Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 02:07 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

The story about the girl seems strange ... why not just work in a hotel, motel, cabins in or very near Bar Harbor. I see no reason to need to commute from Bar Harbor to Bucksport to work in a hotel. There are motels/hotels in Bar Harbor, other places on MDI, Trenton, Ellsworth...

While in some states, minimum wage is $7.25/hour, Maine's is considerably higher. According to the following website, Maine's minimum wage will be $12/hr effective January 1, 2020. Be sure to scroll down. http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...age-chart.aspx

During the summer tourist season, many places pay above Maine's minimum wage in an effort to be able to hire needed workers. One example is Walmart who advertised $14/hour during the summer months.

These are what might be described as entry-level, seasonal jobs for entry-level pay. For advancement and higher pay, become more skilled, get more education.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-01-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
What?? But its supposed to be Dark Shadows!!

Old 10-31-2019, 04:30 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
What do you mean by "That's the real reason they can't find workers."? The story about the girl seems strange ... why not just work in a hotel, motel, cabins in or very near Bar Harbor. I see no reason to need to commute from Bar Harbor to Bucksport to work in a hotel. There are motels/hotels in Bar Harbor, other places on MDI, Trenton, Ellsworth...

While in some states, minimum wage is $7.25/hour, Maine's is considerably higher. According to the following website, Maine's minimum wage will be $12/hr effective January 1, 2020. Be sure to scroll down. State Minimum Wages | 2019 Minimum Wage by State

During the summer tourist season, many places pay above Maine's minimum wage in an effort to be able to hire needed workers. One example is Walmart who advertised $14/hour during the summer months.

These are what might be described as entry-level, seasonal jobs for entry-level pay. For advancement and higher pay, become more skilled, get more education.
Maine should raise the minimum wage specifically in Hancock County to $30-$35/hr. Why not? The people from NJ, NY or CT are going to keep coming to Acadia National Park regardless. These tourists are putting pressure on Maine's infrastructure and culture. Charge them the absolute maximum the hospitality market will bear. Make them pay for the problems they bring to the area.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:48 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
A question comes to my mind. Do the same rules apply to river frontage as to ocean frontage?
the commercial debate is or was on tidal oceanfront...

when some wealthy out of staters ……. that are buying million dollar waterfront properties...….and some don't like or want the clammers/fishermen/waterfowl hunters/ in front of their properties (between low tide and high tide mark. )

years ago when I first heard this debate I immediately thought you rich selfish dicks...…
but
there's something going on today that maybe wasn't an issue (as much) yrs ago

my father is a lobsterman that lives on the coast and he has brought up "things are missing" when more and more clammers are around...and one so called clammer was caught ...and he wasn't even a clammer…..just someone posing as a clammer...to get close access to spec...things out.. much like many panhandlers aren't even from maine …

so with drug use undercurrents in some areas......more will try or risk ...what they wouldn't have years ago.... so I don't blame some of the home-owners...oceanfront owners..

also as kiwi mentioned is people cannot respect the land or use of land.... (if they litter and such)
then they don't deserve the priviledge of use..

different world today ...sadly.... 25 yrs ago if someone walked close or on some parts of your land to go fishing or clamming....you might wave at them and wish them well......today … if the fisherman or clammer doesn't approach the land owner and ask permission ...there's more suspicion

I once came home and im on a lake and there were 2 Asplundh trucks out front of my driveway ...and two guys were on my dock fishing...….and when I approached....I saw another guy around my deck..... … I immediately went into get the hell away from here mode......and the guy said...hey you don't own the lake....I said no but you are on my private property and I will call the numbers on the side of your truck if you don't leave...

ive also had a few fathers and sons knock on my door and ask if its ok to fish out front of my house....and walk across my land...I said not at all good luck..

Old 11-05-2019, 08:42 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Maine should raise the minimum wage specifically in Hancock County to $30-$35/hr. Why not? The people from NJ, NY or CT are going to keep coming to Acadia National Park regardless. These tourists are putting pressure on Maine's infrastructure and culture. Charge them the absolute maximum the hospitality market will bear. Make them pay for the problems they bring to the area.
That would be fine. But you seem to forget that there are actually other people who actually live here, and would have to pay the increased prices for THAT!

Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
That would be fine. But you seem to forget that there are actually other people who actually live here, and would have to pay the increased prices for THAT!
If Maine raised the minimum wage to $30/hr, the Cost-of-Living in Maine would soar.

I would no longer be able to afford to live here on my pension.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:43 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
True dat. But there's got to be a balance. Home Depot now has a sign in the front window on Stillwater "Now Hiring 16 and 17 year olds." I have to wonder what the plan is there. I couldn't stand around on concrete floors all day any more. I'm miserable after a few hours of butchering in the garage.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 19,137 times
Interesting replies everyone.

I have decided to give it a try and hike on private property, even if it is against my principles.
I guess I need to keep an open mind and expand my horizons.
If it is not posted, I´ll be there. I plan to do the entire coast over the next two years.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:48 AM

48 posts, read 88,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Hold on.

You are assuming that 'private property' means the public has no access.

If you follow the local news, every year there are court cases where land owners want to prohibit the public from accessing their beach property.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/doc...s-in-maine.pdf

I own riverfrontage land. I can not restrict public access to the river bank on my privately owned land.
Interesting.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:30 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I grew up in a fishing village on the coast
And remember many small ( tiny) islands we would stop and explore
No houses on

I’m sure if someone kayaks or boats along the coast there are
Many many small islands and coves and inlets
If someone wanted to use

But don’t expect these places to have welcome signs on them
Also. Many private property areas are now posted because
Of litter and not respecting the land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine