Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2023, 06:50 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone interested, The Maine Department of inland fisheries and wildlife has opened up Swan Island for free camping. (The Steve Powell Wildlife Management Area, not Swans island in the Atlantic.)
Swan island is in the Kennebec river, between Richmond, and Dresden.

The only catch is you have to get across the Kennebec yourself... (There used to be a small ferry run by Inland Fisheries but apparently they ran afoul of State ferry regulations.)

The good news is it's only a short row across from the Richmond landing. Be mindful of the current at low tide times.

It's a beautiful island with miles of trails, and much wildlife.

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/programs-r...here-fees.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...2tr2?entry=ttu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 06:17 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Great info! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-10-2023, 08:41 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Prior to this news was Swan Island only open for day hiking, etc? Thanks. Just so much to do and see in Maine and so little time.

Old 07-10-2023, 12:23 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Prior to this news was Swan Island only open for day hiking, etc? Thanks. Just so much to do and see in Maine and so little time.
The sign by the (former) ferry indicates camping. The Google street view is dated 2018.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0879...6656?entry=ttu

Old 07-10-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
There has been camping there for a while by reservation and I believe a fee. But with the ferry service gone they decided to make it free and open, first come first serve.

They used to run a small barge back and forth, carrying passengers, until someone realized that you need a state licensed captain to transport passengers, Inland fisheries decided that it was not worth the time, or money to get the license.

A co-worker went there this past weekend and said there was only three sites being used, out of ten.
there is a full bathroom on the island with fresh water also.
Not a bad deal if you have a canoe or kayak.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
When. roaming the back roads of Maine, you will find evidence of recent logging. There will be a tree harvest notification, usually nailed to a tree. This notifies the forestry people who is doing or did the harvest. Ask people in the area who owns the land. If you explain that you just want a place to park and camp and that you won't leave a mess and you can usually get permission to camp there. I live on 107 acres with a nice brook and trails. I let people camp there with permission. Caution! If you want a campfire, you need a fire permit. You don't need a fire permit for a propane or Coleman stove. I have an old one burner gasoline Coleman that I have had for well over 30 years. It's a little heavy for back packing. I recently bought a one burner lamp that simply screws onto a one pound propane bottle. I like it. Buy a few spare mantles for it. They are delicate after being used.

In my opinion, the only good thing about unleaded gasoline is that there is no lead in your cook stove and lamp. Real Coleman fuel has never had lead in it, but it is expensive.

Old 08-12-2023, 12:17 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In my opinion, the only good thing about unleaded gasoline is that there is no lead in your cook stove and lamp. Real Coleman fuel has never had lead in it, but it is expensive.

Coleman white gas was $4/gal in the 60s

Old 08-14-2023, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Coleman white gas was $4/gal in the 60s
It's $20 at Paris Farmers union, Might be cheaper at Wally world though.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:53 PM

603 posts, read 622,781 times
Roadrat, thank you for posting this. It looks like a nice place to camp. To what extent could the tidal currents be a problem for paddling around the north end of the island and down the east side to the campground?? The state website describes the current as "strong."

Old 08-23-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Roadrat, thank you for posting this. It looks like a nice place to camp. To what extent could the tidal currents be a problem for paddling around the north end of the island and down the east side to the campground?? The state website describes the current as "strong."
Personally I would make the paddle at high tide, incoming tide is not too bad but I would definitely avoid trying while the tide is out going.

According to google maps it's only 725ft from the Richmond landing to the island landing, or 1.7 miles around the top of the island to the camp site landing.

I've never tried it myself. Just going by what others in the area have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine