Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 10:47 PM

22 posts, read 31,380 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at property on Cutler Rd. on Little Machias Bay. Affordable waterfront lots of this size in my price range are... rare, and I'm guessing it's because of the stunning view of Cutler Naval Station towers.

Guessing the star-gazing is limited, and the daylight views aren't exactly pristine either, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Little Machias Bay looks pretty wide open, does it get hit pretty hard by winter weather?

I'm just wondering if I'd be sacrificing all the things I love about being on the water with this particular lot. It's a long way away to go to investigate it myself, so feed back before I arrange a trip would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 09:58 AM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
The US Navy left Cutler years ago. The entire base was turned over to MWR, the power plant, transmitters and antenna farm were all contracted out to a private corporation.

I served 20+ years on US Navy submarines, during my career Cutler [call sign NAA] was a primary source of our communications. After I retired and came to Maine, Cutler was the primary thing that I wanted to see while in Maine. But it is mostly just barren coastal landscape with a huge antenna farm.

If you were to live there for the next 20 years I doubt you would ever have any actual contact with the Navy.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The US Navy left Cutler years ago. The entire base was turned over to MWR, the power plant, transmitters and antenna farm were all contracted out to a private corporation.

I served 20+ years on US Navy submarines, during my career Cutler [call sign NAA] was a primary source of our communications. After I retired and came to Maine, Cutler was the primary thing that I wanted to see while in Maine. But it is mostly just barren coastal landscape with a huge antenna farm.

If you were to live there for the next 20 years I doubt you would ever have any actual contact with the Navy.
I'm in my mid-thirties so, yeah, looking at somewhere to put down roots for 20+ years. I have an interest in farming and run a small market garden and niche poultry farm down here now, but I have experience doing the same in Alaska so I hope I can learn to work it there. I wonder if Machias/Cutler is a good market for such things.

I also wonder if the open southern exposure on the north side of Little Machias Bay will blast me off the ground and murder any greenhouses I try to erect or perennial crops I try to put in. Probably not realistically good for much more than hay or blueberries.

Good to hear the base is quiet now, I guess.

I hear clamming is good out in L. Machias Bay? I love that it's close to "Bold Coast" hiking and activities. Maybe I could learn to love the view. This VLF radio tech is actually pretty interesting now that I've read a little more.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-03-2021, 01:56 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
I don't think youll be happy there.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:36 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaikuHeritageFarm View Post
I'm in my mid-thirties so, yeah, looking at somewhere to put down roots for 20+ years. I have an interest in farming and run a small market garden and niche poultry farm down here now, but I have experience doing the same in Alaska so I hope I can learn to work it there. I wonder if Machias/Cutler is a good market for such things.
A business plan will pull you through the research that will provide the answers to your questions.

Quote:
I also wonder if the open southern exposure on the north side of Little Machias Bay will blast me off the ground and murder any greenhouses I try to erect or perennial crops I try to put in. Probably not realistically good for much more than hay or blueberries.
My high tunnels don't flinch in blizzards and nor'easters. You'll need heavy steel, strong hip boards and cross ties, and to sink the ribs into the ground.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:30 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I don't think youll be happy there.
That’s not very useful unless you say WHY?

Old 01-04-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
That’s not very useful unless you say WHY?
Well... since you asked

It seems to me he or she is trying to talk himself/herself into liking the property or settling for the property because it's in his/her price range.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:48 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
When I came to Maine shopping for land to buy, every Mr. Haney [realtor] I met insisted that I wanted to live in a 'Ticky-Tack' sub-division with well-manicured lawns and tiny backyards, and a price tags at least 10X more than what I was prepared to spend. I exhausted myself trying to explain that I wanted remote bare land preferably with dense woods.

Some people insist that they know better what you want, even when you are hiring them to find something specific.

Maybe it was because I am originally from California, so they had some specific image in their minds of what I wanted, regardless of what words came from my mouth.

'HaikuHeritageFarm' appears to be from Hernando, MS. I see no reason to hold that against them.

What caught my attention was the OP mentioned "the stunning view of Cutler".

I am a little confused by the reference that star-gazing would be limited. Since there are no big cities to light up the night sky in that area. I was hoping that in further conversation we could all learn why the OP feels star-gazing would be limited in Cutler.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:02 PM

Submariner

I too wondered about the comments "the stunning view of Cutler" as well as "star gazing would be limited." I too would like to know more about what prompted those comments.

I really don't care where they're from. I don't think trying to talk oneself into buying something just because it's in your price range is a good idea. That would be similar to you talking yourself into a ticky tack subdivision that cost 10x more when you wanted bare land and woods. In the OPs post i got the impression he would prefer something away from the former Navy base view but due to price range issues, settling for was a consideration--kind of opposite your experience. (Location location location) You got what you wanted for 10x less money than what you would have paid for something you didn't want anyway.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:40 PM

Actually, if we put my comments fully in context, I facetiously mentioned a "stunning view of Cutler Naval Station towers", not Cutler (the town) itself. The property I'm looking at is directly across Little Machias from the station, ergo the view of the towers would dominate the landscape that I gazed upon each day. The towers are clearly visible in the daylight photos of the property that I have, and a quick Google search reveals many other photos including night views where the extremely prominent towers are lit up like multiple Christmas trees the size of the Eiffel tower. (As I understand it, each is actually rather comparable in size to that monument?) I've seen other night photos from the Cutler Coast around the bend where the towers are not directly visible, but their red glow is. Perhaps the ISO settings on these are exaggerating how visible the lights are?

And yes, I was born and raised in the Mid-South in and around Memphis, TN, but spent most of my adult life between Alaska and Mexico and points... elsewhere. I only returned here a year and half ago or so and have not been happy with the heat, with the outdoors culture, with the sweet suburban nightmare I find myself in. I have lots of reference points to know what circumstances work for me and what doesn't, and I think Maine suits. I thought seriously about returning to Alaska to settle, but there are distinct benefits to remaining in the continental US, so I'll take remote, coastal, and northerly as the closest match. I actually believe a community like this would be very comfortable for me. I'm the sort that keeps to myself mostly, but I am fiercely loyal to a tight-knit community where it exists and I appreciate folks that are similar. Just looking for somewhere with lots of outdoor activities to keep me busy year-round (hunting, fishing, hiking, boating, snowmachining, x-country skiing, etc), enough room for some gardens, greenhouses, chickens and goats, and a spot on the water as that's where I feel my best.

I do work remotely online, a quick search suggested there was decent internet options on Cutler Rd. I hope that's accurate?

In my relatively low price range, there are pros and cons to every property. I am adaptable, and I'm experienced enough to have a good idea of where my priorities lie. I can appreciate the perception that it sounds like I'm having to talk myself into it—i argue extensively with myself about everything so that sort of internal dialogue (in this case shared with all of you,) just goes with the territory.

P.S. Hi, I'm Rachel. Nice to meet you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine