Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 12:45 PM

16 posts, read 18,326 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information on how the woods around Bangor and Old Town are during summer, and more specifically what are the names of the trees in that area.

By what I could see using Google Maps and Google Street View, the area is a little swampy and boggy, not sure it's because of the time of the year the image was taken.

Where I'm looking at is exactly at the end of 116, where it turns west before ending on Bennoch Rd.

Would it be possible for someone to camp there during the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 07:51 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsalvagni View Post
You'd need to find the owner and get permission.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:41 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
I'm looking for information on how the woods around Bangor and Old Town are during summer, and more specifically what are the names of the trees in that area.

By what I could see using Google Maps and Google Street View, the area is a little swampy and boggy, not sure it's because of the time of the year the image was taken.

Where I'm looking at is exactly at the end of 116, where it turns west before ending on Bennoch Rd.

I live along rt 116 about 6 miles from Bennoch road [rt 16].

I have two parcels of land. One is 45-acre square with my house in the center of the square. The other is directly across the road and it is 105-acres. It is one mile deep with a jeep trail running through the center.

The jeep trail has not been bush-hogged this year, so nobody uses it, and I expect the weeds to be chest high by now. The neighbor who was bush-hogging it for me has recently died, and I do not know of any other neighbors willing to clear it for me. If someone were to setup a tent in the middle of the jeep trail, that person would be in utter isolation [except for the occasional bear, coyote or bobcat, and the ever-present eagles.]

You are welcome to come check it out if you wish.

When you hike a mile into the woods, you generally feel pretty remote and isolated.

There is a lot of peat bog in this area.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You'd need to find the owner and get permission.
Is every piece of land there private? Even the woods by the riverbank?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Is every piece of land there private? Even the woods by the riverbank?
yes.

In Maine, every square-foot of land is owned by someone, and over 92% of the state is forest.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live along rt 116 about 6 miles from Bennoch road [rt 16].

I have two parcels of land. One is 45-acre square with my house in the center of the square. The other is directly across the road and it is 105-acres. It is one mile deep with a jeep trail running through the center.

The jeep trail has not been bush-hogged this year, so nobody uses it, and I expect the weeds to be chest high by now. The neighbor who was bush-hogging it for me has recently died, and I do not know of any other neighbors willing to clear it for me. If someone were to setup a tent in the middle of the jeep trail, that person would be in utter isolation [except for the occasional bear, coyote or bobcat, and the ever-present eagles.]

You are welcome to come check it out if you wish.

When you hike a mile into the woods, you generally feel pretty remote and isolated.

There is a lot of peat bog in this area.

Wow this is very useful information, Submariner! Thank you. Would you say the summer is the best time to camp out in the woods around the area?

Also, in case you know this, what are the trees growing in that area? Some kind of pine maybe?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
yes.

In Maine, every square-foot of land is owned by someone, and over 92% of the state is forest.
Have you or your neighbors ever had problems with people camping in your proprietary or just cutting their way through it?

Also, I believe that there are trails around the area that are public, or no? Also the Penobscot River Paddling Trail I believe.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Wow this is very useful information, Submariner! Thank you. Would you say the summer is the best time to camp out in the woods around the area?
I find snowshoeing exhausting. I have a few pairs of snowshoes, but I have not learned to enjoy them.

Once there is a foot of snow on the ground camping takes on a new meaning.

When I was a teenager I lived near Yosemite Park and I enjoyed winter camping in Yosemite. But now I am old and my tastes have changed.

Quote:
... Also, in case you know this, what are the trees growing in that area? Some kind of pine maybe?
The UM-Orono website has a page that teaches how to identify all local trees. I found it one time and I downloaded all the photos, in the hope that I would learn them [I did not]. I suggest that you try their website.

Quote:
Have you or your neighbors ever had problems with people camping in your proprietary or just cutting their way through it?
No.

Quote:
... Also, I believe that there are trails around the area that are public, or no? Also the Penobscot River Paddling Trail I believe.
My land includes a quarter-mile of river frontage on the Penobscot River. I have been a part of a couple expeditions of university grad students out canoeing from Howland down to Belfast. It is a lot of fun. There are Penobscot tribe members who are licensed Guides that take these group down the river, they are a wealth of knowledge.

There is a Penobscot River Restoration group that I belong to, and I am familiar with the River Paddling group. A few years ago they asked a number of land owners for campsites, I responded as soon as I heard of the plan. But one of my neighbors [Peter] had attended the meeting and he volunteered his land first.
Peter and I are only two miles apart. It was decided that they wanted the campsites to be evenly spread out along the river, so once his offer was accepted mine was turned down.

The only 'public' land along the river is small parcels owned by the townships along the river and they are dedicated as boat ramps. it gives town residents designated spots to launch their boats, they often have a parking lot, a picnic bench, and sometimes a garbage can.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The UM-Orono website has a page that teaches how to identify all local trees. I found it one time and I downloaded all the photos, in the hope that I would learn them [I did not]. I suggest that you try their website.

Thank you! Very informative and right what I was looking to know.

I've found this on maine.gov: https://www.maine.gov/ifw/programs-r...m/explore.html

How true is that from your experience living in the area? Is it common for people to just find a place to camp even though is a private property (if they don't make a mess or anything)?

I ask this because so much of Maine is private and most of it is forest land. I imagine it's not difficult to find a place in the woods/forest that is isolated enough to camp for a while, even if is posted.

I also ask this because I know people who say they boondock their RV around that area and other places around the country, just find a safe spot to spend a few nights, maybe a week, and move on cleaning after themselves. Not sure if they ever had problems with the landowner, though.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:35 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
I ask this because so much of Maine is private and most of it is forest land. I imagine it's not difficult to find a place in the woods/forest that is isolated enough to camp for a while, even if is posted.
This is the kind of disrespect that will ruin it for everyone. If we were talking about using your vehicle without permission, it would be theft. Eventually, people who feel entitled and think they have a right to use posted land will cause the law to be changed to require permission first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine