Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadams1965 View Post
Thanks for the replys so far. I'm not ignorant going into this, I have spent a fair amount of time in Maine on vacations over the years and travelled quite a bit around the state. Dogs years ago we went up to Waterville for my dh at the time to have a job interview and we loved some of the areas we went to. We got a relocation package from Camden and yes year round rentals do seem to be few and far between. There were, however plenty of jobs to be had if you aren't picky about what you do. I'm not adverse to a bit of hard work, that's for sure. Camden is my Mom's fault. She is working for a lady who used to live there and still has a camp up there. I also like the Belfast area. I'm 43 and been through a hell of a lot the past few years and really just want to live where getting to the coast is not an unreasonable ride.
The only problem with not being picky about jobs is thr pay. Do you want to make $7.50/hr. or $20/hr.?
Even at $20/hr, with the price of heating oil, its going to be tough making a go of it.

We recently moved to NM, after spending my whole life in ME. We moved for my health, first and foremost. My husband is doing the same work here, and working all the hours he wants. In Maine, he worked steady but the overtime was not there anymore as things are slow.
The best advice I can give is......have jobs lined up before you move, no matter where you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM

34 posts, read 133,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I worked at a brewery in Camden( which is no longer there)for a number of years and commuted back and forth from Freeport everyday six days a week (WHICH IN HINDSIGHT WAS NUTS BUT GAS WAS CHEAP AND I WAS YOUNGER!). The people who worked in the Brew pub lived generally inland several miles in towns like Hope, Union, Appleton, Warren and places like that. Some of them would rent a coastal apartment in the fall in places like Rockport or Lincolnville though they usually had to move out in May as the rents tripled or quadrupled for the summer season. With two kids I doubt you want to move twice a year just for a five month icy water view. Work and careers are two different things. If you two can make enough on two $8.00/hr 40 hour weeks to live on you can live and work most anywhere you can afford. I'm afraid the $40,000 a year starting salaries in Camden left with MBNA. You pretty much get what you can afford in Maine. Water views can be had for middle income folks way up the coast but travel to viable work is much longer and even marginally affordable places will be a stretch for most working budgets.
Forget the midcoast region From Acadia all the way to Kittery. These places are comparible to The north shore of Boston as Acadionlion stated and will be far out of reach unless you hit the Irish Sweepstakes before you arrive! Most modest houses in these areas start in the $600,000 range ( for a winterized cottage)up to $1,000,000 or more for a larger four bedroom house.

Maineah the prices you quote is that for a house by the ocean?.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fife View Post
Maineah the prices you quote is that for a house by the ocean?.
Oh yes definately! Just a few hundred feet away from a water view prices will drop in half. Inland further by 2/3ds. Our house is 1 1/2 to two miles from the ocean as the crow flies, I can smell high tide when the breeze is out of the south. Our house is assessed at around $440,000 give or take depending on the current market conditions. We have an over sized Cape with three bedrooms ,two baths, a garage, and a 36'X48' barn on 3 acres. My inlaw's camp right on the water about a five minute drive from here is assessed at over 3/4 of a million dollars simply because it in on the water. It is seasonal, unheated, uninsulated, two bedrooms and one bathroom with just a shower, It's in nice shape. It has a fairly small 1/2 acre lot and one small outbuilding and a deep water dock.
So water views really jack the price WAY up. Being actually situated on the water REALLY boosts the price.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 PM

182 posts, read 490,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadams1965
My Mom sent me the book "Moving to Maine" and the more I read, the more I know it is the place we should be and raise our boys.

Thank you,

Karen
You got that right! We are about 35 min west of Belfast. It's gods country for sure.

I know of a small home that will be available in Jackson to rent right about when you are arriving. I'm pretty sure it's a two bedroom though.

Last edited by bringselpup; 07-30-2008 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: messed up the quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine