Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times

Advertisements

I just discovered that our three large maple trees in my front yard are dropping their leaves. All of the leaves are turning black and curling and crumbeling. Right now half the leaves have black spots (looks like black measles) and the other half the leaves are turning completely black. It has covered both trees completely and some of the third tree (on the side touching the 2nd tree). This has happened fast.....with in the last week. The tree had just dropped its seeds (I call them helecopters because of the way they fall), and I do not see anything else unusual...all of the bark and branches look good. The trees are only 10-12 years old.

Anyone have any ideas. I will try and take a picture. I did read about fire blight but this has not effected any of the bark or branches and everything I read about fire blight showed how it effected the bark too. I did lose 5 fruit trees several years ago because of "black knot".....this does not look like that.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:49 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times
quick google search found something called "tar spots"...Cornell U has a good article on it. Sorry...for some reason it won't let me paste it here for you...maybe someone else can try.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
there are a few pics here might help.

TreeHelp.com: Trees: Maple Insects and Diseases

Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Tar Spot: dramatic but inconsequential disease on maples. Up to one-inch diameter tar-like spots on leaves. The fungus overwinters on fallen leaves, then infects the upper surfaces of leaves in spring during moist conditions. Leaf spots are first a yellowish green but by mid to late summer a tar-like mesh of fungal and leaf tissue develops inside the yellowed area. Occasionally some leaf withering and drop occurs but this is not generally serious.

Rake up the leaves in the fall, and hit the ground with a fungicide to prevent re-infection.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I am wondering if these trees were flooded in the recent floods that effected your property and if so, if this could be the problem.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Thanks everyone. right now the tar spots look familiar but I think what I got is in the same family of disease as the tar spots. Still not confirmed I will be calling the city aborist to come look at them. The disease starts at the tips of the leaves and works its way devouring the whole leave. where the leave is black it just crumbles into a black ash/poweder like they were over cooked. I'd hate to lose them

Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
You may find a call to University of Maine Cooperative Extension helpful:

University of Maine Cooperative Extension Integrated Pest Management (http://www.umext.maine.edu/topics/pest.htm - broken link)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Update

So, When I used to live in Lewiston the city aborists was always couteous and helpful. He was always willing to come out to people's houses and assist them with any problems they were having. A true professional who enjoyed his job!!

Unfortunately here Auburn I was not able to get any help from the city aborists. He basically said it was a private matter and to call a tree company.

So I called Lewiston's aborists and explained to him about the problem we were having and how I was not able to identify the disease,(and now other maple's in the neighboirhood have it also). And wouldn't you know it, As usual he was more than willing to come out and look at them which he did the other day. Come to find out he can not ID the disease. He called today and told us the state was sending the state aborists to come look at all the trees in the neighborhood to help identify whats going on.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Wow! What excellent service and shame on the Auburn aborist..his lack of information could just cost the city of Auburn some trees if it is a new disease .... his lack of coordination with the state and with Lewiston....could prove to be expensive lesson in defining ones job too narrowly!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
... his lack of coordination with the state and with Lewiston....could prove to be expensive lesson in defining ones job too narrowly!
Ah, the old "It's not my job" That's what was going on at work when I retired a couple of years ago, and a major part of the reason I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine