Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 08:07 PM

50 posts, read 37,717 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

My husband and I are planning a long week-end trip in early November. I always wanted to visit the coast of Maine. Any suggestions for a small, quaint, quintessential New England coastal town to stay in Maine? I was doing some research and Camden seemed like a good fit. What is it like in later fall up there? My dad is a native of Vermont so I am very familiar with the cold, blustery and wet weather. It wouldn't bother me.

Besides Camden, any other towns? Also, we would be flying up from Cleveland. What airports are near-by?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 05:57 AM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times
My two favorite towns on the Maine coast are Camden and Southwest Harbor. Both have a beautiful harbor and beautiful nature nearby including low mountains and clear rocky-bottomed lakes, some tourist infrastructure and things to do downtown, and other interesting places within half an hour if you have extra time. They also have plenty of forest around to see fall colors in, although by early November the leaves will be mostly brown. Weather shouldn't be too bad tho. I was in Camden/Rockport early last November and on sunny days I could get away with just wearing a fleece pullover.

The bigger airports to fly in to would be in Bangor to see Southwest Harbor and in Portland to see Camden. There are are small regional airports with commercial service that will get you in closer, but the flights may pricey there? - it's Hancock-Bar Harbor (BHB) in Trenton for Southwest Harbor, and Knox County Regional (RKD) in Owls Head for Camden.

P.S. One thing - "the beach" in Maine, once you get up north of Portland, is mostly rocky with forest that grows right up to the water. I find it prettier than the sandy beach/dunes further south.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-23-2018 at 06:27 AM..

Old 09-23-2018, 09:46 AM

50 posts, read 37,717 times
Thank you. By chance, are there are coastal towns closer than Camden to Portland? We would be flying in and it would still be an 80mile drive from that airport.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
I like pemaquid beach …..it is sandy and about an hour north of Portland …

also close by is pemaquid lighthouse- you can drive right to it and walk on the rocks …..with waves crashing the ocean is right in front of you

even if the beach is "closed" (entrance) you can walk down a short path to walk the beach ..

south Bristol and boothbay harbor are right nearby ...small beautiful little fishing communities ...great ocean views..

if you like small towns with main streets Damariscotta has one.....and is on the way to pemaquid (off rte one)

a short video of pemaquid beach I found on youtube…..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHj5JZi0DGM

pemaquid lighthouse just a few miles from the beach - you can drive right to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSuWQLt-HA

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 09-24-2018 at 04:29 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 AM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times
If drive time is a concern, I'd actually check the flight prices online on a flight to BHB and RKD, as either one would put you very close to Southwest Harbor or Camden. But if those are expensive, I like mainebrokerman's suggestion to check out Damariscotta and South Bristol... or Boothbay Harbor... those are also really nice places, and closer to Portland.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,893,375 times
I like lots of coastal towns. airports: PWM, BGR, BHB... when in Portland, visit Portland Head Light, Drive south to Old Orchard, York Beach to see Nubble Lighthouse. ...north to Freeport, Ogunquit, Pemaquid Point beach and lighthouse, Camden is nice too. ... Bucksport, Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor, etc., Bass Harbor Lighthouse, Acadia National Park ...

Imo, if you were planning a fall trip, you should have visited within the first ten days of October for peak foliage on the coast. Leaves are falling fast. Rent a car and drive along the coast on Route 1. It'll be an adventure you'll never forget.

If you're only coming for a long weekend, use google or google Earth to help you decide where to visit or just drive around once you arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine