talk about it incessantly, but we are both open to discuss it and it's use with anyone. I feel it's a great solution to a lot of the synthetic compounds and medicines we use that cause significant side effects like I was having with ibuprofen.

Thanks for any info you can provide and have a great day!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:44 AM

87 posts, read 79,278 times
Ryan,
Thanks for the response! I have looked into kratom for our needs and I have a couple reasons to steer clear. First, my goal is to cultivate our own medication, and cannabis is much easier to grow than kratom. Second, I was prescribed both Norco and Vicodin for my pain and found that I got severely depressed with minimal use. Kratom being a drug that acts similar to opioids, I fear the same happening as with the other opioids I have been prescribed. I also found folks saying that it is a depressant for some people, so I'm thinking it may not be a good solution for us.

I'm glad it's working for you though! Just be careful- it's been in the news a lot lately for tainted or adulterated kratom getting people sick. Do your best to buy from a trusted source.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:35 AM

428 posts, read 554,036 times
As a non-user of cannabis, my experience is that usage is generally viewed as socially acceptable. Bear in mind that either medical or recreational use of cannabis prohibits you from legally purchasing firearms by federal law. In order to purchase firearms as a recreational user, you must furnish false information on the ATF Form 4473. This is a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Of possible interest....

Maine takes a big step toward retail marijuana sales — Politics — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

By Michael Shepherd, BDN Staff • April 10, 2018 12:23 pm

AUGUSTA, Maine — A supermajority of the Maine House of Representatives endorsed a regulatory bill for the state’s new recreational marijuana market Tuesday, bringing the state the closest it has been to implementing a 2016 legalization referendum.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:44 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
I am a firm believer in using what nature has provided us to treat and cure disease. What has been used for centuries and beyond feels safer than some drug approved last week by the FDA. Let's hope this is an economic benefit to the Maine economy.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
Hello all,

Something that has turned into a big factor in our choice to move to Maine is Cannabis legalization. We had never used it until 6 months or so ago but now both my wife and I are using it for pain, in the form of a low dose oil suspended in coconut oil that we mix into tea. With some experimentation, we have found a dosage for each of us that helps our pain without getting us high. My wife has endometriosis and I have sciatica, back issues and a chronic shoulder issue, more than likely rotator cuff damage.

I have used ibuprofen for many years in high doses- 800mg 3 to 4 times a day. My last GI appointment, the doctor told me it was killing me, so I stopped taking it, which caused many of my GI issues (pain, improper digestion, bleeding, etc) to mostly go away. Tylenol does little to help my pain, regardless the dose, and opioids get me high, which I hate being high or drunk, not in control of my faculties, as well as, for some reason, makes me severely suicidally depressed if I take it longer than 3 nights in a row. So far, cannabis has been my wonder drug- really helps with the pain with minimal high, no other side effects. It is quickly becoming indespensible and thus we must move to a state it is legal, such as Maine. We want out of California, even though it is legal here. We have looked at medical legal states, but would rather have recreational for a couple reasons- first, many medical states don't recognize our issues as cannabis necessary, and second, the Feds, DOJ/ DEA have made it clear that anyone with a medical card on record is a user of a controlled substance and thus cannot legally, federally, buy or own a firearm, which is ludicrous and I will not put myself into such a system anymore than I would risk growing or using the stuff in a state it is illegal.
I am sorry to hear about your medical afflictions. I pray that you can get better.

I voted for medical cannabis, never thinking that I would be eligible for it. After all, I did not have cancer.

But then, I got cancer. I went through the surgery, and I was cancer-free for 4 years. Now my cancer has came back, and I am going through radiation treatments, 5 days a week for 9 weeks. I am not in any pain, yet. But they say I will be.

I am glad that we made medical cannabis legal.

Quote:
... I know it is legal for recreation in Maine, but it seems there are still many opponents, both in and out of government. Do any of you think legalization is likely to be repealed? It would be horrible to move to Maine with this as a major deciding factor, buy a home, settle in, and then it goes away.
Our culture is going through changes. Too quickly perhaps. There were things that were illegal when I was kid, heck I served as Military Police and there were laws that I enforced, that today is legal. Not just legal, but if anyone discriminates they are now breaking the law. I can understand why people may not want these changes to be happening so fast.

It is not going to be repealed.

Quote:
... -access. It seems legal dispensaries are not a around yet. Are there folks around that use the stuff that would be willing to sell or gift small amounts?
Towns do not want to give any permits, they want to wait until the state legislature settles on the new laws. People are growing, but recreational retail is not happening, yet.

Banks are still fighting it though. I used a CC to pay for a medical appointment at a clinic, and my bank shutoff my CC. The banks are forcing this to be a cash-only economy.

Quote:
... I was planning on buying stuff here to take with us and use until we get set up in our house and can grow a plant or two to take care of ourselves, but then started researching and found if we got caught crossing state lines it could be a federal trafficking felony and I will not put my family or future at risk for such a thing. The double edge sword is not having the stuff when we get there, for probably a good 6-10 months or so it is going to take to find a home and close on it, set it up, move in, and grow our own. We don't need much but do need to find access to some somehow. The stuff we use now is about an oz or so suspended in a big quart mason jar of coconut oil and it lasts us about 3 months, taking it in the morning and night.
You can buy medicine here locally. There are dispensaries.

One slight problem though. Dispensaries may be joined at the hip to specific clinics. To go into a dispensary, you need a medical card issued from their sister clinic. A California medical card is 'legal' but dispensaries here might not honor it.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:31 AM

565 posts, read 935,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am sorry to hear about your medical afflictions. I pray that you can get better.

I voted for medical cannabis, never thinking that I would be eligible for it. After all, I did not have cancer.

But then, I got cancer. I went through the surgery, and I was cancer-free for 4 years. Now my cancer has came back, and I am going through radiation treatments, 5 days a week for 9 weeks. I am not in any pain, yet. But they say I will be.

I am glad that we made medical cannabis legal.

Our culture is going through changes. Too quickly perhaps. There were things that were illegal when I was kid, heck I served as Military Police and there were laws that I enforced, that today is legal. Not just legal, but if anyone discriminates they are now breaking the law. I can understand why people may not want these changes to be happening so fast.

It is not going to be repealed.

Towns do not want to give any permits, they want to wait until the state legislature settles on the new laws. People are growing, but recreational retail is not happening, yet.

Banks are still fighting it though. I used a CC to pay for a medical appointment at a clinic, and my bank shutoff my CC. The banks are forcing this to be a cash-only economy.

You can buy medicine here locally. There are dispensaries.

One slight problem though. Dispensaries may be joined at the hip to specific clinics. To go into a dispensary, you need a medical card issued from their sister clinic. A California medical card is 'legal' but dispensaries here might not honor it.
Medical cannabis has a chance of being removed/merged with recreational cannabis.

So while they won't repeal recreational cannabis, they very well might get rid of the medical program.

Also, the last part you mentioned is not accurate. As long as you have a recommendation from a ME physician you can go to any medical dispensary, however you have to bring your designation card and give it to them. So as of right now you can't go to multiple dispensaries for a variety without being in a gray area of the law. This is in the process of being changed.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:50 AM

337 posts, read 429,763 times
Hi All. I don't care what other people do with their lives especially when it comes to drugs. My wife and I and our family have never used them nor would we. That being said, when people are under the influence of drugs bad things usually happen and that's when they encroach on my life. The State ends up having to help them, too, and once again they become a burden. Not all, of course, but enough to say that legalizing pot doesn't have much of an upside for Maine imho. Also,medical pot is taken as a pill. It is NOT smoked. So, those who say it's for their health are lying to themselves. This country has spent billions of dollars to turn generations away from smoking plain cigarettes for goodness sakes. Now we want to encourage smoking pot instead? There is no logic to that thinking. But all that aside, I found one excellent source for why legalizing pot is a bad thing. I would ask for you to watch this short "TED TALK" by someone who will supply you with knowledge on which you might be able to make an informed decision.

https://youtu.be/SmqtPaMMVuY

Rome

Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM

319 posts, read 346,390 times
I think you will find it is quite accepted here in Maine. There are medical dispensaries in every town I go to within 30 miles of me (Midcoast area) and they are very well marked. People here are fairly private about using it (they aren't in the streets smoking it publicly like they do in Seattle or SF) but you can see by how many mj establishments there are that it is everywhere. It is unfortunate that the state legalized it but has not been able to benefit from it financially yet as it seems this state could use the money for services, but that is where we are. Last I read it will be at least 2020 here until there are recreational sales stores. I believe Massachusetts is set to begin recreational sales this July.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:38 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Hi All. I don't care what other people do with their lives especially when it comes to drugs. My wife and I and our family have never used them nor would we. That being said, when people are under the influence of drugs bad things usually happen and that's when they encroach on my life.
I think, maybe you are talking about some other topic.

Without any marijuana involved, a 'bad thing' happened to me, I came down with cancer.

Now as I am going through with radiation treatments, I am preparing to begin using marijuana to help me through this course of treatment.

And you think that this will 'encroach' on your life somehow? I am so sorry that you feel my cancer might encroach on your life.

Quote:
... The State ends up having to help them, too, and once again they become a burden.
Well, the state did allow a 'cancer center' to be built in Brewer, a bunch of people are employed there. Is that a burden on the state too?

I am fully insured by the US Navy. My medical expenses are covered.

Quote:
... Not all, of course, but enough to say that legalizing pot doesn't have much of an upside for Maine imho.
Except for the economy. This is driving a big economy already. A much bigger economy soon.

Quote:
... Also,medical pot is taken as a pill. It is NOT smoked.
You are mistaken.

CBDs can be manufactured into a pill, or candy, or an oil, or salve.

Or it can be smoked. I have a 'vape' pen, it heats the stuff to give off the volatile oil without actually burning anything.

Quote:
... So, those who say it's for their health are lying to themselves. This country has spent billions of dollars to turn generations away from smoking plain cigarettes for goodness sakes. Now we want to encourage smoking pot instead? There is no logic to that thinking.
There are a lot of sick people who have been relying on it to help them.

Quote:
... But all that aside, I found one excellent source for why legalizing pot is a bad thing. I would ask for you to watch this short "TED TALK" by someone who will supply you with knowledge on which you might be able to make an informed decision.

https://youtu.be/SmqtPaMMVuY

Rome
I suspect that this TED talk speaks more to your political bias than to any shared reality.

Marijuana prohibition was driven largely by Harry J. Anslinger, Commissioner of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Narcotics.

Here are some quotes from Harry J. Anslinger, Commissioner of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Narcotics:

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

"the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

That was the politics of the era when marijuana prohibition began. There was no science behind it, no research, no real data. It was all about racism.

Last edited by Submariner; 04-13-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine