Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 10:06 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times

Advertisements

The notion that people in Maine are unfriendly to outsiders is somewhat true, it applies to the people from away who try to make their new town just like the one they left. People who say “In (your state here) we did it this way”

This is no different than any other place in the US, it’s like that where I live now, it’s like that in the deep south, so it’s not something exclusive to Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 10:55 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookn4ahome8 View Post
Hey folks. First post here.
Welcome to Maine.

Quote:
... Since my husband is retired we are thinking of moving to Maine because it's beautiful and we like cold weather, and we don't need jobs. We do have lots of children, 6. Living all over the country I have found different areas take large families differently. There is the old stereotype of Mainers disliking people moving in from out of state. How true is that?
We moved to Maine after I retired. We have been here since 2005.

The 'disliking' of folks from away that we have seen, has been entirely on-line. Like on this forum. As far as In-Real-Life we have not experienced it.

Quote:
... We just want to keep to ourselves, grow some flowers, walk quietly, go birding, quietly smile and nod at folks. We are a family of book reading. garden and nature loving introverts. We all love being polite, but are not politically active in any communities we have lived in and don't plan on it. May I please ask how Mainers would take a big family moving to their state?
It sounds to me as you would fit in well. I do not think you would have any issues as compared to moving anywhere else.

Quote:
... We are planning to stay on the coast. I am not looking for folks to be inviting me to their home, and don't want to get in anyone's business, but would hate to move to a state and be a bother to folks. In some states our family receives smiles along with the wide eyed stares, but in other state we get out right scorn. We aren't openly religious, or anything like that, we just love children and the comfort of a big family. So...houses are looking pretty in Maine, but if we'd be a big freak show that people would not want as their neighbors our next choice is Wisconsin. Thank you in advance. Hope everyone is having a lovely spring.
I recommend: Find an area that you like and rent a house. Once you are settled then you can really explore the rest of Maine and decide on exactly which community you want to buy a home in. Use your first year to play tourist.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookn4ahome8 View Post
I am sorry, I don't know how to reply specifically to each comment yet. Thank you all so much again for commenting! And, I apologize for being so ignorant in my posting.

There was a comment on fishing and hunting, I don't see that now, but yes, we do like fishing. We've never been hunting, have not had the time, but my family hunts and we are learning. Even if we did not do something ourselves, we don't oppose other people who do.

Fooey, agreed you can get a very nice house in Maine for a better price than other places. I am from the mid-Atlantic but have lived all over the USA. I have never had a neighbor dislike us. My kids and I shovel out our neighbors, we mowe the grass for neighbors who need help doing so, make meals for sick neighbors/neighbors who just had a baby, we don't have parties, and are quiet. We like helping others, but like to mind our own business and don't really like being social as in going to dinner or out on the town.

I have just heard the old rumors that people in Maine do not like outsiders coming to move to their state, and we are a whole lotta outsiders. My sis-in-law is from Maine, she says she doesn't want to extensively talk about it but she thinks people from Maine do not like people moving in from out of state and that Mainers have attitude. Then again, I've met a gal at a farmer's market who grew up in Maine and says that Maine is incredibly friendly and welcoming.

In states I have lived in sometimes locals care and notice when outsiders move in, other states they could care less. Even in the less populated areas of Maryland I'd say a person moving in from out of state would be looked upon as interesting if anyone even noticed, most people don't care about that in MD, there is not a Maryland identity. In SoCal there are so many people from all over no one would notice or care where the hell anyone is from, again there isn't a Californians vs. everyone else mentality. In the PNW there was a growing anger over people moving in from out of state, it's pretty popular for "native" Oregonians, Idahoans, Washingtonites to say that mainly Californians are moving to their state and taking over. In rural WV, like Appalachia rural, they for sure notice when a new person moves in and can be suspicious or hostile, but in more populated areas of WV no one would notice. I did find in TN that areas with Christian Colleges can be kind of annoyed at outsiders moving in, and I think that's because they are tired of being evangelized by thousands of college kids, haha. All this is mho, please take it with a grain of salt.
This is a link to the local news station in Portland to watch what is happening if you weren't already.
https://www.newscentermaine.com/

I lived in Maine for 14 years and was run out when the economy turned in 2008. "We do things with a handshake and a look in the eye up here" until the economy dives and its every man for himself. Different than helping your neighbor when the power is out.

Your Sister-in-law I think is more accurate. If Maine is as good as they say why do they have a stagnant and aging population. I have had total strangers stare you down from across the room for no reason at all. The person checking you out at the local convenience store, give you a blank stare to your face. I loved the local store over big box stores but you weren't welcome at some.

Some people just hate kids. I had what I thought was a friend that would point out people and talk about all the things wrong with them from across the room. I realized him and his wife are the people that would stare at me.

I had hunters get mad at me because I didn't want them hunting on my 4.5 acres where the kids, dog and cats roamed freely. I liked watching the wildlife at sunrise while having coffee on the deck and watched them eat the apple tree. I never put up Posted signs because we were in a neighborhood with 1-2 acre lots.

I never moved to Maine to change anything but was falsely accused of having an agenda. I put up with a lot of ..... stuff and was patient but it only takes one person to spread rumors about you to ostracize you, Maine the largest small town in America.

I still have land there and some good friends that understood what I went through so I may become a snow bird. I will just know what I am in for and stay along I-95 and the coast primarily south of Brunswick.

So feel it out and see if it fits you but know all the rumors have some truth to them. It all depends on someones perspective of what they want out of life.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
... If Maine is as good as they say why do they have a stagnant and aging population.
Maine has the oldest average age of all states.

Maine has the highest percentage of retirees.

Every year the BDN runs articles from data-mining the US Census, about how young adults leave Maine seeking high-paying jobs, AND retirees migrate back to Maine for their retirements.

Maine is NOT the place to go for a young adult to earn a high wage. Clearly.

My own sons left Maine, seeking their careers. I get it.

On the other hand, once you get a pension and start looking at places where you can go to thrive on your pension. Maine is not a bad choice.

I am from California and I have been living in Maine for 14 years.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:27 PM

774 posts, read 745,443 times
Your husband just retired from the military. You have six kids living at home. You don't think you'll need to worry about jobs? There is no military pension that will support a family of 8.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 6,441 times
Thank you, everyone! SSpistol, I am a fantastical finance wizard, but thank you for the concern.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Your husband just retired from the military. You have six kids living at home. You don't think you'll need to worry about jobs? There is no military pension that will support a family of 8.
I retired as an E6. When I retired we had one bio-son living at home, one adopted-son living at home, and we had three foster-children living with us. Five children and us, made seven mouths to feed on my pension.

It is a whole lot easier to support a family on a military pension here in Maine than it would be in California [ie, my home state].

Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 PM

8 posts, read 6,441 times
Thanks for your service, Submariner! Yea, Cali is pricey!

Old 05-10-2019, 06:25 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I live in Massachusetts and have often fantasized about buying a few acres of land up in Maine, for hunting/fishing/getaway. I guess in any rural part of the country, you have to deal with some hostility to outsiders though probably it'll go better if you buy locally, tip generously, respect their hunting traditions, and generally don't rock the boat, at least for the first twenty years or so

Old 05-10-2019, 10:04 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
Treat people how you want to be treated. If you like it in Maine, move there-the hades what anyone else says. The individual posting about Bar Harbor was really posting about New York and Boston because that is who goes there. By that I mean it has a transient population. You want to know about Maine people? Go to Allagash, Lincoln, Waterville, Hallowell, Jonesport. Stay away from tourist traps. Get a Maine Atlas and Close your eyes and plunk a finger down. I cannot imagined Maine people not welcoming someone who dedicated their life to serving our nation.I agree with the poster who stated that people who make comments about the size of your family are trying to be comedic. I have wasted a great deal of my life in days gone by wondering what others may think of me. I choose not to live that way today. I live my life for my family and let the chips fall where they may. My wife has an accent and people joke and try and mimic her accent (never in Maine) and ask her where she got it. She now exclaims “here”, I never had one at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine