Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 02:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times

Advertisements

Nationwide, home prices are crazy! Was looking in a few places along the Maine coast. Just as expensive as it is here on LI, NY. However, property taxes are much less in Maine.

Rates at historic lows again. 2.85-3% for 30 year fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 05:03 PM

20 posts, read 24,029 times
That sucks. I was looking at Canada coastal areas and it seems pretty bad there too. I'm guessing that means it's expensive even 30 min away from the coast...

Old 07-26-2020, 04:04 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Millions of people are moving out of large cities for obvious reasons, this will drive up home prices almost everywhere that city dwellers find desirable.
NYers seem to think Maine is a safe place to ride out pandemics, violent thugs, and looters. Lets just hope they don't bring the same voting habits here that ruined the cities.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:30 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Closing on on our new home in Searsmont......2.85%. Can't believe it, really.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:17 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Nationwide, home prices are crazy! Was looking in a few places along the Maine coast. Just as expensive as it is here on LI, NY. However, property taxes are much less in Maine.

Rates at historic lows again. 2.85-3% for 30 year fixed.
I don't know Long Island real estate, but the Maine coast is *much* more reasonable than the north coast of Massachusetts.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:46 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Millions of people are moving out of large cities for obvious reasons, this will drive up home prices almost everywhere that city dwellers find desirable.
NYers seem to think Maine is a safe place to ride out pandemics, violent thugs, and looters. Lets just hope they don't bring the same voting habits here that ruined the cities.
Many New Yorkers are running to Westchester county. My home's value rose by 10% in three months. I would guess your LI home has risen in value too.

I hope the New Yorkers coming to Maine don't bring their voting habits too. OTOH, many Westchester residents are buying guns for the first time. They maybe seeing the light.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:52 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
The real estate market is on fire

I look at listings in the area last light and most were
Pending

The house next to me was on the market for 3 days and sold more than
Listed

You would think with the viral apocalypse ... people would be scared of buying
But interest rates are very low

Also the conspiracists are saying the government is spending so many trillions
And more and more businesses are closing
So buy now before the dollar gets devalued
Significantly

Also
Maybe we are seeing the city folks saying they are getting out of the rat race of the big cities
The coldness deterrence isn’t so bad and ... more and more people have and can still work from home ...

Old 07-27-2020, 12:53 PM

596 posts, read 817,834 times
As more companies are letting people go remote indefinitely, there's less of a reason to live in a city and pay those high prices.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:42 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
As more companies are letting people go remote indefinitely, there's less of a reason to live in a city and pay those high prices.
No permanent changes for us yet, but I have heard that the powers that be have been kicking around ideas. Apparently, so far (since early March when all but lab scientists were told to work from home), the feeling has been that communications have still been effective and the staff has remained productive in working from home, and that's over 4 months now. With rents being very expensive at our site in Cambridge, MA, there have been some "blue sky" discussions on downsizing the office or moving and downsizing the office and allowing more people to work from home indefinitely. It would save a good deal of money in annual facilities costs.

Still no decisions yet though, and even if they allow many people to work from home, I don't know if they'd approve of many people moving to homes far enough away that it's difficult for people to come in at all. These decisions are above my pay grade, but I await with keen interest the outcome of such discussions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: