Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 12:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times

Advertisements

3:08 am Out of bed, make coffee, shower, take an incredible amount of camo clothing to truck.

4:02 am Leave house to meet our friend and guide for the morning, Peter.

4:12 am "Got your license?" Turn around, go home, get license. At least we were only 10 miles away and not 30.

4:45 am Meet up with Peter. He's been in a field nearby calling for the last 15 minutes. No answer.

Drive to Weston, walk down the side of a huge hill, through the bushes, through two small streams where I sink to my ankles in mud, sit in the cold wind at the edge of the field. Listen as Peter tries several calls. There's probably a turkey in the distance according to the crows but after 45 minutes it still hasn't moved or answered Peter. Wait patiently. Pull hood of Steve's much too big camo coat up over already camouflaged head to get warmer. Give up and move on.

6 am Stop at a store to potty and reluctantly bypass the nice hot coffee I really wanted.

6:20 am some where in Danforth. Walk across a field and through the woods to the edge of another field. Repeat 4:45 am stop.

We were near a deer farm and Peter offered to take me there so I could take photos. I said yes, of course.
An impressive red stag.

Fallow deer.

From there we stopped and called in six or eight places and didn't get an answer. I think it was too windy. On the way back to Peter's we passed a tom on a side road. We backed up and went in where we saw him but he was long gone. No answer from him either. On to Prentiss where I took this picture of Katahdin.

And then to Peter's to get our truck and meet up for a quick burger in Danforth. I came home disappointed that not only did I not get my turkey but that we saw only one turkey for only three seconds.

Home again by 12:30 pm. I'm tired. Let the ducks out, make sure my own turkeys have enough food and water for the rest of the day, check on turkey nests. Back to the house. Sit down to the computer and get to work. Hear gobbling. Hear more gobbling. Pay enough attention to realize the gobbling is coming from the front of the house, not the back. Look out the window and see these guys 30' away. They were standing on the side of the road when I stood up but I scared them and they headed for the woods.

I raise Bourbon Reds. These are Eastern Wilds. Insert swear word here. We can't hunt here, they're on the other side of a paved road, I'm much too close to that paved road, and it's after legal time (ends at noon daily) but I could draw an imaginary bead on them easily!

I'm debating on going again tomorrow morning. If not then, I'll go one day next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
I love hunting stories Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
The pictures are beautiful! Are fallow deer native to Maine? I saw them just once, here in RI, at a wildlife preserve. They are not native to RI. However, wild turkeys are very much native here, esp in Kent County where we live. They fly low, slow, and clumsy and sometimes flap right past me in the yard when my mind is on something else. If I were to go looking for them, I wouldn't find even one!

Hope you get your bird! Yum!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Writer, it's funny how calling them in, changes as the season gets late. A lot of hens are setting and the Toms aren't as easily enticed by yelping. Seems they've pretty much had their fill for the Spring. I'm going to post a Tom taken by a girl I know, shot this morning. She called and called, but the Tom and two Jakes were not interested and walked away. She looped around the field in the woodline and happened to get lucky when the troop turned toward her. She laid flat on the ground, steadied her 12 guage and when they were 25 yards out, took the Tom. About an 8 inch beard, but only weighed 15 pounds. Just like deer, the turkey will lose weight in the latter part of the season.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,158 times
i got a big tom a week ago but i cant put up the pic becouse it says no dead pic's
would it help if i told you he was just sleeping.or takeing a nap or some thing.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:23 PM

566 posts, read 1,418,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i got a big tom a week ago but i cant put up the pic becouse it says no dead pic's
would it help if i told you he was just sleeping.or takeing a nap or some thing.
Too funny!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
We were out calling to the toms across the road late this afternoon. I think they're answering because they see my turkeys. A few days ago I could hear them across the road but not see them. If they were quiet I spoke quietly to my toms to make them gobble and get the process started again. I'm thoroughly amused by turkeys this week.

Ranger, napping critters are ok! There's enough warning between your first about it and when you put in the pic that anyone not wanting to see a napping turkey can stop reading.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:48 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We were out calling to the toms across the road late this afternoon. I think they're answering because they see my turkeys. A few days ago I could hear them across the road but not see them. If they were quiet I spoke quietly to my toms to make them gobble and get the process started again. I'm thoroughly amused by turkeys this week.

Ranger, napping critters are ok! There's enough warning between your first about it and when you put in the pic that anyone not wanting to see a napping turkey can stop reading.
our little girl got hers we have a pic of that one napping in her lap.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
LOL! That is funny! Beautiful pictures and great post, Maine Writer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine