Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 AM

104 posts, read 338,604 times

Advertisements

My DH and I have been cleaning out our basement and we found from 1939 (2) beautiful cedar chests and (2) real fur coats one is mink (I don't know the years on these). What should we do put them in a yard sale or bring them somewhere else? These items were his Memere's and mom's. They are both deceased and have been for over 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,435 times
I asked this question to a friend of mine. He said to pick up a book on antiques. It tells alot of hows, who, when and where it was made, and how these things run. I wondered if I took something some place would they tell me the truth or say it's "junk" and will take it off my hands for a few dollars.

I'm waiting to hear more too K&K. Good Question.
Tami~peachie

Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
I would check with family. You could have somebody that would treasure these items. Then check with a local dealer with a reputation for honesty. Be aware that antique dealers will offer the item they purchased from you at double the price retail. Don't be offended. You can be offended if they offer it at 10 times the price though. Then you were taken.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
E-bay

Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 AM

104 posts, read 338,604 times
Do you think they are worth anything? I would hate to let them go in a yardsale if they are worth something.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&KsMom View Post
Do you think they are worth anything? I would hate to let them go in a yardsale if they are worth something.
Cedar is a soft wood and is generally considered 'cheap' as far as furniture is concerned. However since the desks are antiques might bring some worth to them, but how much worth also depends on the craftsmanship, current condition and where/who built them. Since they are cedar, I would speculate that they were 'mass produced' and probably won't get more then a couple of hundred dollars for them. With out seeing them, I would guess that since they are from 1939 then possibly $150 at a minimum and up to possibly $600 per item.

The fur coats could be worth some serious cash, especially if they are antiques as well. I would do some research (via the internet) on the manufacturer and possible year of production. You could very easily sell them for $500 a piece (considering that they are in good condition), but they could very well go into the thousands. I highly recommend that you research these items before you attempt to sell any of them.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,268 times
The great thing about cedar chests is that they are natural moth repellants. I have 2 beautiful old ones I use to store winter bedding. Perhaps hold on to those- do you have any children, nieces or cousins who might treasure them?

As for fur coats- hard to place a value- condition and proper storage is key.
Also what was in fashion in my mom's or grandmother's time differs greatly from each other and from now. I donated 2 old ones I inherited to the Refugee Resettlement ( Catholic Charities) in Portland 15 years ago. The coats were happily given to a newly resettled resident from a warmer country!

Good luck to you!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,143 times
Fur is not a very desirable commodity lately. You might think about consigning them to someone who sells vintage clothing for the summer.

I just had a lot of fur coats I sold for peanuts. The six Victorian seal coats, I figured at $30 each. The mink, rabbit, fox and other 20th century accessories are hard movers. Check Ebay, I think they are just out of vogue.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Fur is not a very desirable commodity lately. You might think about consigning them to someone who sells vintage clothing for the summer.

I just had a lot of fur coats I sold for peanuts. The six Victorian seal coats, I figured at $30 each. The mink, rabbit, fox and other 20th century accessories are hard movers. Check Ebay, I think they are just out of vogue.
Maybe out of vogue, but I WOULD wear fur -- as I wear leather -- because it's part of who I am. Not for fashion but for other reasons. I cannot afford hundreds or thousands of dollars, though... I am planning to learn to tan and that way I can at least have rabbit fur...

For $30 a pop, though, I would be interested in any fur that fit my short, ample frame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine