Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times

Advertisements

Sure it costs me about $160 to fill up the Suburban right now, but even pulling a trailer I can go almost 700 miles between gas stops so it isn't as bad as people think. Right now gas up here is $3.999 a gallon and I usually put in 40 gallons when I fill up. Just driving without pulling a trailer I can go almost 900 miles down the highway. Running around town I can usually go 3 weeks between fills. It isn't going to put an end to our trips this summer, and I think that people are so set on their vacation time it is going to make an impact, but a rather small one overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times
I do not know how much "travelling" tourism there is....the kind where people travell down rt 1 and stay a different places and sight see, I am wondering if that may change. People might be more apt to just go from point a to point b and just stay put. I do not know.....We cancelled our plans to go to Va this June . I do not know how I am gonna get by next year with anything over $4 oil.....

Old 05-21-2008, 04:51 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times
Our car gets about 30 mpg too, I figure from Florida to Maine is going to be about $220 one way. It won't stop us, but I pity the van and SUV drivers. I think they will stay close to home. I know for the first time Georgia advertised in the Florida papers last week. They were touting the north Georgia mountains, and advertised them as a leisurely days drive. The truth, and a lot less than making it to The moutains of West Virginia.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Sure it costs me about $160 to fill up the Suburban right now, but even pulling a trailer I can go almost 700 miles between gas stops so it isn't as bad as people think. Right now gas up here is $3.999 a gallon and I usually put in 40 gallons when I fill up. Just driving without pulling a trailer I can go almost 900 miles down the highway. Running around town I can usually go 3 weeks between fills. It isn't going to put an end to our trips this summer, and I think that people are so set on their vacation time it is going to make an impact, but a rather small one overall
As long as you can afford it more power to you! Some folks really need a big truck or Suburban as you obviously do. The alternative is running two or three smaller cars and paying the gas, insurance and maintenence on those....and they still won't pull a trailer of any size.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
As long as you can afford it more power to you! Some folks really need a big truck or Suburban as you obviously do. The alternative is running two or three smaller cars and paying the gas, insurance and maintenence on those....and they still won't pull a trailer of any size.
I am having a love/hate relationship with my trucks right now. I'm definitely a pick up kind of guy. On any given day I'm towing a utility trailer or some piece of equipment or a horse trailer full of sheep or moving materials or even hay. Both trucks are needed most days. The HD 2500 is averaging 12 mpg and the smaller 1500 somewhere around 15 mpg. Gas is now costing us more than groceries (for a family of 6). I'm really getting worried.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:07 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
I'm hoping that the high price of gas will not deter the tourists from coming. We all know too many people whos livelihood depends upon the tourism. Our friends that work within the service industry, our small business owners, not to mention our fisherman. Bring em' in folks, our economy needs them.

As locals, we also know the downside of that as well, but we won't mention it here. It's a relatively short season and they do stimulate our economy.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,369,025 times
Tourism is a by-product of the cheap-energy era...might be time for folks to get back on their bicycles, bring back horses and buggies, and get back to meaningful activities like growing food and making useful things...

Word on the street is >$5/gal by end of summer, which is going to destroy automobile-based tourism for most everybody except the wealthy, which in turn is going to create an even larger gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots'.

Tourists could become helpless targets of homicidal unemployed sheetrockers looking for cash to get their next fix of crystal meth....

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Word on the street is >$5/gal by end of summer, which is going to destroy automobile-based tourism for most everybody except the wealthy, which in turn is going to create an even larger gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots'.

Tourists could become helpless targets of homicidal unemployed sheetrockers looking for cash to get their next fix of crystal meth....
The major problems with this generalization is, Not all tourists are going to be wealthy even if gas hits $5 or higher. Some people are going to save up and may not make as many trips, and not take vacation every year or two, but will still go. Same thing was said at $2 a gallon, and at $3 a gallon. Sure there is going to be a breaking point, but it is not going to stop all but the wealthy from taking an automobile based vacation, slow it way down - yes; stop it totally though - no.

Second one is that not all construction people are meth addicts, I know you said sheetrockers in particular, but it speaks to all the trades. In fact very few in any trade I know, do meth. We are talking 2 or 3 out of hundreds.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,369,025 times
I was trying to be funny, but nevermind...

Time will tell just how well the average person can handle gas at >$5 per gallon, I guess. Some people can rearrange things to accommodate it while others will freak out.

Companies running tour buses, boats, etc. are going to raise prices to offset higher fuel costs, and fisherman will raise the price of their catch to offset their higher fuel prices as well. There are many examples of just how much that $130/bbl oil is going to affect everything related to tourism and then some.

Look no further than American Airlines. They're in the tourism business. And they are in big trouble...

Old 05-22-2008, 08:42 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
The price of gas is not going to stop tourists from coming into this state. Look at the history of tourism in New England and you will see that tourism to Maine has always remained strong no matter what the economic situation of the country was.

Another thing, there are a lot of tourists who come to this state via boat/ship and tour bus (at least to Southern Maine). A tour bus only needs to raise it's ticket price by a few bucks in order to make up for the current raise in gas prices. Hardly anything that is going to keep a tourist at bay.

There have been a few nasty reports speculating the impact of high gas prices on travel plans, but from what I have been reading many people are tired of the 'doom and gloom' of the current economic situation in this country and are more then looking forward to any (and all) vacation plans that they may have. That trip to Thailand may get cancelled this year but it IS being replace by a domestic trip to another state.

As BacktoNE stated, there are still plenty of people out there who can afford to vacation (and many many people whose homes are not heated by oil).

Personally, I do not think that the current gas prices are going to make a dent in Maine's tourists industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine