Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 AM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times

Advertisements

Good story and glad nobody was hurt. I agree - the cops fault ultimately.

Interesting points though on the speed people drive. I find MANY people drive way to slow for me. I have been debating putting these comments out since they will likely **** off someone.

People in maine drive far too slow at times. In the past week, I have been caught repeatedly behind people driving well under the speed limit on roads that are in fine shape and conditions. 30 in a 40. 35 in a 55. 25 in a 35. People stopping in the middle of the road because they don't know which turn to take, so they stop and pull out the map - in a 45 zone - in the MIDDLE of the road. Even 50 in a 55 on llooonnnggg straights ( rt 113 from fryburg). Then they get pissy when you pass them. What gives?

A bumpy road - sure - slow down. I don't want to lose control or wreck my vehicle. But many many times people just drive slow. Save gas? the difference between 35 and 45 can't be much if anything - probably nothing. I get so angry sometimes that I just have to stop and take a break, or the creap driver going so slow might end up getting broken.

And the majority of the slow drivers seem to be elderly - my parents and brother included. If you think driving slow is safer - you are severely mistaken. You need to be going the flow of traffic. Backing up traffic behind you creates a number of safety issues. Even on the interstate - my parents drive 55 - try to save gas - in a 65 zone. I keep telling them that is more hazardous. I drive 18 miles of interstate every day, and repeately have to avoid people driving 55 on the interstate. They back up traffic and trucks and everyone needs to slam on their brakes as they try to merge and get around them. So you save a dollar on gas, and someone eventually will have to pay thousands in vehicle repairs after getting rearended.

I also believe there are issues with speed limits placed on roads in maine. My town - my road - is 45 mph. Houses easily 100 yards apart and away from street. Yarmouth, Cumberland, Falmouth, Cape - all have speed limits in their towns on similar streets that are 35, 30 and 25. Same road construction, breakdown lanes, house spacing. Go figure. Perhaps they are just better than the rest of us and deserve lower speeds so less chance of someone getting hurt? I basically boycott the towns that have limits that I think are ridiculous.

rant complete. - thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
I basically boycott the towns that have limits that I think are ridiculous.
I'm sure the feeling is mutual....if your not going to respect the local speed limits then they would appreciate drivers, like yourself, who thinks they know what is better for their town then they do, go somewhere else.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
Well, when you come up on someone at 90 mph and have to brake, you also irritate them. I tend to be a slow driver, and I will glady even pull off the road if I am on a sightseeing venture. Speed does also drastically affect gas mileage. Stopping in the middle of the road is dangerous. I am usually at the speed limit however, and I resent the fact that some drivers completely disregard speed laws. I have had my share of tickets during my driving career. But, I subscribe to the motto, if you are late and in a hurry and need to drive that fast, you should have left for your destination earlier. I should not be penalized by the fact you can't budget your time, I drive the speed limit and usually arrive early at my destination. My rant is done also.

Last edited by maine4.us; 07-10-2008 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 AM

400 posts, read 794,956 times
I tend to drive just slightly above the speed limit on highways - 55-60 in a 55 mph zone; 65-70 in a 65 mph zone. If someone wants to get by, I let them, if someone doesn't want to do my speed and I can't get past them, I fall back and maintain their speed - when you tailgate you're giving control of your car over to the driver you're tailgating, I like to control my own car. When I drive on residential streets I drive at or slightly below the speed limit. Of course, all of this depends on conditions and circumstances.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Now that was funny!!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
if i had a dollar for every time i have been cut off over the years.id be so freakin rich that id have to hire some one to help spend the money.i bet 10 or 12 times a day for15 or 16 years.and people wonder why truck drivers are strest out.but in that time not one accident.i belong to the million mile club twice.the million mile club is reserved for those truck drivers that have had no accidents or incidents for just what it means one million miles.i couldnt tell you how many wrecks i have seen over the years.but this tred is about cutting some one off and piling on the breaks.if your going to do that you better be prepared for the ending.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
Low speed limits and strict enforcement works. There are two towns here in Florida, Waldo, and Hampton that are designated by the AAA as speed traps. They have made quite a stir in the last few years because of this. Both towns have stretches of a divided 4 lane highway in them. The speed limit in Florida is 65 on roads such as this and both cities have set speed limits of 35 in their town limits. They even advertise that there is zero tolerance for speeders in their towns. Do they have safe towns, you bet. I don't think there has ever been an accident in either of these towns on the 4 lane highway. There are businesses locatedo n both sides of the highway and people do cross the highway to do business. So, are they speed traps, you betcha, but do they keep their townspeople safe, sure. They police are out on the highway 24/7. They will even talk to the truckers on channel 19 when they pass through. In fact, one of the policeman has a cb handle "The Silver Bullet." I have talked to him many times when I pass through.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times
If I'm going my usual 10-15% over the posted speed limit and somebody is clearly driving too aggressive & riding my rear bumper, I'll just sit tight and wait them out, anticipating some dumb move on their part as their agitation grows. The European thing to do is flash the brights as you are coming up on slower moving vehicles in your lane, and they take that as a signal to move over and let you by. If you are going to be an a-hole and ride my rear, then I'm gonna reciprocate. Give me the brights and hang back so I have time to change lanes, I'll gladly move over. I love antagonizing idiot drivers. If they crash and burn, it's just Darwin at work in my eyes.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM

32 posts, read 54,064 times
what ranger is'nt telling you is that he drive's like a little old man.i dont think he has had his pickup over 70.and on the back roads it's like 40 or 45.on the highway it drive's me crazy he go's 60 sets his cruse at 60 he tell's me he is in no hurry life is to short to hurry.but id like to get their befor im old.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 PM

277 posts, read 891,734 times
The thing that has really caught my attention on the roads as of late are people that speed up when you try to pass them. I have seen it happening almost daily, people who are going well under the speed limit then either I or someone else try to pass and they speed right up so that it is harder to pass them. I will admit that I do drive faster than the speed limit on open roads, but in town if the sign says 25, then 25 it is. I can't stand it when people tailgate me. If I'm going the speed limit or slightly above/below and someone is right on my bumper I will slow down significantly just to show the person that tailgating isn't the answer. People are getting more and more disrespectful on the roads today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: